Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mt. Doom
Posts: 1,021
Nissan GT-R "Spanks" 997 Turbo...

And the new Uber Vette.

This month's Road & Track has a shootout with the GT-R, Vette and 997 Turbo. The 997 came in second in overall testing.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6594

Seems Nissan was using the 996 and 997 Turbo as a benchmark for this new Skyline. An honor I suspect.

I'd like to see how it fairs against a 997 GT2.
__________________
3.2 targa

Last edited by Seric; 04-02-2008 at 11:39 AM..
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days
 
Craig 930 RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 10,196
THat Nissan is so damn ugly in every way - I mean, everything, all over.
Not even 'mean' looking.........just f'in ugly.

Looks like a junior high Japanese kids' wet dream -

But it did a lap 5 seconds quicker than the 997TT -
__________________
- Craig 3.4L, SC heads, 964 cams, B&B headers, K27 HF ZC turbo, Ruf IC. WUR & RPM switch, IA fuel head, Zork, G50/50 5 speed. 438 RWHP / 413 RWTQ -
"930 is the wild slut you sleep with who tries to kill you every time you "get it on" - Quote by Gabe
Movie: 930 on the dyno
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cowtown10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 242
As I understand the 997 T is "softer" compared to the 996 T.
A better track test comparison would be the GT3 or GT3 RS.

I agree the Nissan is not my thing but for the money and the performance they are achieving that is one hell of a package.
__________________
Q
2002 996TT
1984 930 Turbo (gone and missed)
Old 04-02-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member
 
krasuskyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: top of 3rd
Posts: 4,121
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
THat Nissan is so damn ugly in every way - I mean, everything, all over.
Not even 'mean' looking.........just f'in ugly.

Looks like a junior high Japanese kids' wet dream -

But it did a lap 5 seconds quicker than the 997TT -

bwHA!

Amen brutha, well said 8-).

It's capital FUGLY here there everywhere. Sure, hard to deny FIVE FRICKIN SECONDS - geesh that's an eternity. But alas - who the F cares if you have to drive around w/ a bag over your head??? I used to like the original Skyline's lines, this one blows - faster than a 997tt bedamned.

Also agreed, stack it with the GT2 and retest. And again, who cares if the P comes out slower.

Saw both @ NYIAS the other week, prepare to barf:



vs. SCHWING:



Perf. #'s are only part of the ownership experience. And the NYIAS one was a chictronic - pass.
__________________
Paul... CT | '87 930 | '07 //S6 v10 JNR | '98 ///M3 vert |
past:

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
1980 Porsche 930 Turbo
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sand Springs
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
THat Nissan is so damn ugly in every way - I mean, everything, all over.
Not even 'mean' looking.........just f'in ugly.

Looks like a junior high Japanese kids' wet dream -

But it did a lap 5 seconds quicker than the 997TT -
It has no style whatso ever. The 350zx looked so much better.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,066
I read somewhere ( I'll try and find the article ) that of the first fifteen cars (GTR) delivered no less than 7 have been smashed already. 5 were a complete write-off. So much for all those driver aids. Lets face it, it's on overweight piece of crap that will be bought by wanna-be race drivers.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Back in B'ham, AL
Posts: 3,415
Let "them" have it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Danville - CA
Posts: 1,259
I have a hard time considering anything that is 5 sec / lap faster than a 997 TT to be a piece of crap. That said: is it overweight - yes; is it ugly - yes;would the GT3/GT2 have been more appropriate comparisons - yes; and would I ever buy one - no.
__________________
Rob Montgomery
'88 Blk/Blk 930 ('Lucy') - Not Stock & Not Running
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,066
Put Walter Rohl behind the the wheel of the 997TT and then see if it makes a difference. I believe we all know here that the 911 range of cars require a unique driving style. One that some people can just never get. And how many laps did they do? I would think after a sustained workout the GTR would slowly lose ground to the Porsche


Last edited by dewolf; 04-02-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
993-C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930LDR View Post
I have a hard time considering anything that is 5 sec / lap faster than a 997 TT to be a piece of crap. That said: is it overweight - yes; is it ugly - yes;would the GT3/GT2 have been more appropriate comparisons - yes; and would I ever buy one - no.
Don't know if this kind of stuff interests you guys, but I've written a bunch of articles related the the GT-R as compared to various Porsche models. More specifically, I've written about how the media continues to use Porsche as the BENCHMARK to compare all other "super cars" to.

In my opinion, most of these comparisons are apples to oranges. First link is a comparison of GT3 to GT-R

Articles are located here:

http://993c4s.com/?p=133
http://993c4s.com/?p=37
http://993c4s.com/wordpress/?p=24
http://993c4s.com/?p=280

John
__________________
Check out my blog on Porsche Cars, Products and LifeStyle
Old 04-02-2008, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cowtown10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 242
RANT:
I am going to contradict my last post but...
They aren't comparing apples here. In CDN dollars (which is par with US) a GT R is ~80K, Turbo's GT2, GT3 and RS are all $150K plus to $200K.

Maybe the performance numbers are close but a Porsche is Iconic, it stirs the emotion thats why we drive them.

My 23 year old 930 is still worth ~$30K. Show me a Nissan(Datsun), Toyota or Honda that is 23 years old, holds some kind of value intrinsically or monetarily that people still give the thumbs up to and say "nice car" when you are at a stop light. I especially like the comments about it is the car they had a poster of in their lockers in high school.

Long winded point...these tuner cars come and go..(see NSX, 300zx, Supra etc) soon to be GT R

Porsches are timeless
__________________
Q
2002 996TT
1984 930 Turbo (gone and missed)
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
993-C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post

Long winded point...these tuner cars come and go..(see NSX, 300zx, Supra etc) soon to be GT R

Porsches are timeless
+1,000,000
__________________
Check out my blog on Porsche Cars, Products and LifeStyle
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
2369488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wichita
Posts: 81
1967 Toyota 2000GT
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 79
I would spend 80k on a totalled 997TT that can't do a lap before I'd spend 80k on a GTR that can do 5 seconds better than the 997TT.
__________________
'86 951 Guards Red, MBC, Adjustable FPR, Venturi Delete, LR Exhaust
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 24
Ouch. A little bias here don't you think?

I personally feel the Nissan simply kicks porsche's ass here. Porsche should be damn embarrassed. I am feeling the late 80s all over again for Porsche.

Is it heavy, yes. Is it ugly, I hate to say it but yes. But I can gaurantee that you guys rest your laurels on Porsche racing success. I love the 930 since it is the first car to successfully use a turbo to kick ass. I give it all of that credit, but you need to give Nissan credit too. (BTW I own a 89 930 cab)

Nissan GTP kicks the venerable 962 to the curb. Nissan 300zx TT drastically hurt porsche in the early 90s. Even the first Z beat the venerable 911 in its day for much less money. The difference as to why they will never be coveted is that we associate success with cash and rarity. Not everyone can afford the 911 so it gets raised on a pedastal....just like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani..etc. Nissan simply shows that they can beat the worlds best at a reasonable price. Porsche and Ferrari could also sell their cars for less money by selling more units, but it would kill the exclusivity that makes the marks. It would crush all of the arogant owners that support their business.

I still love the Porsche and I consider it my Family rocket (It has back seats)

I love my TT ZX because it is a great comfortable driver.

I admire my Ferrari because it is a no comprise drivers car.

All are great in there own way, but damn give Nissan some credit here!

PS. Why compare it to a GT2? Do you really want some Nissan tuner to change the chip in the car so it kicks its ass too? That will crush more Porsche egos. Be glad they haven't compared the two.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Skunk works
 
JV911SYDNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,075
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Saw both @ NYIAS the other week, prepare to barf


__________________
964 RS-4
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
993-C4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfulmer1 View Post
Ouch. A little bias here don't you think?

I personally feel the Nissan simply kicks porsche's ass here. Porsche should be damn embarrassed. I am feeling the late 80s all over again for Porsche.

Is it heavy, yes. Is it ugly, I hate to say it but yes. But I can gaurantee that you guys rest your laurels on Porsche racing success. I love the 930 since it is the first car to successfully use a turbo to kick ass. I give it all of that credit, but you need to give Nissan credit too. (BTW I own a 89 930 cab)

Nissan GTP kicks the venerable 962 to the curb. Nissan 300zx TT drastically hurt porsche in the early 90s. Even the first Z beat the venerable 911 in its day for much less money. The difference as to why they will never be coveted is that we associate success with cash and rarity. Not everyone can afford the 911 so it gets raised on a pedastal....just like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani..etc. Nissan simply shows that they can beat the worlds best at a reasonable price. Porsche and Ferrari could also sell their cars for less money by selling more units, but it would kill the exclusivity that makes the marks. It would crush all of the arogant owners that support their business.

I still love the Porsche and I consider it my Family rocket (It has back seats)

I love my TT ZX because it is a great comfortable driver.

I admire my Ferrari because it is a no comprise drivers car.

All are great in there own way, but damn give Nissan some credit here!

PS. Why compare it to a GT2? Do you really want some Nissan tuner to change the chip in the car so it kicks its ass too? That will crush more Porsche egos. Be glad they haven't compared the two.
it's not a question of credit. It's a question of comparison. it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Personally, I don't think a buyer (considering a Porsche) is going to test drive a Nissan as a comparison (in 99% of all cases). The cars are built for different markets.

In addition, it is Porsche that continues to be the Benchmark for cars like the GT-R. In 20, 30 years if the GT-R is the car the media chooses to compare all others to, then things may be different.

In the interim. The GT-R, for the money, is a performance marvel. Will its design be consider iconic (like the 911?) Only time will tell. Will it perform, compete and win at all racing levels similar to the 911? Most likely not given the fact that right now, you can't even swap wheels on the damn thing, but again time will tell.

I give Nissan credit for developing a high-performance car at a very attractive price. However, I still think Porsche wins in every category, not the least of which are "feeling the road" and "driver input"; two of the main things I look for when purchasing a sports car.
__________________
Check out my blog on Porsche Cars, Products and LifeStyle
Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Cackalacky
Posts: 6,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
THat Nissan is so damn ugly in every way - I mean, everything, all over.
Not even 'mean' looking.........just f'in ugly.

Looks like a junior high Japanese kids' wet dream -
...true dat! HIDEOUSREX!
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
 
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
I read somewhere ( I'll try and find the article ) that of the first fifteen cars (GTR) delivered no less than 7 have been smashed already. 5 were a complete write-off. So much for all those driver aids. Lets face it, it's on overweight piece of crap that will be bought by wanna-be race drivers.
In that case, they really did imitate the new porkers, err... Porsches.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown10 View Post
RANT:
I am going to contradict my last post but...
They aren't comparing apples here. In CDN dollars (which is par with US) a GT R is ~80K, Turbo's GT2, GT3 and RS are all $150K plus to $200K.

Maybe the performance numbers are close but a Porsche is Iconic, it stirs the emotion thats why we drive them.

My 23 year old 930 is still worth ~$30K. Show me a Nissan(Datsun), Toyota or Honda that is 23 years old, holds some kind of value intrinsically or monetarily that people still give the thumbs up to and say "nice car" when you are at a stop light. I especially like the comments about it is the car they had a poster of in their lockers in high school.

Long winded point...these tuner cars come and go..(see NSX, 300zx, Supra etc) soon to be GT R

Porsches are timeless

Old 930s and 911s are timeless because they possess the magic that is utterly devoid in the fat and soft 997TT.

There is nothing remotely timeless about a new 997GT3RS that still weighs more than a Corvette. Porsche has to lie about the weight just to pawn the car off on suckers expecting a light weight track machine, and instead getting a porker.

Porsche better get back to 'timeless' real quick in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:58 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.