Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

modified fuel head

Just installed a modified fuel distributor. After not being able to get the car running, I called Imagine Auto from whom I bought the thing. They told me to remove the frequency control valve and plug up the hole. I removed the electrical connector and did what they suggested. The car still doesn't run. Is there anything else I must do when installing a modified fuel head? Is there anything that must be done with the electrical connection for the frequency control valve?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Do the fuel pumps turn on(whine) when the flapper door on the CIS intake is depressed slightly? (ignition must be on)
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Dave,
I got it running. It was way too lean. The cold start valve threw me off. As to your question, when the key is forward, pushing down that flapper makes an awful noise.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Dave,
I got it running. It was way too lean. The cold start valve threw me off. As to your question, when the key is forward, pushing down that flapper makes an awful noise.

Thanks,
Doug
That noise you hear may be a fuel pump going out. Sometimes you can diagnose which one it is by touching the fuel pump relays in the front bonnet. The overheated relay is 9 times out of ten the one failing. Be careful, they can get very warm!
Under normal circumstances, you should a nice whine when the pumps turns on.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

How long do fuel pumps usually last if one never runs out of fuel? (I can't account for the previous owner, but when I got the car in October, the fuel pump fuse would repeatedly blow.) The car had 38k miles. The sound I hear when the key is forward, the green plug is unplugged (I think) and I push down the flapper, sounds to me like a warning noise...indicating that fuel is going down to the injectors. What do you think?

Thanks for the info about the pumps. I'm definitely keeping that info on file!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Does this engine have a frequency valve added to the injector circuit? In other words, some of the aftermarket stuff out there, namely Andial, added a 7th injector(electronic) to the circuit to increase the amount of fuel volume going to the engine.
The fuse blowing certainly was/is a sign that the fuel pump is getting worn out and drawing excessive amperage.
Don't ever do any kind of hard driving with only one pump. Porsche did a very good job of designing this push-pull fuel system. With only one pump working, you are going to see inconsistent fuel system pressure that could give you problems. My experience as always seen the front pump go out first. It's located under the front suspension pan.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Doug Siegel

I just removed the frequency valve for the modified fuel head install. Drove the car full boost today as part of the tuning process. I have no decrease in fuel pressure. The afr is consistent. How long do fuel pumps usually last on turbos? I might just go ahead and replace the front pump. Them pumps are darn expensive. How much longer will the rear last than the front?
Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: