Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
...is my Daughter

EArly 930 Turbo emissions systems question

Hi all: I was lucky enough to pick up an original owner 930 turbo (manufac date 1/76). The car sat pretty much since 1980. I need to get the car smog checked in California. I was checking for air pump or EGR and see neither. There are no thermal reactors, just headers coming off the exhaust and no air pump that I can see. The vehicle tag indicates this car to be a "non catalyst" car.

Does anyone know what emission controls came with this car? (Its a California car) Either the emissions components that I'm looking for were removed from the motor or I'm not looking for the right stuff. Or better yet....these cars were not equipped with either.

Here's a pic of my new baby...

TIA...

Felmir Singson RGruppe #479
"Living the rest of my life, one minute at a time"
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
1976 and before... No emissions, or even smog checks... even in California!
Enjoy she looks great!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
...is my Daughter

Thanks Sean: The smog check exemption applies to 75 and earlier. Are you saying there were no emissions equipment with my 76 to begin with?

Felmir Singson RGruppe #479
"Living the rest of my life, one minute at a time"
Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Felmir,

Beautiful car! Since your car is not exempt from smog certification in Calif, it will have to pass the visual inspection for all original smog equipment and it will have to pass the CO% requirement as well on the dyno. This is what needs to happen for you to transfer title and then you will need to pass a inspection every 2 years. Even the "non-catalyst" cars had an air pump, egr valve, and a the dreaded thermal exhaust manifolds. Some tech's don't pick up on the some the OEM exhaust stuff, but I wouldn't risk failing an inspection at a station for lack of smog equipment. Once you fail that part of the inspection you are flagged in the "system" , and would need to restore it back to original state. I would first take the car to the local Porsche guru and see if he can get the car smogged for you. See what his experience is for getting this type of car through. Otherwise you will need to hunt down all of the stuff down to get it back to original.

On my 77, i replaced the entire exhaust to the later 86 version with a "J pipe" but I retained the air pump and all of the other stuff. Because I used all OEM exhaust, the smog techs don't pick up on it. Good luck.....
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Really???
I was sure the the exemption was 76 and older?
Yep, just checked the DMV...
California really does suck!!!
I would follow 77 930's info...
Or find a friendly smog station
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

My 77 930 is non cat and has airpump..

The air pump is behind motor on driverside, it is ran by another belt and idler pulley that also runs turbo oilpump. I removed the airpump and six nozzles to heads and plugged holes, I am keeping everything original for car though. Jamie
Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: