Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Miscellaneous Ramblings of a Pcar Nut

The restaurant at the Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee, Arizona used to make (maybe they still do) the best pancakes I ever had. As such, my girlfriend at the time, who lived in a small town about 25 miles from there, and I would frequent the restaurant on Sunday mornings to take advantage of the offings.

While at her house one Sunday morning about 9:10 am, we decided that the Copper Queen's pancakes were on this mornings menu. We both knew that breakfast ended there at straight up 10:00 am...Not a minute later since we had tried in vain, previously, when 2 minutes late. So we knew we would have to rush to make it. She had to get all prim and proper and I had to get fuel for the Pcar.

We left her house at 9:37 am...23 minutes before the iron doors slammed shut and we would have to make it through the day without those glorious cakes. It took a few minutes to get through little town until we made it to the open single lane highway to Bisbee. I turned the radar detector on and spun that turbo up until the Pcar was doing about 125.

Starting to come over a small rise about 3 miles from Bisbee, my detector pegged it's strength lights and growled at me like my Doberman defending her food. I immediately hit the binders as hard as I could prelockup and slowed down like we were entering Turn 1 at Riverside International Speedway. There on the other side of the rise was a Bisbee policeman, parked with his gun pointed right at us, and I could tell that he just got his first catch of the day.

I drove past him just above the 55 mph speed limit like I was minding my own business but he slowly pulled around to follow at a pretty far distance, anyway. After a couple of miles or so he pulled closer and turned his lights on and we pulled over. I knew I was in *****...I just didn't know how deep it was. Buford Pusser sat there in his patrol car for a good five minutes before finally and slowly walking up to my window where he hesitated for another 30 seconds to a minute before he said anything. I knew the longer he sat in that car...And the longer he stood at my door without saying anything, that my waders would need to be more than just waist high.

I was looking up at Buford (I call him, Buford, cuz' this guy had to be 6'5" and 250lbs. of muscle) and he finally says in a slow drawl, "Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

Wholly *****!!! Of course I knew how fast I was going! I'm in a freaking Pcar, here! The $64,000 question was, "At what speed did he catch me??!!"

Before I replied, I hesitated for just a millisecond to replay the whole scenario in my mind in an attempt to make a determination of speed. With conviction, I said, "I think I was going 67."

Well, at least Buford didn't laugh.

But he looked at me...and once again, hesitated for the longest time before speaking. He said, "Noooooo............You were goinnnggg..........(and I cringed and clenched my fists as the SOB, once again, hesitated for at least 10 seconds [I swear, he must have gone to acting school where he played Buford (T. Justice) in the stage reenactment of "Smokey and the Bandit"]................Seventyyyy-Twwooo.

As he said Seventyyyyy-Twwooo, blood rushed back to my head and I was able to unclench my hands. I was thinking to my self! "Holy *****, I slowed down 53 mph before he tagged me!!!!" "Hallelujah!!!" Since I was doing more than twice the double nickel speed limit, I knew I was going to jail!

He kindly and politely informed me (without hesitation, even) that he would drop the speed on my ticket to 65 mph so I could take advantage of a $25 ticket the City of Bisbee had, termed: "Waste of a Finite Resource" (wasting gas due to speeding) and that said ticket was not reported to any outside agency or insurance company.

I quietly drove away laughing to myself thinking, "Holy *****, I slowed down 53 mph!!! Oh thank you Pcar brakes!!!!"

Needless to say, we didn't get our pancakes.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Next time you might think about leaving the wife's place a bit earlier.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Ice,
Great story LOL! I love cops! Better yet if he just gave you a warning!
The rig looks great lowered!
-Sean
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks, Sean

Yesterday, I was reading a thread on the 911 technical forum about stealth installations of radar detectors and it reminded me of this little adventure of many years ago. I smile everytime I think of it, and I thought maybe others would get a kick out of it, too, and maybe relate some of their like adventures on the thread. Alas, some of the fun of our Pcars is not all technical but of driving and the adventures they hand to us...Or that we find ourselves in because we are driving a Pcar.

Anyway, I love your new purchase. It's one of my fav's on this forum. You starting to get it all sorted out? Thanks for the reply, Sean.

Geoff
Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Geoff,
Your compliment means A LOT with all the phenomenal 930's on this forum (including your own)!
Things here are getting sorted out, piece by piece. Just had her on the dyno to make sure I was not killing the motor on CA's garbage gas, and it looks like I am the perfect candidate for the adjustable WUR and RPM solenoid. BTW, what enrichment system are you using? I won't tell Craig if you have Andial... I do too! It just seems to not be doing it's job!
Keep a wary eye for the upcoming dyno post!
-Sean
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sean

(Whispering...) Yes, I have an old Andial unit (you're not reading this, are you Craig?). Since I only get into the throttle through a couple of gears, its fine for my use. If you are going to get serious about speed/power, though, you should look into something newer/better.

I'll be looking forward to that dyno post!

Geoff
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: