Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche-Poor

Garage
another shroud question. . .

heading to the track in a couple weeks and running a K27-7200, SC cams, .8 bar spring w/ stock waste gate, B&B IC, euro headers and the euro fuel head, nothing really wild here, question is do I need a shrould for the IC for track purposes or am I OK with this set up? Thanks in advance for any input
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

What event?

PM me -
Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would. Heck, I use a shroud on my street only car all the time. They were designed with a shroud.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Though I don't have one on my 965 intercooler (I have most of the parts for the install...just haven't gotten around to it), and have been a supporter of shrouds, here's another observation and/or consideration - I'll leave this to the smart folks to hash out - does having an open tail allow engine heat to escape better? Especially after you have parked the car. It's my understanding that when you first turn the car off, engine temps actually increase a bit, before cooling down. I'm coming at this from a daily driver perspective (non track), in which case a person might have a few stops in a given day, or might be idling in traffic, or encounter many off-boost situations. I've heard of a few folks opening their engine lid to let the heat escape when parking in their garages.

I understand that the idea is to better direct the flow of air through the actual intercooler with the help of the alt. fan that also helps draw air down through it. And what Tom Fool am I to question Porsche engineering that employed these shrouds in their designs. In a track car that's, hopefully, always moving, and moving quickly, I thinks it's a no brainer...run the shroud. I've been without one for some time now...including when I had the B&B intercooler that the original poster now owns. I just haven't encountered any ill-effects in my daily driver world that says I need one. Obviously real data would be helpful here...beyond my silly little dash gauges.

Uuummm, I think I better zip up the flame suit, 'cause I have a feeling that I'm about to be beat up for what I just wrote above. Keep in mind: YMMV!

Oh well, have a laugh at my expense...what the hell do I know?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 04-02-2008 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I'll also point out that after hard runs, my intercooler throttle body end tank is cold to the touch. Of course these are short street bursts. Extended track bursts might reveal something else.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: