Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
One Unhappy Pelican Customer

Hello,

I feel that I need to write this to make sure "Wayne" amongst others know what happened so that it will not happen to the next guy.

Unless I'm mistaken, the part number 911-106-322-01 is a Right Side Heater Duct for when backdating your heat. It says that it will fit 1965-74 and 75-89. I own an 87-930 which this part comes up as a compatible item.

My heater duct is plastic (oem) and cracked pretty severely. The car has been at the shop with the motor out doing some work that I do not have time to tackle myself. The car has been waiting at the shop over the weekend so that we could order this part on Monday to replace the damaged one.

Now for the not so fun part... Nowhere does it mention & No one will tell you that if your car has air-conditoning that this part will not work. This outlet to this heaterduct sits about 2 inches higher than the previous (oem) version and is in the way of the air-conditoner mounting bracket which the previous version is lower and tucks behind. Now, the car has to go back together (due to time contraints) with a damaged part because the one we were waiting for does not work.

I realize that I'm upset, but one would think this would have been a simple thing and much easier to do while the motor is out. Now, it will have to wait until the next time (a year or so) she is out again along with finding or purchasing an oem one which I would have done in the first place if I knew that this would happen.

So, the lesson that I learned in all this.... Post, Post, Post as many times as possible about even the simplest part when not oem so that you don't have to deal with this frustrating situation as I have.

I will say, Pelican Parts has been a great resource for me on parts and the forums, and I will continue to use them moving forward, but I hope they put this on their website so when people are shopping for items like this, there will not be any confusion as to whether or not the part actually will work for their application.

Hope this helps someone,

Bryan
CA.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If it is not too late, I have a factory one I could send you...

let me know
David
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Why don't you call their customer service line and let them fix this issue for you before you come on here bashing the very people that host this awesome site where you admittedly come to learn about your car. You WILL NOT make any friends here if you bad mouth Wayne, his staff, or his site. Sure, it's not perfect but it's the best there is by far. Who else provides parts at fair prices AND gives you a FREE forum to ask questions. I suggest you call Judy and you will find out just how truly great Pelican Parts really is. Everyone makes mistakes (as you just did by posting this here) but at least give them a chance to fix the mistake before you come here slamming them. If you really want Wayne to know then the adult way to handle this would be to call him instead of complaining on the playground.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 03-25-2008 at 03:13 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I agree it's frustrating to order a part, and then find out I've asked for the wrong item. It's happened to all of us. But I believe the responsibility is upon the purchaser to make sure that the part being ordered is the proper one--not upon the company selling said part to make sure it is compatible with whatever the purchaser has in mind. Perhaps the Pelican catalog could have indicated the fact that this particular item does not fit cars with A/C. But unless you called and discussed the order with a Pelican customer service representative prior to ordering this item, I don't think it's fair to place the blame on Pelican's doorstep. Have you called them since discovering the problem to discuss figuring out a reasonable solution?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
But I believe the responsibility is upon the purchaser to make sure that the part being ordered is the proper one--not upon the company selling said part to make sure it is compatible with whatever the purchaser has in mind.
I totally disagree with that comment.
Part of the job of the seller is to know this information. When you buy a part from Pelican or whoever, you are paying for this knowledge.
Pelican is not the low cost source of genuine Porsche parts in this country. If they can't steer their customers away from these kinds of mistakes then they will lose business to others.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

He should still give them a chance to correct their error before slamming them here.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
I totally disagree with that comment.
Part of the job of the seller is to know this information.
I guess that's the reason the Radio Shack guy always asks "Whaddya gonna use it for?". I find that really annoying because I think I know what I'm doing. The poster doesn't say directly if he spoke with someone or ordered online. If he asked the specific question and got an erroneous or non-answer, he has a right to be upset. Not sure he chose the best way to resolve the resultant problem, though.

FWIW, I'm looking at the same problem right now. There are several threads about backdating heat and how it affects a/c. Instead of "post, post, post", I'd suggest "search".

Unfortunate

-e.

"...the secret to Porsche: we do things others cannot"
Old 03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Man, I'm positive this happens every single day, suck it up, return it, and get the right part.
it's not that big a deal.

If you want to make someone aware of an error, it takes an email, not a thread
I'm not trying to be an ass or anything.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

I got a NewsFlash for ya. This kind of thing happens with the dealer also. Mercedes, Toyota, Porsche, Lexus, you name it. The Parts guys are not Certified Porsche wrenches or Mercedes wrenches or whatever. The main thing here is that you are in apparently a huge hurry. If it were me, I would have located the proper part and had it sent overnight. NO BIG DEAL. You have not ordered very many parts in your lifetime if you have not run up against this. I get this issue with all the dealers, NAPA, PepBoys, you name it. ***** Happens! Typos in Manuals, Microfiche. etc. I think you can see from the other posts here, most of us feel this is a non-issue. I drive the parts guys nutz at the dealers because I make them go over and look at things from every angle to describe something over the phone so they are seeing what I am describing.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Response

Here is what I'm thinking,

My Turbo 3.6: I still do need a factory one. I would be happy to pay you for it and use it the next time I take out the motor in a year or so. Thank you for the kind gesture. If you can, send me a PM and I we can figure it out. Does it have any cracks or problems?

Equality72521: I do plan on returning the part along with a few other things and calling CS to fix the issue which I'm sure they will do. I am not bashing Pelican Parts or what they stand for. I am simply venting my frustration and letting other people out there know what happened so it does not happen to them. Isn't that what forums like this is all about anyway?? I simply wanted to bring it to this forums attention so others can learn from this error. I like your term "bashing"... I am not bashing this site. If you look, I have posted responses as many times as I have asked questions. It was not a mistake to post this here as I had a legitimate reason for doing so. I respect Wayne and what he does. If you read all the way to the end, you will see that I compliment this forum and service and will continue to use and turn my friends to this site. Actually, you seem more frustrated than I am and you didn't even have the problem?? And yes, I am giving them a chance. I never even mentioned that they would not help me. I'm sure they will!

Noah930:I called and discussed the item along with verifiying that it was in stock, but no one mentioned air conditioning (I didn't know that it would be a problem, but either did they) and then I ordered online as usual. I will call tomorrow as planned and I am sure they will take care of me. They are great about that. I never said that I was screwed and out of $100...

911nut: I appreciate the support.

esample: Good point, that is why I mentioned post, post, post as in posting questions to search for answers. I could also search, but I thought it was a straight forward purchase. I have always searched on things that I thought would be difficult. Point taken. And, yes, I did call CS, but did not ask the AC question directly... didn't know.

jbrinkley: Point taken. I was planning on doing what you stated, but thought a post would be helpful to the readers and get some attention. Thanks.

Anyone else? I will be happy to respond. I hope I helped to clarify things.

Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Lesgarden

Point taken,

I did order the parts overnight (ground for me) and it was incorrect. I appreciate your input, but once again I didn't think this would be a problem either that's why I posted so people can figure this out.

Don't you think you know some of the things you do by people letting you know? This is what I did today. I may have mentioned it a little more firmly, but let me tell you that the next time someone needs to order this part and has air... they will purchase oem, instead of a backdate.

Call it a mistake if you like, but that is your opinion and your entitled to it, just like I am.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback.

Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

why do you have to drop the engine for a duct?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
jbrinkly

I said "doing some work".

I had the intermediate shaft seal and front outer nose bearing seal replaced along with some other while your in there's.

Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I'm a little confused here, maybe someone can unconfuse me. I thought the heater back date was to get rid of the heater blower fan which I didn't think the 930's have.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

It came off as bashing to me. The title "One Unhappy Pelican Customer" was the beginning. You never mentioned that you talked to or were going to talk to any customer support personnel. You only ranted about the mistake "Pelican" made. If you had said "hey, I found a mistake on Pelican's website, watch out for it" it would not have seemed so bad. But instead, you complain about how your engine has to go back in and they sent you the wrong part and such. Am I being harsh on you? Maybe I am, I don't know. I just see too many posts about how bad so and so is or what a crook company A is.

If I'm misjudging you, I apologize. Sometimes I react with my emotions.

--clutch-monkey
Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Response

There is a backdate for heat which is made out of metal or a block-off plate, which is what your asking about. Two different parts.

The benefit to the backdate is that in the older days they used a metal bracket and tubing (to connect the heater hose to) rather than a plastic one that Porsche switched in the newer models to reduce weight. Dumb idea if you ask me. It turns brittle after so many years of heat.

Hope this helps,

Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Bryan is one great guy and by no means was he bashing here if you knew him!
He is Anal Retentive like probably most here and me included.

Now get the dam car done so we can chase each other up to Yosemite
Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
equality72521

Well, I can say that your are being less harsh on your latest post than you were on your first. Your point is understood.

I still would not have changed anything about this post. I brought attention to a mistake in the manner I felt to be appropriate. I expected these responses but that was my intention in the beginning.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by x98boardwell View Post
Point taken,

I did order the parts overnight (ground for me) and it was incorrect.
What I mean't was order the "New" "Correct" parts overnight and delay the project for 1-2 days.

I appreciate your input, but once again I didn't think this would be a problem either that's why I posted so people can figure this out.

This post won't stop people from making the same mistake. Wrong path to take to rectify the underlying issue.

Don't you think you know some of the things you do by people letting you know?

This really doesn't let anybody know anything the way it was worded per se. If I did a search I would turn up the title of "Unhappy Pelican Customer"

This is what I did today. I may have mentioned it a little more firmly, but let me tell you that the next time someone needs to order this part and has air... they will purchase oem, instead of a backdate.

I don't believe this post rectified much

Call it a mistake if you like, but that is your opinion and your entitled to it, just like I am.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback.

Bryan
I run across web pages that have issues all the time. I call the company, speak to the owner, and make sure they understand the issue and the ramifications. They don't pay attention, then occasionally I resort to tactics similar to yours. I spent 3 months getting the phone system repaired at a Sears in West Palm Beach. I couldn't call into the store. Their phone system was hopelessly screwed up and nobody cared. I posted on Sears employee sites, contacted the CEO and CFO of Sears and embarrassed the hell out of them. All I wanted to do was call down to the Tool dept and find out if a tool was in stock. Now I walk into the store, and I am applauded in the tool dept. You see, the employees families couldn't call in either.

But, I'm thinkin' that if you sent Wayne an Email here, that the problem would have been solved. Which is the real solution, right? The solution to the problem is not a Forum thread??

What I learned in the Sears deal was, if you want to find out what is going on in a company, find the Employees forum!! Every big company is represented by an Employees forum or Industry forum where you can get the inside dope. That's where I got Home and Office phone numbers of VP's, CEO's and CFO's.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Lesgarden

Once again,

Your entitled to your opinion. By the sounds of your Sears adventure, I would say my post is a compliment.

And, yes the search will come up because it searches content as well as titles.

Bryan
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: