Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC930 View Post
Could it be the same problem that keeps the car from starting, that makes the car not run smoothly,? when you floor it it has some kind of misfiring and it has a failure also when the turbo kicks in.
There are so many things that can cause this and all your other issues that it is staggering. Your car, even though it only has 9600 miles, has obviously not been maintained. So getting a good wrench to check it would be the thing to do. It could be bad fuel pumps from this statement, frozen distributer, broken springs in the distributer, who knows. Rust in the fuel tank. That number of miles might suggest serious fuel delivery issues potentially. Low mileage is good to a certain point.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I finally found what that light indicator was, it is a Radar detector, and it has a small round switch under the steering wheel to control the volume of the alarm and also to turn it off.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC930 View Post
I finally found what that light indicator was, it is a Radar detector, and it has a small round switch under the steering wheel to control the volume of the alarm and also to turn it off.
Had a feeling that's what it was.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Just for reference:
My dash...stock with the exception of the boost gauge and steering wheel:

Luggage compartment fuse panel...note the after market fuse holder (thick yellow wire) used to replace the troublesome fuel pump fuse:

Engine caompartment fuse panel...note the yellow relay:

I have little doubt that a full CIS tune-up and fuel pressure check would be in order for your engine. There is lot's of info regaring this...the searth function will be your friend as you sort this thing out.
Hey sandman... the yellow relay... isn't there a ground wire that's comes from the relay to that nut just behind it?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb930 View Post
Hey sandman... the yellow relay... isn't there a ground wire that's comes from the relay to that nut just behind it?
The nut that sort of holds the entire fuse panel to the car? I'd have to look closer.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Where can I find the black plastic cover for the first 2 levers in the ventilation panel.

Pic attached
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

If you want to find out about your car and some of the issues, try this;
Where to start on a 930
Alan
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Sandman,
I had the same trouble with my fuel pump fuse. I replaced the panel and trimmed the wires. The trouble has disappeared for now. How thick is the yellow wire and which fuel pump does it go to? Also, in the rear fuse panel, you have 2 blue 25's and one white. I have one blue (top) and 2 whites. What are the fuses for and is your setup the way it needs to be?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

The fuses in the rear are to do with your heating system and rear window heater or similar - nothing to do with engine management. Pull them out and your engine will still run.
Alan
Old 04-11-2008, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
JCG: I bought my car and it had sat covered for a year or two and I had to completely go thru all the fuses and clean contacts...the vacuum lines were brittle and cracked causing all sorts of leaks and rough idle. The CDI box also failed along with the rotor in the distributor....so with that low mileage, the advice you got on getting a good Porsche mechanic who knows his stuff can save you an awful lot of time, money, and waiting trying to figure out what's wrong. Once you get it running, you'll have a ball.....but get someone who knows what they're doing rather than trying to guess.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

You are getting good advice but let me add one more thing. Don't approach this "Tuneup" as if it was just that. You need to almost pull the engine and start from there. A good wrench can probablly get the thing to run but to get it to the reliable stage you need much more. You know the fuel system components are full of varnish and sludge. The electrical components are mostly corroded or making poor contact and the hoses have probablly dried out or cracked. If you approach this piecemeal it will sour your love for this wonderful car. Go ahead and give it to a good Porsche mech and tell him to do what is necessary and good luck.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The switch under the dash you mentioned that doesn't appear to do anything is the selector of the door mirrors. The litle stick in the drivers door moves the mirror and the switch under the dash chooses which mirror to move.
Good luck!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
If the switch doesn't do anything for the mirrors, you might have to replace that toggle switch that's near the top of the door sill. It's actually a plastic stick covered by a round button. Mine burned the contacts, and that little switch is a four way toggle to move the mirrors up/down/out/in. As I recall, it was about $75 from Porsche...that is also a fused circuit...so check your fuse if the mirrors aren't working.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

JGC930:

Welcome aboard.. did not go through all the post on this thread but hope some of the guys have you're issue addressed.

The pic as you've posted is that of an integrated radar detector in your dash. Believe it's an older Passport model. Could not see the additionl switches you poke about, but one could be to change from city to hwy mode, the other could be to clear the LEDs for audible warning only.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: