Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Which one to get?

I am thinking to adjust the air/fuel mixture someday on my stock '87 and I read from this forum suggested do not mess with it without a A/F meter.

I am totally green on this, will LM1 basic kit do the job or I have to get the LM1+LMA3 and what is the difference? The only difference I know is about $300!

Thanks,

yahow
Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You don't want to play with it unles you have a dyno or a A/F meter. If you go too lean, you might burn your motor up. Here's what I have installed full time: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16164&cat=262&page=1
Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Rocket for your quick advice, I will look into that.

Yahow
Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes, I agree that you shouldn't mess with your AFR without some sort of tester. That said, I used a Gunson before I got the LM1 and used that to set my AFR. I set the AFR at idle with the Gunson and IF your CIS is working correctly then when you set it at idle it'll be right on WOT. But after reading a lot of threads and asking lots of questions the LM1 seemed to be the product of choice. Ok, so I picked one up. After I checked the the CO with the Gunson I checked it with the LM1 and my AFR was right on. So with cost not being a factor, I would go with the LM1. But on a budget I wouldn't hesitate going with another Gunson.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Bill, I will do some research
Old 04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Bill, I will do some research on the Gunson.

Yahow
Old 04-19-2008, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The Gunson will only verify CO at idle. If that setting is what you speak of then it works just fine. Every now and then a used one pops up for $100.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I was going to buy a Gunson recently. They're cheap enough on Ebay.

However, the specs rate them as accurate to +/- 0.5%. Which, uhhh, doesn't strike me as very accurate. Might be OK if they were at least consistant and you got a comparison with a professional 4 or 5 gas analyser so you knew where yours was at.

My understanding was that idle setting has less and less influence on overall mixture the further you get from idle on a regular CIS car. It does influence running up to about 3,000 RPM - but almost no effect on WOT. By the time you put boost and enrichment into the picture, that's a whole different ball of wax.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the info, sounds like LM1 is the way to go.

Yahow
Old 04-20-2008, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: