Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche Junky

Garage
Dealer Conversions...

My car, 86 930, started out as a slantnose....but the 505 option does not show up under options, just CO2.....I have every record since new (no dealer sticker) and the first service record shows Andial replacing the headlight motors with Mazda's....

I know Porsche produced about 50 Slants that year, I wonder if they were identified as such? Any info????
Old 04-25-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
If it was an 86, it probably came out of the Special Wishes program because Porsche didn't start officially tracking or labelling them with the M505 (US Version) or the M506 (European Version) until 87 thru 89. At that point, they put the option codes on the label under the front hood as well as on some of the build sheets inthe owner's manual.

IIRC the CO2 is the code for a California delivery vehicle...meaning it had the necessary smog stuff on it to pass California emissions standards.

With regard to the headlights....the 87=89 cars had one single motor in the front middle of the front luggage compartment that drove a round steel rod that went to the headlight buckets on each side. The 944 motors in each of the headlight buckets was usually an aftermarket conversion technique.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 04-25-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
If it has more than one headlight motor in the front bonnet, it's definitely a conversion.

The Factory Special Wishes 930's, the factory 505/506 Slant prices are going to be going through the roof because of their rarity and vintage. Sorry for stating the obvious, but if it's a good price, the car is in good shape and most importantly, you like the car......buy it. After all, a clone is just as much fun as the real thing, isn't it?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Actually...I was wondering if it was worth it to convert it back, if it's a dealer conversion I wouldn't...if it was factory I would...probably have to go through Porsche to actually get it authenticated...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mede8er View Post
Actually...I was wondering if it was worth it to convert it back, if it's a dealer conversion I wouldn't...if it was factory I would...probably have to go through Porsche to actually get it authenticated...

Mine is a factory one........and I got the original pedigree at "PORSCHE EXCLUSIV" here in FRANCE, with the chassis number........so, you probably have the same kind of service on your side.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

mede8er

As stated by Chuck Jones, the factory did not start to track these cars as the M505 (US Version) or the M506 (European Version) until 87 thru 89. However, the Special Wishes options for slantnose has been available since roughly 1982 depending upon how deep your pockets were and how badly you wanted one.

On the other hand, based on your 1st service being through Andial, your car may be an Alan Johnson Racing Conversion...
I say this because of 1:
-The proximity of Andial to Alan Johnson Racing and the fact that they were known to provide work to each other in the past.

and 2: I also own a 930 with slantnose conversion that was done by Alan Johnson Racing.. it had engine work done to it just prior by Andial.
- My conversion also uses the Mazda headlights, however the fenders are one piece stamped factory units...
- It was my understanding that Alan Johnson, being a factory authorized dealer offered conversion in the 80's that used factory parts.. an option offered for this conversion was the use of the factory motor and actuating mechanisms or the use of the "cheaper" Mazda motors... the latter lowering the cost of the conversion from both a parts and labor perspective.

Most of the other "aftermarket" conversion which were done in metal involved actually cutting off the tops of the fenders and adding the flat louvered/non-louvered section with headlight bucket all as one piece. They were then butt welded and finished. Typically you can find the seam under the fender where they were welded.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 04-27-2008 at 08:05 AM..
Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mine is an early conversion and Im not sure who did it. The car came from Germany and went to Washington state (where if it were done here stateside must be where it got done) and then the second owner who I know from California.
Mine has some kind of mazda motors or maybe 944 motors and Nippondenso relays.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: