Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Did anyone go back to a Carrera from a 930?

Just curious. I was thinking about getting a Carrera for just running around town and messing around with. Keeping the 930 for gatherings, cruises, spirited runs, etc. But I test drove a Carrera and it felt slow to me even though I know they are fast cars. So now I've found myself looking for another 930 for running around in instead. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually got rid of their 930 to go back to a Carrera? Also, am I crazy for thinking of using a 930 as a sunny dd?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Bill, I've never heard of anyone going back.
I might be able to go back if the Carrera was like Theo's car (2100Lb., 370 HP) but I don't think I'd like anything less after owning a Turbo.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Bill, I've never heard of anyone going back.
I might be able to go back if the Carrera was like Theo's car (2100Lb., 370 HP) but I don't think I'd like anything less after owning a Turbo.
WOW,that is a scary thought. Think of all the earlier Porsche model drivers, not to mention the drivers of other performance cars that will be disapointed in their " rides " once they have stepped outside of the box and have experienced THE 930 especially when modded back near its original development spec of handling & HP mid 70s configuration before being detuned for production to appeal initially to the unenlightened masses of that time.. ..Whew!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I use my 930 as a daily driver, every day M-F, NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER IS!!
I live in the Seattle area, and I've been told it rains and snows here from time to time..so what!!
Although I have to admit these thing really suck in the snow...but I haven't stuffed it yet!
go backward to a carrera...i don't think so!
Mark
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I live in the Seattle area, and I've been told it rains and snows here from time to time..so what!!
Although I have to admit these thing really suck in the snow...but I haven't stuffed it yet!
go backward to a carrera...i don't think so!
Mark
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
About 10 years ago a friend bought an 87 911. He sunk ungodly amounts of money into it and would tell me about how much more power it had than before etc. After several years he finally came by my house to show me some new seats. Just so happened I had the 930 out and I said hey lets swap cars. I'd never driven a 911 before. We drove out to my private country road and I let him lead in my 930. I could not believe how lame his car was. After all he'd done it felt like a slug bug. He'd never driven my 930 and told me that was it, the 911 had to go. He said you can't turn a pigs ear in to a silk purse.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Porschaholic

Garage
One word "why?"
Old 04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Me too! Obviously, I don't generally have to worry about snow (only occasional), but I just love driving this car! I know many owners consider the riggers of daily driving to be "garbage mileage", but EVERY time I'm behind the wheel, the car brings a smile to my face. It is something my kids and I enjoy every morning as I take them to school, and something that I look forward to at the end of my work day! And this is coming from a guy who bought an example that looked like it could have been in the Porsche museum! My car was beyond minty fresh! And honestly, it still is...only much faster One other thing I have in my favor is that my car is ALWAYS garage kept: obviously at home, but my company has a parking garage, so that's a definite beny!

Obviously I'd feel differently if I had to endure severe winters with salty roads, but right now, that's not my perspective on things.

Going forward, I would like to own a long-hood hot rod...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There ain't no gett'n off this juice!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Bill, if it were me, and I wanted a cool dd and wanted to keep it a 911, I'd find an SC or a Carrera that has had a 3.6 transplant. An old school, light weight 3.6 powered SC would make for a fun dd. Find someone else that has spent all the $$ to do the swap.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Porschaholic

Garage
Sand_Man

You're making me misty... I think all of us feel the same way. In fact I'm so obsessed with these cars I've started to make my own T-Shirts because I can't find anything I like at a reasonable price... a bit of a nerd perhaps; but, there's nothing on the planet that makes me happier...

Here's the back

Pocket
Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
If I drove my 930 every day I'd be in jail

I'm thinking of getting a NA Carrera, but I'm leaning towards a 996 model so I have all the creature comforts. I still haven't ruled out something earlier, but until I make room in the garage it's a moot point.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

This is my SAAB story. I sold my 88 930 cabrio a year ago and bought a SAAB for work instead. Meanwhile, I've been looking at other Porches but I CANNOT go back to a regular 911. If anything, I will be looking for a 930 with a hard top this time and will get rid of the SAAB.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'd go back to an early 2,200 lb with 3.6 Varioram for tossability - but anything else would be just dull.

I've learned to dig a Power to Weight ratio of 5 to 1
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I love the shirt, martinb!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Since I do drive mine every day, for over a year now, and I see 110+mph damn near every time I'm in it...I SHOULD BE IN JAIL...but they haven't caught up with me yet. That will be a dismal day for sure, and I know it's when not if!

And it snowed today in the Seattle area!!! Again!!!

New Fikse wheels a B.F.G.'s in a couple of weeks, can't wait to get these butt ugly turbo twists off my car. Sure hope it stops snowing soon!
Mark
Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have both and I would prefer using the Carrera as a daily driver, but I have a BMW for that duty. The 930 is way too frustrating to drive in daily traffic as my typical drive into town is 8 miles. I keep the 930 for late night jaunts with little traffic on the streets/highways.
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I could never go back to a Carrera without a turbo. Now i have the all drivability of a G50 Carrera but with 360hp, loving it!
'13 Z4 35is
'13 MV F4RR
Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

My buddy has a beautiful low mileage 993 C2S that he very exited about. He ran around showin' off his baby to all the neighborhood. It was a story book romance, until....a certain red 930 with her sexy rear end moved into the neighborhood. A couple of dances with the new girl and the divorce papers were in.... the C2S is soon to be history and he's courting a 993TT.

Reminds me of the rent -a- car commercial.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 04-19-2008 at 07:37 AM..
Old 04-19-2008, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Man I love my car...my boost gauge is broken and my mechanics assistant asked me how I have been driving without it. I said "well I don't really need it, I can feel and hear the boost, and besides I drive normal for as long as I can and then when my self control wanes...it's full boost for as long as I can get away with it."

I love the all or nothing approach with these cars. It's not like I "half" accelerate, it's either on or it's off. I either drive like the person in the minivan next to me...or...like the ass end of the car is on fire and I'm trying to outrun the flames. Come to think of with the Zork , sometimes that IS the case!

By the way, I already lost the clock for the AFR gauge, any recommendations on a boost setup from the aftermarket. I don't really need to spend $800 for some techno light show style, I already have the AFR blinking and that's enough. Maybe a dial w/ telltale needle??? Who likes their setup and had any easy install?
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 04-19-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: