Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Blitzkrieg

W5DPO sparkplug???????

I was looking through the paperwork that came with my car and noticed that W5DPO plugs were installed, does this sound like an error, should be W3DPO? Do they even make W5DPOs? If not what is benefit of hotter plug? I am running Raceware studs, 1 bar spring, SC cams.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pull one and look. Sorry, that's the only to know for sure what you have. Could be a typo. If you infact have '5' and not a '3' I'm not sure how that would affect your engine.. I know a lot of 930 owners run a hotter or different/ cheaper plug and are fine. I run the W3DPO myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly535 View Post
I was looking through the paperwork that came with my car and noticed that W5DPO plugs were installed, does this sound like an error, should be W3DPO? Do they even make W5DPOs? If not what is benefit of hotter plug? I am running Raceware studs, 1 bar spring, SC cams.
That's two steps hotter. Most use at least one step hotter if they have the nutz to violate the owners handbook. Two steps means the Previous owner or his wrench had "Balls as big as pickle jars"

That means your plugs may last 5 times as long as the average 930 owner who throws his plugs out because they are fouled. If it is a street car, I wouldn't think twice.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg

Definately W5DPOs!!

I called Squire here in Seattle who installed them. He recommends 5s for street and 3 or 4s for track. Damn they are expensive though!!! So all should be good with 5s for now. Thanx, Jamie
Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly535 View Post
I called Squire here in Seattle who installed them. He recommends 5s for street and 3 or 4s for track.
Yeh. The lore is that Porsche only really built the car to homologate the turbo for racing, and originally built 500 for "friends of the factory". Which they figured would almost certainly live most of their lives on the track, or at least get driven really hard.

So they selected a suitable plug for that usage, and that's what the car was EPA-approved with.

Taken by surprise when the car became an icon and kept selling, they said "o well", and didn't really develop the car much over the years. Changing the plug specification would have required re-certification of the entire car, a not insignificant cost.

I forget exactly when they revised the plug, but it's not until the 965 Turbo 2 or the 993 TT. And they made it much hotter...

Upside of the hideously expensive platinum plugs are two-fold; better throttle response (general characteristic of a cold plug) and the fact that they don't foul in conditions where a regular plug would.

It's well-known that the stock plugs are far too cold for street. But I run them and have yet to foul one - despite the weather/traffic or road conditions not always being conducive to winding up the turbo and cleaning off the plugs...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yupp. Porsche cenrtified early turbo cars with very cold plugs. Once they figured out that most buyers never took them on track, they somewhat eased out on plug requirements later on (while using esentially same 930 engine).

So W3DPO is cold enough to survive track trashing but easily fouled on street. 5:s are same thing with deeper porcelain recess (thus hotter). How well 5:s work in track enviroment is a question (that I wouldn't seek answer to but rather install colder plugs if racing).

They will last a long time on the street though.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

FWIW, I've been running FR5DTC (triple electrode) plugs in my street turbo and even those are a little too cold by the looks of it. They are a little bit brown, but also pretty black too, so I'm contemplating stepping up to FR6LDC (996TT and 993TT) plugs.

If the high-po modded 993TT/996TT guys are still running FR6LDC plugs, then they should be OK in our cars, especially if only street drven.

Goran is right tho... if you track your car, you should go to a 4 heat range plug for extra security.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 03-30-2008, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: