Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cross country in the 930/4. Day 1

The sun was shining bright (as always) in San Diego when i took delivery of this beast. Tim, a cordial English gent and pelicanite with a bad case or our disease (a 964/ speedster/ 356 coupe and the 930/4... plus more in england!) was gracious enough to lend me the tools from his garage with which to fabricate a proper turbo intake. Thanks for your time and cup of tea Tim. Then, my girlfriend and i were off.

A few observations. This car is brutal. It idles and spools up EXACTLY like the 935s and the Turbo RSR i saw at Rennsport. It's clutch is absurb, as it is either in or out, but sometimes likes to make you guess with chatter. You manhandle this thing in every way... and i loved it. Driving this car is about as close as i will probably come to piloting the Turbo rsr, 934 or 935, and thats ok by me.

The suspension needs some work, as i didnt feel completely comfortable at super high speeds in the mountains east of San Diego. It is great for the trip though.

Did i mention the attention? People sit in your blind spot, taking cell phone photos and trying to figure out what the hell you are, and is something this wide legal on the road. Mullet guys in their Neons and Saleens come up beside and gun.

A fantastic first day... made it the little town of Lordsburg, NM before crashing. Enjoy the pix and see you in the am.

1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Beautiful car, glad you're having a good time. Best of luck in weather and road conditions!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Nice update- keep 'em coming.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

May the weather, traffic, and road gods be with you, young Luke! If all else fails, use the force...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Roads like this are going to make it FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post

Old 05-02-2008, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicersr View Post

A few observations. This car is brutal. It idles and spools up EXACTLY like the 935s and the Turbo RSR i saw at Rennsport. It's clutch is absurb, as it is either in or out, but sometimes likes to make you guess with chatter. You manhandle this thing in every way... and i loved it. Driving this car is about as close as i will probably come to piloting the Turbo rsr, 934 or 935, and thats ok by me.

The suspension needs some work, as i didnt feel completely comfortable at super high speeds in the mountains east of San Diego. It is great for the trip though.

Did i mention the attention? People sit in your blind spot, taking cell phone photos and trying to figure out what the hell you are, and is something this wide legal on the road. Mullet guys in their Neons and Saleens come up beside and gun.
DOOOOOD...

You, my man - are *LEGEND*. I'm loving that car (duh) and the voyage you have embarked up on in *IT*. Way too cool. As others have experienced via similar, these are times you will forever cherish. Awesome.

Xcountry in that thing - man oh man. Looking forward to your updates. You're living our dreams brutha... tx for sharing. That car simply makes me gaga... oy. I can't fathom bombing along in the family truckster and stumbling upon that beast in context - CRYKIES!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
a.m., Day 2

Does my ass look big in the morning?

Thanks for all your comments and support. Will be getting back on the road shortly, and heading along i20 through TX, LA and possibly AL if make good time (which is not hard to do!)

If any of you guys want to meet up in passing, give me a ring at 910-352-5088.

So far, the car is running great, with only a minute leak from one of the oil lines causing some oil misting on the rear. The owner was running shell Rotella, so that's what i'm adding with, unless anyone recommends something else.

Jer, gonna give you a call this am if you are gonna be in north LA.

Cheers to all, and here is my 'Jack' shot before getting on road

ps - should have some video tonight, so stay tuned.
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I ran the Rotella with pretty good results...both the dino version and the synthetic. However, I believe their formula has changed, and as such is lacking in the Zinc that our engines like. I have switched to Brad Penn 20W-50 it's been my favorite. For the purposes of getting your car home, you should be fine with the Rotella.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-02-2008, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

More than you ever wanted to know about oil. Save this one for several rainy days:
Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils

Another excellent source:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Old 05-02-2008, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

English gent here, I am glad it is all going well, the exact oil I put in it was Rotella T SAE 30. Any pics of the Speedo in a funny place?

59 Porsche 356 A Coupe Outlaw
61 Porsche 356 B Coupe Outlaw
89 Porsche 964
Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

English gent, here I must change my signature as I have less cars than I used to have
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If you come through Dallas, I would be happy to meet.
Maxx
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Good idea on the green tape. Keep the photo's coming!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Day 2 pm

Finally made it in to LA at 1 am... dead tired but with a sh$$ eating grin on my face. Now i know what you guys are really about... this is not just a car, it's a strap on rocket pack with an afterburner. Am really too tired for much comentary, so here's a few pix and a youtube vid of start-up in am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-eQ5jvRd4

PS - u guys that live in TX, does half of your budget go to law enforcement
Nailed x2. Took forever to get out of that state

D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Yeah the cops are pretty bad there, some cool ones though.

When you get a chance can you take some detailed pics of the fuel filler in the hood? Underhood and on top shots would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Enjoy your drive!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Man, sweet car!! Any chance you'll be heading through central AL? There are some great roads around here. Hwy 25 especially. It's raining today though Good luck! Have fun!!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbo 13b guy

Wow I went out to to Odessa TX to get my car and drove it back to Atlanta. I know that trip well.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! for all of us who have "fly and drive" histories with our cars , thanks! l bought my car before Pelican existed
Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Hi guys, just an update to let you know i finally made it the 2,475 miles back home! Got in late last nite. I had planned to stretch the trip out another day, but the threat of bad weather, stuff i had to do, and my girlfiend's yoga class today, my friends in Hickory and elsewhere being tied up, made us push the trip forward. That, plus i was damn tired from (but not of) driving!

And the car? Didn't miss a beat!!!!! The engine ran cool and perfectly and pulled like a freight train every step of the way. I found myself loving this thing more and more with each mile. I truly believe it is the perfect combo (for me at least) of old-schoold 1970's/80's Porsche racer and day-to-day practicality. This thing is literally like a steetable 935 that can be driven everyday. The zork sounds great at idle, with the high overlap of the 934 cam making it sound more like a V8, and at speed, conversation with the windows up is no problem. An you know what, despite my fears, the Recaro racing seats were incredibly comfy... i didn't get any back fatigue throughout the trip, and my girlfriend even slept in hers without any complaints.

The best thing about driving your ride home, is that you really get to intimately know her, with all her quirks. By yesterday, the on/off clutch was not an issue, as i drove through downtown Birmingham. u really get to know where the sweet spot are in the RPM range, when the boost really hits, and all the other subjective things which come only with miles of driving.

The power of this car never ceased to amaze. I could pretty much smoke any other car that happened to be tailgating or some Ricky Redneck who wanted to play. Before they even knew what was happening, i was long gone. You guys are right, this boost thing is totally addictive. Plus, you add in the sound of the zork, wastegate, and blow-off valve and it's porsche heaven.

RSRMike, wish i had known you were around, stopped at my old watering hole of Nabeel's in homewood for late lunch about 4pm yesterday for a break in the drive... could have met up.

Reaper, sorry to disspoint. The PO was getting around to intalling a centerfill tank, and had put mock-up disks where the flip-lids would be, but under the hood is reg tank and strut brace.

Thanks for tuning in. She gets cleaned up today, and then off to the dyno this week to see what's really going on , and check out the AFR's to make sure everything looks good. Thanks for the welcome to the board. Cheers
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Great story....
Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: