Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porschaholic

Garage
Question Windshield Washer Pump

Once everyone is done doing the eye roll...

Look it's spring... I was on my way out to the "festival of speed" in Fontana this weekend... taking the 241 toll road (at WOT most of the way... okay close to it) I encountered a number of colorful flyboys... bees, butterflies, etc.. that decided to take the ultimate sacrifice on my windshield (takes guts) anyway I engage my autobahn proof wipers and washer... smeared their crap all over the place... looked like a nascar car cam behind a car that just lost it's engine... anyway the reservoir is full and the wipers work... no washer pump thou? where the ***** is this thing? What do I need to look for if its not the pump?

Petty issue yes, but where else can I go to ask any question without fear of complete embarrassment... no wise cracks please! I heard that!!!

Thanks gents.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No idea where the stock pump is (mine had the tank/pump removed when I got it), but the wires for it were in the very front/center of the tub, closest to the battery. I believe the 10 gallon stock tank lives in the driver's wheel well in front. Follow the piping from the screen jets...

If you don't hear the washer pump, it's probably dead, not connected, not getting power etc. If you hear it, then it's likely clogged washer jets or piping. Replacing (and adjusting) those and the washer piping was the most cussedly awkward job i did on the car, until I replaced the back of the ignition switch, the intermitant wipe relay and messed with the fresh air distribution system...

I pressed a late intensive-wash tank/pump into screen wash duty, even a '77 has the fittings for it in the trunk interior. Holds about a 1/2 pint.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Thanks Spuggy... I'm almost certain it's the washer pump... just need to find the flipping thing. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The pump is inside the front bonnet on the lower left front side down by the battery but towards the front . It is attached to the front bulkhead on the inside approximately where the front bumper attaches. It is a few inches in height and is made of a semi-clear white plastic. There will be an electric plug and a couple of hoses attached to it.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann427 View Post
The pump is inside the front bonnet on the lower left front side down by the battery but towards the front . It is attached to the front bulkhead on the inside approximately where the front bumper attaches. It is a few inches in height and is made of a semi-clear white plastic. There will be an electric plug and a couple of hoses attached to it.
Thank you Icemann... found the little turd.

Dead as a door nail... is there anything accessible on these cars except for the fricken gas cap and lug nuts... and why is everything a $100 bucks? geez

We should do a top 1000 list of stupid crap...

Thanks again dude.

Martin
Old 04-06-2008, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb930 View Post
Thank you Icemann... found the little turd.

Dead as a door nail... is there anything accessible on these cars except for the fricken gas cap and lug nuts... and why is everything a $100 bucks? geez

We should do a top 1000 list of stupid crap...

Thanks again dude.

Martin
I'll sell you mine cheap if you pm me.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Alot of other German cars from that era used the same washer pump.
Older Volvo's used them too.
You could wander around in a salvage yard and look for a nice one...

Water can eventually seep past the rubber gasket in between the pump and motor sections and get inside the electric motor and seize it or rust the brushes away.
I've taken them apart in my BMW 2002 days and got them working again

An aftermarket one will work too, just figure out another way to mount it or tie wrap it in place.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Washer

Ck the pump before replacing. Mine was fine but the hose connectors were all clogged, so I replaced them all and everything works great. Also, mine has two bottles, one for water and one for the wash fluid. Ck this before ordering the connectors, as they are different if you have two water/cleaner sources.

Tim
Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: