Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
What are these symptoms of?

I just put a new battery in... AFR's/timing/idle have just been set.
I am experiencing a fluctuating idle when there is an eletcrical drain. (headlights/HVAC/windows etc.)

Alternator?
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Are you running the stock ignition system?
When my alternator(worn brushes) went on my car (crank fire twin plug Electromotive) there was an ignition misfire with all the accessories on.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Are you running the stock ignition system?
When my alternator(worn brushes) went on my car (crank fire twin plug Electromotive) there was an ignition misfire with all the accessories on.
When mine did that, my boost and Tach gauge started acting strange with the needles all over the place.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

les, isnt it awsome when that happens?- ive gotton that a few times
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
les, isnt it awsome when that happens?- ive gotton that a few times
Very Freaky, I had a grounding issue do it also.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Certifiable

Werk-I:
Stock ignition system, although I have been pondering MSD.

Les:
I really don't have to have ALL the acc. on for the hunting to happen. Windows alone will cause it, but only if I keep the switch switched in either direction after the desired lowering or raising has been completed.
Or headlights alone will do it.
Once off, the idle is a solid 950.
The only other needle doing anything is the oil pressure varying, although it is in accordance with the RPM fluctuation.

HMMMMMM.
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
Werk-I:
Stock ignition system, although I have been pondering MSD.

Les:
I really don't have to have ALL the acc. on for the hunting to happen. Windows alone will cause it, but only if I keep the switch switched in either direction after the desired lowering or raising has been completed.
Or headlights alone will do it.
Once off, the idle is a solid 950.
The only other needle doing anything is the oil pressure varying, although it is in accordance with the RPM fluctuation.

HMMMMMM.
Sounds like you definitely found a way to reproduce the issue. Holding the window switch when the window is against the stop, will result in higher current draw. Also, you can make it happen with multiple different draws like your headlights. To tell you the truth, I don't know if this is normal or not. I have never noticed it. I might keep an eye on my alternator though.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certifiable

Yep, that was my original thought also...
I will just have to get someone out here to run the RPM's up while I check the voltage drop across the battery, see if that thing is actually charging! I hope so... at $600
Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Yep, that was my original thought also...
I will just have to get someone out here to run the RPM's up while I check the voltage drop across the battery, see if that thing is actually charging! I hope so... at $600
Heh, Ya $600 and a PITA to install. What crazed Black Forest Elf dreamed up that wiring harness and it's connections to the alternator?

The Penalty for said Elf:

YU VILL BE HUNG FUR THIRTY DAYS AND ZEN SHOT!!
(said in my Best Sgt. Shultz accent)
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certifiable

Spot on for the accent, LOL!
I am REALLY looking forward to the install now!
Thanks Les!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Spot on for the accent, LOL!
I am REALLY looking forward to the install now!
Thanks Les!
Just one more thing on this. I wish I had done this. If you have to replace your alternator, take some time and extend the wiring harness. Somewhere, sometime, you will appreciate doing this. I wish I had the last time mine was apart. Little tidbit I picked up here on the list.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Certifiable

Should I have to change the alternator... what length would you suggest?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Should I have to change the alternator... what length would you suggest?
To me it was hard to handle the alternator with the engine out of the car on a stand. TOTAL PITA!! I would suggest 6-12 inches. When I pull mine again 12".
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certifiable

Thanks for the tip! Well cross my fingers, checking voltage tomorrow... scratch that... today! Wish me luck (please not the alternator)!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: