Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

Late 80's distributor question

My 88' has 2 ports on the single vac-can dizzy. Has anyone ditched the mechanisms that sit between the throttle body and the distributor? Anyone run the hoses straight from the throttle body to the dizzy without stopping at the temp switch (back of the motor) and the control switch that leads to the right port of the dizzy?

The late 80's dizzy has a boost retard of approximately 11 degrees. The late 70's cars didn't have this. I am trying to understand my distributor and the max amount of advance I can set without blowing it up. The manuals say 27 degrees at 4000rpm's for early and late cars, but how can this be so if a late 80's dizzy retards 11 degrees when a late 70's does not at all? I don't get it!!!!!!

I am a newbie, so please correct my errors and enlighten me.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've got the dual canister dizzy as well. The vacuum is pulled from the throttle body. The other one is run to the back of the engine to a thermoswitch. If you look at the diargram below, I run mine with out the electrical on/off valve straight to the dizzy.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Rocket,
Any idea what the electrical on/off valve does?

What is your timing at idle (plugged in) and at 4000 rpm's (detached)?

Thank you for the diagram and the info.

Doug

p.s....don't sell your car.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Dsiegel, if you have an 88 US model I believe you have the same dizzy as my 87. The way I understand it the on off switch serves as a warm up function, on cold start the switch doesnt allow vacuum to see the retard port of the dizzy causing a rise in rpm for a few seconds after start then the switch opens allowing vacuum to the dizzy retarding the timing at idle. once you step on the throttle that vacuum is gone. Someone please chime in if I have this wrong.

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"

Last edited by e170drvr; 04-20-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I don't know what it did. I just removed everything when I desmogged my car. Looks a lot cleaner in there now.

I go with 26* at 4000 rpm. Vacuum lines removed and blocked.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I don't know what it did. I just removed everything when I desmogged my car. Looks a lot cleaner in there now.

I go with 26* at 4000 rpm. Vacuum lines removed and blocked.

So it appears that you are running solely on the mechanical advance of your distributor?
If you assume 18 degrees mechanical advance in the US version (number I have heard mentioned) then you are at timed at 8 degrees BTDC at idle.
Let me know if this sounds right.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

No the vacuum lines are hooked up, just not going through the electrical on/off valve in the diagram in the first pic. The other one is hooked up to the throttle body.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: