Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
village idiot

clutch issues-looking for suggestuions

picked up the car Friday night at 530pm so that i would be able to drive to the Hershey P-car gathering. I figured i still had tuning issues which i have plans to work through, but the wevo short shift kit wasn't installed and worse was when i go to pull out, the car chatters, (shakes) unbelievable until i get rolling.
oh during this almost 9 months of the car being at the garage and splitting the cases, the clutch was replaced with a KEP street clutch and 1&2 race gears and synchros and a billet brace. {i wish IA wasn't 1065 miles each way}

is this as simple as a clutch adjustment that just wasn't performed correctly?
thanks in advance
88 930 cab w/36k miles(ok its the wife's 40th b-day present) She knows the clutch needs replaced. She doesn't know about-3.4L: LN engineering-Nikkies cylinders: 8:1 JE pistons: IA-(fuel head, XDI twin plug ignition, revalved, respringed, reguided & ported n polished heads, matched cam grind): K27HFs: Kokeln IC: Braink Leask-(WUR & RPM switch): H&K-(SSI & dual exhaust): Tial 46mm wg: and lots of parts coated by Calico Coatings.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Todd

Unfortunately, it sounds like the clutch wasn't centered properly at time of install. I don't believe it's an adjustment issue.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Iceman, I hate to differ with you, but I've put in enough clutches in my 930 that if you don't have the clutch centered you'll not get the tranny to mount to the engine...
Remember the spline of the tranny goes right through the clutch plate..
I don't think it's a matter of adjustment either as if it's engaging and dis-engaging, then it's adjusted ok. My guess is it's not seated yet,, OR they didn't finish the flywheel surface or pressure plate. Mine will chatter a bit if my rpms are low and I dump it a bit too fast..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Todd, try giving her some more rpm when you take off- this helped me when I had clutch woes. I now have Clutch Master's unsprung cintered iron and it drives great- Im thinking the chatter that your experiencing may be a mix of not broken in clutch (how many miles on it?) and just the way the clutch is designed. 9drezig may be right in saying that the flywheel wasnt resurfaced but I like to give people the benifit of a doubt.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If iA did the work, I highly doubt your flywheel is the issue (the main source of chatter) as they would of told you if it needed to be re-surfaced (due to hot spots). Just give it a few miles. the clutch disc needs to work itself in with the pressure plate and flywheel. Mine did the same thing for awhile. Its embarrasing, but well worth it in the end.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i Have to adjust mine about every 3 months or so it's a six puck semimetalic. chatters a fair amount and needs occasional adjustment. it will start chattering more then if i do nothing few weeks later start slipping. So now when the chattering getss worse I crawl under with a couple 13mm wrenches and a feeler guage and adjust it only take a couple minutes. I drive it every day and in heavy stop and go traffic so it probably wears more than one would for most people.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Iceman, I hate to differ with you, but I've put in enough clutches in my 930 that if you don't have the clutch centered you'll not get the tranny to mount to the engine...
Remember the spline of the tranny goes right through the clutch plate..
I don't think it's a matter of adjustment either as if it's engaging and dis-engaging, then it's adjusted ok. My guess is it's not seated yet,, OR they didn't finish the flywheel surface or pressure plate. Mine will chatter a bit if my rpms are low and I dump it a bit too fast..
there was also a light weight new pressure plate installed. we left the original flywheel in and did not go with a lightweight because i was informed that the stock flywheel weight actually helps keep the rpms between shifts, ( i think that is what i was told) rather a LW pressure plate and upgraded clutch would be better. I did managed to get about 150 miles on it this weekend. various rpms.

the other thing that i am having an issue with is seems to be a lot of blue(oil) smoke at start up until it gets warm. From my motorhead days (chevy v8)another lifetime ago, we had the rings a little loose due to 12.5:1 compression. so i am hoping that the smoke clears in a few hundred more miles.
thnaks for the info. going over to teh garage today to see about getting the car back in to have these things looked at.
88 930 cab w/36k miles(ok its the wife's 40th b-day present) She knows the clutch needs replaced. She doesn't know about-3.4L: LN engineering-Nikkies cylinders: 8:1 JE pistons: IA-(fuel head, XDI twin plug ignition, revalved, respringed, reguided & ported n polished heads, matched cam grind): K27HFs: Kokeln IC: Braink Leask-(WUR & RPM switch): H&K-(SSI & dual exhaust): Tial 46mm wg: and lots of parts coated by Calico Coatings.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
If iA did the work, I highly doubt your flywheel is the issue (the main source of chatter) as they would of told you if it needed to be re-surfaced (due to hot spots). Just give it a few miles. the clutch disc needs to work itself in with the pressure plate and flywheel. Mine did the same thing for awhile. Its embarrasing, but well worth it in the end.
WOOOOAAAAHHHH! IA DID NOT ASSEMBLE THE MOTOR. I would have wished. I am sorry if my comment was not clear, I wish IA was closer than 1065 miles, so i could get teh car to Stephen to fix it. (and for the commic relifs out there, even closer than 1064 miles )

Sorry let me repeat, UNFORTUNATELY for me-all IA did was the head work and sold me the electronic XDI.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
village idiot

UPDATE:
car went back to shop on Monday. Came home again today. Obnoxious clutch chatter was from the clutch cable moving and binding up, this also seem to make the rpms stick momentarily. Anyways runs good so far. Now back to the tunning issues.
at least the motor/tranny didnt have to get pulled.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: