Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Poll: rear bumper pads - yay or nay
Poll Options
rear bumper pads - yay or nay

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Get euro ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Hi,
Neat thread!! I'm going to try to address a lot of stuff here in one email.

1) I have the Euro's and want them off for the "shaved smooth" look.
2) There is so little protection to the US or Euro's, I don't see the point in them. I try not to park where I am prone to a bump. Going down the road, minimal protection at best.
3) The bumpers are amazingly light for how much Aluminum is there, they always amaze me when I pick the up. Just an observation.
4) How much other Bastardizations have you done to your car? It's gets easier as you go along ;-) Don't sweat it BayBee, slash and burn those things off of there!
5) I like the 80's 930 look also, 90's trim is not in my future. Just my opinion.

Ok, here it comes, stand back....

6) Quote: "I think Fuchs are fuch'n ugly..." Quack, you better lock your doors and lie low for a while. I've got hoards of Vampire Hunters out there looking for you right now. I ain't talkin' Buffy the Vampire slayer either, I'm talkin' Wesley Snipes minus his attorneys like in Blade I, II, III. They're gonna hunt you down and hammer a stake in your heart to keep you from breedin' more Mutant Fuch's haters! You Douche-Bag!

Les

p.s. I was just kiddin' about #6, well sorta!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Skunk works

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
You do have another option and that is to go with the smaller EURO bumper extensions
+1

the larger US pads are too big and fugly IMO

the euro ones are a classic porsche (no bumperetts does look clean though)
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I voted to get rid of them, they’re big and distract too much from the whale tale (kind of like rear facing tits), but more importantly to me are the bellows.
I have an IROC/FMOC front bumper and it just looks clean without the bellows.

Going to replace my rear bumper with something that looks like this, yea buddy, I will
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Euro or smooth

Last edited by VZ935; 05-14-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I might pull one off this weekend, just to see what's lurking under there. For all I know the double Ds are melted to the bumper and won't come off easily. We'll see...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-15-2008 at 05:51 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8ton View Post
I voted to get rid of them, they’re big and distract too much from the whale tale (kind of like rear facing tits)
Heh heh... I defer to my initial reply ^above^ 8-).

YABOES - while I normally love 'em... these here you just cannot get a good motorboat out of so what use are they?

Either paint some nips on 'em and get it over with or loose them and call it a day!

Bewbies - there - I said it.

Can some more of youses post up yourses with the full Mastectomy? Mine's going in for a front bumper reshoot in a few weeks and I may just may yank mine (errrrr, stop it) and have them filled "while it's in there". Hmmmm. Need to see which "look" I like best first tho. Danka!

Plus don't they weight like 15lbs each or some crap like that? Between loosing those, last week's A/Cectomy and next week's RarlyL8ing (schwing!) I stand to loose some measurable weight back there - noice!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-15-2008, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Ok LES GARTEN.....here's how it stands........for line #6 of your response....
Bring on the hunters...I'm better armed and could use some target practice.....it'll be like shoot'n fish in a barrel.
The following target description is all I have to site in on... guys that dodge the puddles in order to keep their cars clean, guys that have a chamois in both hands when walking around their car, guys that only bring their cars out when it's above 75 degrees & no pollen in the air, guys with pictures of their cars in their wallets, guys with 3 car covers, 1 for summer, 1 for winter, and 1 for whenever they drive and park the car(that of course is after they chamois off the car). I could go on and on and get into distinctive clothing styles like Birkenstock's with white socks or shinny penny loafer etc, etc...but I'm afraid I've already pissed off enough Fuchs lovers.
Before you all respond ,give me a second..I'm reloading!

P.S. all you folks do know this is all in fun...right?

P.P.S. I get my new Fikse 5's on Monday. Furthermore, why am I the only one that seems to have seriously lowered their car, all I see in the pictures are stock ride height cars, with an occasional one down maybe an 1"
Mark
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post

Hey Jeff-

Any idear whose car ^that^ is? CT, to boot - go figure! Dig the center pipes heh heh.

ANYwho... anyone have any insight as to what plate light setup that car's running? I don't really care if I have the lights or not but kind of do like the way it breaks up the sea of 'red' back there otherwise.

TIA!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

How to clean up the bumper?

Hi,
OK, How did you guys clean up the rear Bumper. On the Bumper shocks are wellded in studs. Did you guys drill them out and weld in studs to the Orig bumper and grind them down flush? Also how did you get rid of all the holes and what not for the Bumperettes? When you guys say plug and fill, were you referring to welding them up with Aluminum? I like the total slick look except for some Ventilation holes.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Hey Jeff-

Any idear whose car ^that^ is? CT, to boot - go figure! Dig the center pipes heh heh.

ANYwho... anyone have any insight as to what plate light setup that car's running? I don't really care if I have the lights or not but kind of do like the way it breaks up the sea of 'red' back there otherwise.

TIA!
Tehe, that be my ass, (I feel cheap & dirty now ). The exhaust is a custom M&K that Ben worked on with me. The lights are from a Bimmer, (host sells them. I can dig up the part number if you need it. I've since painted them black. A bit more sporty look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Hi,
OK, How did you guys clean up the rear Bumper. On the Bumper shocks are wellded in studs. Did you guys drill them out and weld in studs to the Orig bumper and grind them down flush? Also how did you get rid of all the holes and what not for the Bumperettes? When you guys say plug and fill, were you referring to welding them up with Aluminum? I like the total slick look except for some Ventilation holes.
I did mine this past winter. Some have welded the holes shut. I just used thickened expoxy. Works fine. I did nothing with the shock tubes. I like the looks of the rubber that hides the bolts and it matches the front end.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Yeah, I thought about the Euro bumper guards. I think the US pads take three holes to attach, and the Euros take two - I THINK. And I'm not sure if those holes align properly. I'm not drilling holes. I guess I could do some investigating.
I took off my US 15lb a piece bumper pads and installed the Euro pads. They use only 2 bolts where as the US used 4.....the good thing is that the Euros needed no drilling in the bumper. They lined right up with what was there.
I used nice black plastic plugs from the local hardware store to cover the open holes, looks real nice and the Euro pads were only 3-4lbs each.
You need something to protect the rear bumper when that 80 year old man in his cadillac or buick land yacht taps you at a stop light when he pulls right up on your bumper.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
R&D guy

US bumperettes - no

The official modified bumpers thread!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckterrier View Post
Tehe, that be my ass, (I feel cheap & dirty now ). The exhaust is a custom M&K that Ben worked on with me. The lights are from a Bimmer, (host sells them. I can dig up the part number if you need it. I've since painted them black. A bit more sporty look.

I did mine this past winter. Some have welded the holes shut. I just used thickened expoxy. Works fine. I did nothing with the shock tubes. I like the looks of the rubber that hides the bolts and it matches the front end.
Awesome Buck, thanks for replying. Looks fantastic! I'll hunt them 2002 / Merkeur lights down, if they're reasonable I'll go with if not I'll forego. I kinda like the look with them as it does provide some nuance to that area there.

DW1, that looks *stellar* on a black car! Very nice.

I'm all over this - thanks for the responses and motivation. I've been wanting to rid the insipid BOOBIES since before I got it 8-)! Yaboes BE GONE! And I agree, keeping the rub strips matches the front nicely. Just what the Dr. ordered.

Oh, and Buck, let me know if you ever want to gtg for a brew, Norwich ain't that far from where I live (near UCONN).

Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
R&D guy

thanks

krasuskyp, thanks for the compliment.

As I wrote in my post in the "official modified bumper thread":

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I debated about taking the rubber strips off of the bumper and filling in those holes, but I decided that to match the front I should keep them on, and I like how they add emphasis - kind of like eyebrows - to the pipes.

I REALLY like the look, but if I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I wouldn't have gone for the euro bumperettes. I am now very paranoid about another car tapping my rear bumper and breaking the license plate lights."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, fredmeister makes a good point about the 80 year old and his caddy, but in many cases I think an appropriate application of the go pedal keeps people from getting too close.

BTW, my respect to someone lists a '58 3A and calls it a "commuter". Somewhat masochistically, I've had a TR3A, TR6 & TR8.

To respond to 'full quack': My car is now at euro-spec ride height (roughly 24.5 f&r) and has the bump-steer spacers. It's about as low as it can go and still be streetable on the roads where I live. Heck, it's about as low as it can go and still get it out of my driveway.

Oh, and being in NJ, I really should have voted #4. Ya gotta problem wit dat?

Last edited by dw1; 05-16-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Old 05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Again, thanks guys!!! Hopefully this weekend, wifey and kids will leave me to my silly/sick vices and I'll have a few moments to pull that uglieness off!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1 View Post
BTW, my respect to someone lists a '58 3A and calls it a "commuter". Somewhat masochistically, I've had a TR3A, TR6 & TR8.
Heh heh heh... funny not many here seem to either care or bother noting Triumph references.

Jah mon... it's been my nice-day commuter since my office moved out of downtown. Heck it gets the best MPG of my junk soooooo. Had it 15yrs now. TR8, you poor bastid 8-).

Which kinda cracks me up when people start talking about rear end protection. Have you SEEN the "bumpers" on a TR3 (I know you have dw1)?

I think your spinal cord / back of your cerebellum is about all the protection one is afforded heh heh. I think I'll be "OK" removing *anything* from the back of der 930, comparatively!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

My hero (Dad) standing next to his daily driver:

This is "new school" for him. As a kid, I remember he switched cars more frequently than I change my underpants! We had them all: a TR3A, an old Healey, some MG-Bs, Alfas, Porsche 356, some early Beetles, another TR6, Volvo 1800, a ***** box of a Fiat, blah, blah, yada, yada. All of them daily driven in FL heat!

Last edited by sand_man; 05-16-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Ah that's great! Too funny on his frequent car changes. Good stuff. Admire his tastes!

Funniest part? Note them thar TR6 over riders... look familiar (well close enough)? ARGH!

8-)

Nice lookin' rig he's got there.

My dad had a '3 too that he traded in on a new TR4A IRS (one of 3 new cars ever in my family in 50 years). We used the '4 as a "clubhouse" in the driveway, I just pitched it last year actually as I just don't have the time or $ for the basketcase it'd become. Sad.

I opt'd to resto a '3 back in college as my way of remembering him...

Anywho...

Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Funniest part? Note them thar TR6 over riders... look familiar (well close enough)? ARGH!
Actually, as soon as I posted the picture, the "teets" on his TR6 were just glaring at me!!!! HAHAAHHAHAA!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: