Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Weld-in sway bar mounts

This will be my first full "season" in the 930- which has stock suspension. I'll be attending DE's and hopefully occasional track days making my road to track ratio about 70/30. I was wondering how critical or necessary to have weld-in sway mounts? Is it really that easy to tear/pull out the stock mounts?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Stock suspension, you should be fine. I would get under there and inspect them for cracks but I'd be surprised if they aren't fine. I wouldn't do the upgraded mounts. However, if you upgrade to a thicker sway bar I would, for sure, upgrade the mounts. I wouldn't say it's an easy job to replace the stock mounts. I do a ton of stuff myself but I wouldn't trust my weld job on this project. So I would take it to a welding shop with my new sway and have them grind off the old mounts and weld in the new mounts so my new sway bar is mounted in the middle of adjustment. It may have to be moved up or down just a touch to clear. Sorry, I went off on a tangent there.....
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

+ Uno
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
i broke a sway bar mount on my 76, but i think it was from 30 years of wear and tear rahter than a day a the track

as bill said, if you are upgrading suspension or if they are cracking then upgrade the mounts. The WEVO kit is nice

JV
Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I may need to increase torsion bar size- and maybe sway bars. Reason being- I'm waiting to receive some wheels from Mike Lindsey- 9's and 11's and I'll be putting 315's on the rear and lowering the 930 so that clearances are pretty tight, much like Jim Culp and others have done. I'm afraid that, with stock suspension, the car may squat under hard acceleration and the tires will rub. So the wheels are causing the domino affect- leading to suspension mods to keep the car from squatting. In the end it should all make the car handle better I suspect with better grip, cornering, etc.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
take a look at your fuel pump mount. the mount on my 79 was welded to the left sway bar mount. It was a pain to cut it out and then re-weld the fuel pump mount. My sway bar mount was fine but i added a new sway bar so i had to beef it up. If you look at the stock mounts they are pretty flimsy.
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes, you can weld the new mounts where the old mounts were. BTW, sway bars control body roll and have nothing to do with squating.

To minimize squating increase the rear TB diameter, and if you do that need to increase the front ones too.

Enjoy your new wheels and rubber patch!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: