Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

re-curving a distributor

The mods I've done to my 88' 930 have been toward lower end torque. SC Cams, K27 7200, SSI, Rarly's muffler, adjustable WUR, Kokeln I/C, and a 1 bar tial. While timing needs to be set at 26 BTDC at 4000rpm's (vac disconnected and plugged), idle then lands at TDC. The car still has less low end torque than I'd like. Has anyone had their distributor re-curved? I'd love to know who you recommend and what numbers to set the distributor at. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
What we need for our cars is boost retard.

The dizzys we have don't do this. All they actually do is vacuum adavance.

So, when you get on the gas with no boost the ignition is too far retarded. That is one of your problems and why going with an EMS works so well and gives much better drivability.

Let us know if you can get this done.

The other way of doing it is with an Electromotive XDI, but it's not cheap and doesn't look very sophisticated at all.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

I've decided to get the stock dizzy rebuilt. The vac diaphragm is in working order. I'm gonna wait on the electromotive for a while. When I go twin plug I'll reconsider...or when the diaphragm breaks.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You can recurve the distributor just like in the old timey muscle car days. Anyone who was a shade tree mechanic back then knows how to do it.
I am planning some changes to my engine soon that will include a custom dizzy curve. I can share the details afterward.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Will it offer boost retard?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What I had planned for mine was to change the spring and lock out the idle retard. For my purposes I don't need boost retard but a more agressive mechanical advance with the stock vac advance. I'm sure there is a way to add boost retard but I don't plan to do it myself.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
What I had planned for mine was to change the spring and lock out the idle retard. For my purposes I don't need boost retard but a more agressive mechanical advance with the stock vac advance. I'm sure there is a way to add boost retard but I don't plan to do it myself.
When you say aggressive, do you mean how quickly you advance or more total advance, or both?
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 04-04-2008, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Rather than attempt to re-curve the distributor, switch to MSD ignition with boost retard control or if your system is already an MSD ignition, buy the MSD boost retard module. It will pull out a maximum 15-degrees at a max rate of 3-deg per psi. Onset of retard is adjustable from 0 to 5-psi.
This scheme allows one to run substantial initial advance and not grenade the engine under boost.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
No Les, I just want to get the timing in a little quicker for good throttle response. Nothing radical at all, but it is part of the equasion to eleminating boost lag.

+1 on the MSD, especially if using EFI. Tuning the ignition reguires attention to the A/F ratios which can become a tedious back and forth process with CIS.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Do you guys think the MSD is a quality product and would trust your $10,000+ engine with it?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Do you guys think the MSD is a quality product and would trust your $10,000+ engine with it?

I don't personally use this but a bunch of drag racers use them and their engines are way more expensive then 10g's but again it would not be for an all out drag car either..

curious though doug why you are recurving the dizzy? You will not notice much difference as I have been through this for the past 3 years and finally have it worked out very well with a 12 plug dizzy from supertec..

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 04-05-2008, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Ben,
It seems odd to me that the car idles at TDC and since the car lacks power down low, I figured a recurve would help drivability. I've been trying to diagnose a couple of problems and decided that a distributor rebuild was called for. Then I thought, well, while I'm at it do a recurve. But since then I've decided against it. Until I go twin plug and down the rest of this slippery slope I'm gonna stay with what I got.

Seems there are differing opinions about distributor vs non-distributor. What's the deal? Ben likes the 12 plug dizzy and 356 likes the MSD. What are the positives and negatives?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I suspect every dragster in the USA is using an MSD ignition system, and $10,000 wouldn't even buy a good pair of heads for the typical blown dragster engine.
Some MSD ignition systems are so sophisticated they can advance/retard timing cylinder by cylinder.
Definitely a reliable and quality product - I trust my $10,000 engine with it.

From the MSD wesite:
MSD 6BTM, PN 6462
The 6 BTM is ideal for engines with a turbo or supercharger. Not only will the engine benefit from MSD’s full power CD sparks, but there is also an adjustable boost/timing retard circuit to prevent detonation. . . .The 6 BTM lets you dial away detonation by retarding the timing in relation to the boost pressure. By electronically controlling the ignition timing your engine can run on the threshold of detonation to obtain maximum power and efficiency.
The BTM features a dash mounted control knob that lets you adjust the amount of timing retard. It can be adjusted from 0° per pound of boost to 3° per pound. The boost pressure is monitored by a sensor built into the MSD.
The 6 BTM also shares the Soft Touch Rev Control of the 6AL Ignition for overrev protection. The BTM is supplied with rubber shock mounts and rpm modules for 3,000, 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 rpm.

BTW, Rev limit modules can be special ordered in 100 rpm increments i.e. 6,500, 6,600 etc.
Lastly, a track racer’s tip. Mount the ignition module upside down as the rev limit module is a simple 2-prong plug in device that is held in with simple pin/socket force. If it were to vibrate/fall out, there is no rev limit, period.
(I did not mount my MSD upside down - sort of like running with scissors - hope I don't trip.)
Old 04-05-2008, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Ben,
It seems odd to me that the car idles at TDC and since the car lacks power down low, I figured a recurve would help drivability. I've been trying to diagnose a couple of problems and decided that a distributor rebuild was called for. Then I thought, well, while I'm at it do a recurve. But since then I've decided against it. Until I go twin plug and down the rest of this slippery slope I'm gonna stay with what I got.

Seems there are differing opinions about distributor vs non-distributor. What's the deal? Ben likes the 12 plug dizzy and 356 likes the MSD. What are the positives and negatives?
Twin plug trumps an MSD but then that twin plug update trump card is probably 10X the $$$ for the right MSD system.
Non distributor trumps distributor but again its the $$$.
I guess that's the cool thing about Porsche's - we can spend all the money our wives will let us spend on em or, all the money our wives don't know we are spending on em.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

If there is still a small vacuum solenoid installed in the vacuum advance hose line then maybe you still have some boost retard as it was from the factory.
I've been told that solenoid makes it so the vacuum advance and boost retard don't fight each other at full throttle.
Vacuum retard and vacuum advance change places or something like that when boost comes on since manifold vacuum becomes pressure then.

I think the vacuum advance signal from the throttle body is disconnected by that solenoid under boost possibly by the throttle position switch on the throttle body at full throttle, but I'm not sure, it may be the other way around...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If there is still a small vacuum solenoid installed in the vacuum advance hose line then maybe you still have some boost retard as it was from the factory.
I've been told that solenoid makes it so the vacuum advance and boost retard don't fight each other at full throttle.
Vacuum retard and vacuum advance change places or something like that when boost comes on since manifold vacuum becomes pressure then.

I think the vacuum advance signal from the throttle body is disconnected by that solenoid under boost possibly by the throttle position switch on the throttle body at full throttle, but I'm not sure, it may be the other way around...
The term "Vacuum Advance" is misleading. With the conventional mechanical 'vacuum advance' distributor, the harder the vacuum, the greater the retard. Timing "advance" occurs with loss of vacuum.
I tested my dual diaphragm/dual port '79 930 distributor on a Sun distributor machine. The machine's vacuum retarded timing -20 degrees. Applying up to +15-psi on the vacuum port had no effect on timing. With +5 psi applied to the boost retard port, timing was retarded -8 degrees. Increasing pressure on the boost retard port up to 15 psi had no further effect on timing.
Not having the specified solenoids may not affect performance but they may affect longevity of the diaphragms. Porsche must have had a good reason to use em.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356-930 View Post
The term "Vacuum Advance" is misleading. With the conventional mechanical 'vacuum advance' distributor, the harder the vacuum, the greater the retard. Timing "advance" occurs with loss of vacuum.
I tested my dual diaphragm/dual port '79 930 distributor on a Sun distributor machine. The machine's vacuum retarded timing -20 degrees. Applying up to +15-psi on the vacuum port had no effect on timing. With +5 psi applied to the boost retard port, timing was retarded -8 degrees. Increasing pressure on the boost retard port up to 15 psi had no further effect on timing.
Not having the specified solenoids may not affect performance but they may affect longevity of the diaphragms. Porsche must have had a good reason to use em.

Do you have the SUN curve in a form you could post? I wold love to see it, especially with the diaphragms manipulated.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Do you have the SUN curve in a form you could post? I wold love to see it, especially with the diaphragms manipulated.
Sorry Les but no. I was lucky just to find a working unit in SoCal (Superior Automotive Engineering, Anaheim, CA). These machines are no longer in production and the one I found was over 50-years old.
The owner tested the distributor while I watched and recorded the changes. We made no attempt to correlate timing to vac or press. My mission was simply to find out what happened when I put pressure on the vac port and just how much timing the boost retard pulled out.
I had been running my little car without any vac advance and was running +35 deg. of advance at idle in order to get it to come off the line. Running 1-bar boost without an intercooler and reading this forum I was beginning to get a bit nervous about the grenade in the back seat.
If I pull the distributor for any reason, I'll return to Superior, get some data for posterity and post it.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
As you have seen the 930 dizzy does not have a vacuum advance. It also does not have a boost retard. For the 2 pot units one pot is a vacuum retard (at idle) and while the second pot is actually a vacuum advance, but the performance function does not allow advance due to the signal being positive pressure. What you end up with is vac retard at idle, vac/mechnical advance at cruise, and mechanical advance only on boost.
You can test all of this with a vac pump, an air compressor, vac/boost gage and a timing light while your engine is running from 1000rpm - 4000rpm.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
As you have seen the 930 dizzy does not have a vacuum advance. It also does not have a boost retard. For the 2 pot units one pot is a vacuum retard (at idle) and while the second pot is actually a vacuum advance, but the performance function does not allow advance due to the signal being positive pressure. What you end up with is vac retard at idle, vac/mechnical advance at cruise, and mechanical advance only on boost.
You can test all of this with a vac pump, an air compressor, vac/boost gage and a timing light while your engine is running from 1000rpm - 4000rpm.
I respectfully disagree that the dual diaphragm distributor has no “boost retard.”
In the Sun test, we held the distributor at a constant speed of 800 rpm. Applying +5 psi to the distributor’s “boost port” produced a negative -8 degrees of timing. Yes there is a mechanical advance component in these distributors but only with a positive change in distributor shaft rotation speed. Given the constant mechanical rotation speed during test, the reduction of -8 degrees of timing can only be attributed to boost pressure.
Rhetorically, if there was no “boost pressure retard,” what is the purpose of the dual diaphragm?
If the ‘second pot’ was indeed a "vacuum advance," plumbing the two ports in parallel, which I have done, would result in no advance or retard for the two diaphragms would act against each other. As evidenced by test on the Sun, application of positive pressure to the “vacuum advance” port has no effect on timing.
We did not apply vacuum to both ports at the same time during the Sun test but in actual use on the engine, with the two ports plumbed in parallel and -12.5 inHg vacuum applied, timing retards -20 degrees evidencing that vacuum on the "boost port" has no effect.
Like I said, I respectfully disagree. Can't tell you how much I have learned reading your posts. What am I missing here?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: