Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

427 Cobra Replica

I saw a nice Cobra replica driving pretty fast on a straight and empty road so I couldn't resist. I've seen them make a few runs at a local AX event, but never saw one really running on the street. Pretty nice car with good power..the thing moved real well. It looked like alot of fun too, with a great paint job and interior.

Anyway, I folllowed him through the gears from about a 20mph roll to about 100 a few times and then we jumped on the highway for one quick run through the gears. On the street, he couldn't pull away at all, but I wasn't making up much ground either. The conditions were in my favor as the lights kept changing before we came to a complete stop. I am sure the Cobra would have been good off the line compared to my car. Entering the highway, as soon as I hit the 2-3rd gear change I gained very quickly, passed and then pulled alongside and gave him the thumbs up. Again things were good for me as this time, as we entered the roadway I was right in that 2nd gear sweet spot where the warp drive engages at will I also htink those cars run some pretty tall gears, so there used up pretty quickly.

We both exited the highway at the next exit and I asked him what he had under the hood (427)and complimented him on how well the car moved. He asked about the turbo and that was that.

I was impressed with the Cobra's overall package and performance.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 04-10-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Old 04-10-2008, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sweet! I always enjoy encounters. You can make your statement without doing anything silly.

Thanks for representing...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Like nearly anything, there is WIDE variance in these cars from sedate (junkyard small block or mild 390 powered) to verging on unstreetable (stroked aluminum small blocks of up to 460CI or 500+CI aluminum FE's) and everything in between. There are rear solid axle cars, jag, vette and advanced design independent rear set-ups. Most are pretty light and move pretty well in a straight line.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have built two cobras, one with a 351 Cleveland 4bl and a 427 side oiler. Both were awesome off the line but with a 4:10 rearend it was all on the bottom. !st gear went to 65 mph and 2nd to 90. But after that there wasn't much left. There is no way a 930 could stay with one from a dead start to about 85 to 90 mph. After that the turbo and the extra rpm would allow it to catch up and probablly pass it. That clutch drop on the 427 was un describable! You had to hold the wheel with both hands and correct for side/rearend movement instantly or you would be going backwards. One guy swaped ends on the interstate while passing at 70 mph.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
My tuner had one of the nicer replicas in his shop so I sat in it just see how the driving position was. Boy was I disappointed. That's too much compromise for me to make just to drive a cool looking car.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Nice car, but it is still a kit car and we have a real car.
Much more useable and waterproof. Plus, a 930 looks way cooler than a cobra!
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-14-2008, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Heh, Think that is bad? Try a Lotus Super 7 for about 10 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
My tuner had one of the nicer replicas in his shop so I sat in it just see how the driving position was. Boy was I disappointed. That's too much compromise for me to make just to drive a cool looking car.
58 DKW Universal - Baby Crap Yellow/Beige (sold)
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rudy View Post
I have built two cobras, one with a 351 Cleveland 4bl and a 427 side oiler. Both were awesome off the line but with a 4:10 rearend it was all on the bottom. !st gear went to 65 mph and 2nd to 90. But after that there wasn't much left. There is no way a 930 could stay with one from a dead start to about 85 to 90 mph. After that the turbo and the extra rpm would allow it to catch up and probablly pass it. That clutch drop on the 427 was un describable! You had to hold the wheel with both hands and correct for side/rearend movement instantly or you would be going backwards. One guy swaped ends on the interstate while passing at 70 mph.
I had a big block 1970 Camaro SS with a 4:10. It would spin the tires at any time if you got on the gas hard, instantly. It would snap your neck back into the seat at any time, instantly.

But it was not faster than my 930. Less laggy, obviously. Faster? No.

My friend has a 1971 911 chassis which probably weighs 1,600 lbs. He could put any Porsche engine into that car he wants, and he can put a 930 fiberglass body on the car if he wants. So at the end of the day, he could probably make a 2000 lb. car that will handle better than a Cobra, go neck in neck until 90 and then leave it for dead, and not have any problems spinning at 70 mph.

I just think that there are 930s out there that have been built that can keep up with a kit car Cobra, let alone get around a track faster.

I know what you are saying, and I agree that regular heavy 930s with minimal mods are slower than a lot of more recent sport cars, and probably all Cobra replicas. That is definitely going to be true.

I would have to try Ollie's car or Schnell's car to know what a 930 can really do...
Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

600 horsepower in a 2250 pound body with big everything and 930 lsd!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I think the real story is that there are plenty of modern cars that are quicker than midly modded 930s...but...that being said the 930 does have that zone where you get that, "Mr. Scott engage the warp dives" like blast. The trick is to have a go in that range.

Off the line my car is a pig, from a light my wife can open up a gap in our freakin' Nissan Armada(a pretty quick SUV by the way) Now if I had unlimted funds for repairs I could launch quicker, but even so, these cars just don't do real well out of the hole. American muscle cars rule that domain and I am sure a light Cobra replica must be a beast. As others have said, and as I said in my original post, the conditions were in my favor. At the lights, I was rolling and had the revs up for instant boost. Also when we got on the highway at say 40-50ish, I was in good posiiton. There aren't too many cars that go through the middle of 2nd and 3rd gear better than a slightly lightened and mildly modded 930.

I ran into the Cobra owner in Autozone over the weekend. I told him the same thing, "if we stopped at the light I'm dead and if we enter the highway slower I'm also in trouble".....but as it was , my car was in the "sweet spot" He asked me where I came from after the onramp and appeared on his side. As it happened, he took the right lane and I crossed the center and ran up the left lane and appeared in triple digits alongside and passing. I got a btter chance to check out the Cobra I was impressed w/ the frame, suspension and overall finish. It may be a "kit' car as some have said but it's made from all high quality performance parts. I found out the car is a 427 w/ a 5 speed and 3.73s(owner says 5th is not really usable other than economy driving) and a somewhere under 2500lbs. I hope I run into him again before the next Porsche run. It's always adds interest when some non-Porsche cars ( no junk of course)come to the party. Last time some guy right behind me had a massively supercharged Mustang and the sound of that car taking turns blasing off and my car w/ the Zork was insane.

Another guy in town has a Mustang GT500 an after a similar experiment, he slowed waaaay down at the next onramp and then launched, he opening up quite a lead that took some time to close. The first time, he was going at a good clip and I easily followed him as fats as he wanted to go... no problem at all (before bigger intercooler and zork).

That's why I love my car, the 930 is the 'thinking man's car" you have to always plan your attack to maximize the boost and handling characteristics.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 04-14-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mppickett View Post
Heh, Think that is bad? Try a Lotus Super 7 for about 10 minutes

I tried one for about 2 minutes split over 2 drives at the autox nationals a few years ago. Our '58 sprite broke so my multi-national champion buddy jumped in a really nice car and I managed a ride in the Lotus. I could hardly turn the wheel due to my knees in my chest. It handled OK but I didn't think it had anything on the Sprite and then to my surprise the driver of the Lotus won the championship a year or two after that.

Lawman, I'm surprised your car can't out accelerate anything on an entrance ramp.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7310948 View Post
600 horsepower in a 2250 pound body with big everything and 930 lsd!
LOL.

I knew I could count on you, buddy.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Lawson, sounds like the Mustang got to choose his launch so I am sure he optimized his powerband, and if you did the same he might need to catch up.

I was neck in neck with a supercharged Mustang off the line with me babying the clutch but I walked away above 60. His roll-ons where definitely more instantaneous.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

By the way, I cannot even believe that a Cobra weighs 2,500 lbs.

Wow.

I was thinking sub-2000 lb. range. No roof or windows.

My car weighs the same. Plenty of Porsches weigh less...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

He said some number under 250 but over 2000 I don't recall. I know online I have seen 5.0 liter units listed as 2000lbers, so how much weight does a 427 and its accompanying beefier peripherals add?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The 427 won't add much weight. I think those cars have to be less than 2200 lbs.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: