Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
After the next project

Garage
Would you put on "clear bra" to protect your paint?

The reason why I'm asking this question, is I have a 87-930 with decent paint and want to protect it from further dings/chips on the hood, fender and bumper areas.

Is it worth adding this solution when there are already imperfections (small specs and chips) in the paint?

Has anyone done this... Pics?

Thanks in advance!

Bryan
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
in a word, yes

discussed here: Black Vinyl or Clear Bra??
Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Man, those posts were informative

Well,

I guess I will be using either 3M or the other product. My car is black and will need this if I want the paint to last. These cars are so low to the ground, we pick up a lot of debris from the road that many other cars would never see.

JV911Sydney, did you ever put this on? have you been happy with it.

I would love to hear testimonials from people that actually have 3M or the competitive product.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
yep its on and i'm very happy with it

i definately would not try to do it myself!

i'll PM you a pic

Last edited by JV911SYDNEY; 04-17-2008 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Love it......

I got the front end done last summer, and had the hood done on the bottom 1/3, I had the headlights wrapped, the entire front bumper and rear bumper wrapped, and not a chip to be found......and it wasn't that expensive either....but have a good shop do the work, mine is almost not visible.....
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Nape75'911T

Which companies product did you use?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Large Member

Garage
Counterpoint-

Not to be a d*ck - but - I'll take a few stone chips and general light rash all day, rather than have my entire front end's paint look like @$$ as well as having gigantic "seam lines" running all over the place (which invariably pick up wax).

By paint looking like @$$, I mean it makes the 'texture' of the paint look like that of a '90s Dodge - very orange peely IMO. ESPECIALLY on black. Friends silver GT3 had it, Orange GT3RS has it, seen black Bentley's with it - big skip for this man.

Sorry, not a fan - no offense to those who are or have it 8-), just devil's advocate. Headlights, sure, go nuts...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I thought about it for a long time, as my 92 had pretty low miles, and I drive it on the interstate to work. In the end, I decided against it. Its a car, and its meant to be driven. I wash it, wax it, and keep it clean, but I don't mind the occasion road rash, it gives it some character.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bryan.....

Mine is 3M, although I know there are some newer ones out there that are supposed to be thinner and more clear. I think krasuskyp has a point....on some cars it looks crappy.....maybe it's the ruby red....but it can't be seen easily. the transition from bare paint to 3M is not noticable either like most I've seen. I also had techs from 3M install it properly, not a tint jockey.

I had the paint sealed as well by the same people, so wax buildup on the seam is a non issue.

Looky here.

http://www.exoticare.ca/2007site/index.html

this is where I had the work done. You could always call Andrew (owner) and ask for some advice, as I realize driving to Toronto is likely not an option......IMHO you get what you pay for......and after repairing 25 years of road rash and badges of honour, while I respect that viewpoint.....I want to preserve my investment. Hell, I didn't wrap the entire car, like the CGT that was in to be wrapped...... ;-)

Good luck.

BTW - it still only cost me $300 for the stoneguard, and $300 to seal the paint with Autobrill........wash and shammy, and it looks like the photo every day.....

Cheers,

Mark
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
I can appreciate both perspectives.

I scheduled an appointment for the guy who was recommended to me by the local Porsche dealership. He is coming out next Friday to tackle the job.

I will happily post pics then, but I would encourage the feedback to keep coming. The better handle I have on this before Friday (April 25th) the better I will feel about it.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

Heck yes.

You should see my paint from track use......
Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If I had to do it over again, I would install something. I've seen it on several cars and you really have to look hard to find it.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I put the 3M clear bra material on my 930 5 years ago- it still looks really great and most people never notice it is on until I point it out to them. My car is dark blue (82 930). I bought a kit which included the 3M material for the hood and headlight areas, and I also bought bulk material and made my own for some additional areas (front bumper, etc). It was quite cheap- less than $180 for everything. I did the install myself and it turned out perfectly.

It is certainly a bit time consuming and you have to be meticulous, but it really is not that tough. As for my satisfaction with it: I love it- you can barely see it, and my paint still looks beautiful- no rock chips! I would highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any specific questions-

Sincerely,
Keith
San Diego, CA
1982 930 (modified- 350 rwhp)
1970 911T
Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Keith,

Where did you buy it?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
wcarson

Keith,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the feedback and feel much more comfortable about using the product. Mine will cost me around $250 installed and that includes the front bumper as extra, along with a thin piece on the edge of the doors.

The local Porsche dealership said this guy is great with his hands and it sounds reasonably priced.

Thanks again,

Bryan
Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Bryan,
You are welcome- I think you'll be very happy with the results. 250$ sounds like a bargain!

I bought the kit for my 930 at a place out of North Carolina called invinca-shield.com, however I think they may have been bought out by another company since then. I bought the bulk material from xpel.com (I think that was their website?)

Best of luck!!

-Keith
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

A friend has a M Roadster that had a 3M clear bra on it. This is what it looked like after he took it off to prep the front for a repaint.

14 535i M Sport
Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Is there a technique to taking it off? Was the car repainted before the clear bra was applied? Either way, it's going to take a little more work, but it's no the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
A friend has a M Roadster that had a 3M clear bra on it. This is what it looked like after he took it off to prep the front for a repaint.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post

Yikes!!

Was thinking of putting this stuff on the front bumper of my new ride for the cross-country trip home. Hmmm, the guy at my local shop said i peeled off easy...maybe not.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Is there a technique to taking it off? Was the car repainted before the clear bra was applied? Either way, it's going to take a little more work, but it's no the end of the world.
The clear bra was installed on a brand new car, so it shouldn't have had any paintwork.
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: