Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How hot does the 'cold' side of the turbo get?

Preparing to drive my newly acquired 930 cross country and have one item that requires attention before the trip per the owner. The cold side of the turbo has a simple cone filter clamped directly to it... hangin in the breeze. If you look closely in the pix, you can see it

Good for dry cali and great roads, but not so good for driving through a rainstorm in Texas or wherever on the way back east. I have a solution which involves attaching a rubber boot to the turbo inlet (4"), and running flexible aluminum vent tubing into the engine bay, to which of course the air filter is attached (The intake air is warmer, but dry) . My question is, how much temp does the rubber boot need to be resistant to? The problem with clamping the ducting directlly to the turbo, is that the inlet is 4", and too fit the tubing into the engine bay, needs to be 2-3" This is not a permanenent solution, only one to get me and the car home. Thanks guys
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

On average ~150-200 degrees of so, nothing you need to worry about melting rubber or anything.

BTW...a little water mist in the motor doesn't hurt anything. Think of it as a poor mans water injection system

Just buy a 3"-4" silicone transition coupler. They're only like $20 from most GOOD turbo shops online....check out www.vwturbo.com link to part is below

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-SIL-053&Category_Code=SIL-TRN
Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Adam, will do. Geez, you guys really do know everything!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i have mine in the weather so to speak. K&N has a dry sock thing that goes over the filter, it's like a chicks nylon stocking.

bending reducers here, http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=9e0cd66f7c8e886be0d29e1881e28503
maybe cheaper elsewhere, but this is where I've got mine before. I like ATP to
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jer. Is silicone the material of choice here vs rubber? Is is more heat resistant?
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Just be careful with the flexible tubing. Reinforced is better. There is a slight pressure deferential between atmosphere and the inside of the tube due to the pressure drop across the air filter. It's not much, but it could invariably collapse a thin aluminum tube.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Thanks guys...got a bunch of 4" and 3" silicone boots, bends, piping etc for the above sources... should be able to fabricate something when i get out there next week. I cant believe that all that is holding this air filter on the intake side is a simple hose clamp (pix from owner)!!

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-26-2008, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post
Thanks guys...got a bunch of 4" and 3" silicone boots, bends, piping etc for the above sources... should be able to fabricate something when i get out there next week. I cant believe that all that is holding this air filter on the intake side is a simple hose clamp (pix from owner)!!

That's normal Aside from using a t-bolt clamp theres no other method of securing a filter to a turbo inlet.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As a related question to juicersr's question - how many of you guys that track your 930's simply have a filter off the turbo like that? I have mine routed up into the engine bay, but have been considering attaching mine to the turbo as pictured above.

Anyone had any issues doing that?

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeithsmith View Post
As a related question to juicersr's question - how many of you guys that track your 930's simply have a filter off the turbo like that? I have mine routed up into the engine bay, but have been considering attaching mine to the turbo as pictured above.

Brian
Hi Brian,
I've thought about doing the same thing. My air filter looks exactly like yours. I am woried about it falling off and a rock getting in there though. I sent you a PM about a Tec3r question.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeithsmith View Post

Brian
Unless their EFI converted then none. 930's draw air into the CIS fuel head first then into the turbo inlet. That's how they meter airflow to deliver the required fuel.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm definitely NOT referring to a factory setup
EFI/3.2 Inake
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
On average ~150-200 degrees of so, nothing you need to worry about melting rubber or anything.

BTW...a little water mist in the motor doesn't hurt anything. Think of it as a poor mans water injection system

Just buy a 3"-4" silicone transition coupler. They're only like $20 from most GOOD turbo shops online....check out www.vwturbo.com link to part is below

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-SIL-053&Category_Code=SIL-TRN
DO NOT drive in the rain with a filter like you have there,period. Controlled water mist is fine but what happens when road dirt on the filter is carried through in the water? lt happened to me,sad to say and l found a thin film of grime throughout my entire intake system from turbo-pipes-intercooler-manifolds. This happend because l drove ONE TIME in the rain.Once that dirty water passes through the filter it brings dirt with it,remember it`s being sucked through there at high velocity,the real filtration stops when the filter gets wet. Get the right type of intake ducting from Aircraft Spruce,don`t use the aluminum stuff because it is just not up to the job. just my 2$ but from an engineering standpoint that filter location is total crap for anything but a dragracer.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Raceman, i had the same concerns. i will be using a combination of these boots and clamps and 3" aluminum tubing to bring the intake into the engine bay, similar to Brian. Think this will be ok?

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

l think you are right on the money with that set-up....thin wall alloy tubing? Don`t use the aluminum flex tube for anything but a very temporary solution,use the scat tubing instead.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

l think you are right on the money with that set-up....thin wall alloy tubing? Don`t use the aluminum flex tube for anything but a very temporary solution,use the scat tubing instead.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Me like track days

That just might be the most **&^%ic filter setup I've ever seen.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

whats your plan for getting the tubing up into the engine bay? is there anything blocking the old fresh air tubing hole located on the drivers side of the engine bay?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
whats your plan for getting the tubing up into the engine bay? is there anything blocking the old fresh air tubing hole located on the drivers side of the engine bay?
Should be enought room to slip up a pipe past the engine support bar. Definitely going to require a hole saw to the rear tin or just remove it.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'd go with a hole saw and then install a grommet or windlacing to protect the pipe.. You don't want to suck any more hot air in than you have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
Should be enought room to slip up a pipe past the engine support bar. Definitely going to require a hole saw to the rear tin or just remove it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: