Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

Poll: rear bumper pads - yay or nay
Poll Options
rear bumper pads - yay or nay

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

rear bumper pads - yay or nay

I've decided to keep my hefty stock bumpers. The car is my daily driver and my kids do ride in it. However, I just can't make up my mind about those lard ass bumper pads on the back. They are period correct and do offer some protection from simple parking lot "accidents".

I know the "right" way to do this would be to remove them and fill the holes, and have the bumper re-painted. But you just never know when I might find that new owner that prefers the pads...totally stock look. So I'm thinking about filling the holes with color matched plugs to simplify the re-installation process.

Currently, I have removed the rear wiper, the ugly cyclops "War of the Worlds" third brake light, and the lower valence.

I am planning to keep the corner rub strips. And I would use the LED license plate bolt lights.

This is the look I'm talking about:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-08-2008 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Why do I have a feeling everyone will be slecting the last option on my poll?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I like the bumperettes the large ones.. I must be a minority

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I voted #2. I must be a loner now! I figure you can always put the bumpers back on if it don't look right. How much do those bumpers weigh? Looks heavy!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

15 pounds is what I've heard...i think that's for the pair.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
HA!

Mindreader.

Just for knowing that is what I was going to select, I'll refrain.

I'm with you, completely hate the ginormous overriders. Maybe score some smaller Euro ones? Best of both worlds maybe.

Some day I hope to fit up some sorta 964 cover or something. Dunno. Anything ANYTHING but them insipid DOUBLE f'n D's.

On that note... maybe brush on a set of resplendent aeriola's and matching nips and call it a day?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Ok, I'll chime in for what it's worth. You do have another option and that is to go with the smaller EURO bumper extensions.
I personally dislike any rubber bumper extensions as well as the very attractive accordion bellows. My car needs paint, so when that gets done, I plan to remove all of the above (shove it into the attic for future resale) and replace the whole shoot'n match with a 1 piece fiberglass unit (front & rear).
However, I will not do the 90's update look, I like the lines of the older cars just not the necessary evils of the 5mph bumper crap.
So just because you take the stock stuff off, doesn't mean you ruin the resale. Just don't butcher the car up & stick to bolt on replacements & you can have the best of both worlds.
As a totally off the subject side note...I think Fuchs are fuch'n ugly...so that tells you how warped I am.
Yeah yeah I can hear it now....."some peoples kids, you buy em books & send em to school....& look what you get!"

Mark
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Yeah, I thought about the Euro bumper guards. I think the US pads take three holes to attach, and the Euros take two - I THINK. And I'm not sure if those holes align properly. I'm not drilling holes. I guess I could do some investigating.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I think they are interchangable.

I removed mine because the left one was melting due to heat from the turbo.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I plan to remove mine and the strips, just like rocket's above, but will rattlecan the bolt heads to match.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I like the look of losing the strips and the bumperettes, so I voted "Douche Bag" BTW I loved Sopranos hehe.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The euro and US bumper pads are NOT interchangeable. Sand Man is correct - different holes/spacing.
55 Belair
40 Ford pickup
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I like the look of losing the strips and the bumperettes, so I voted "Douche Bag" BTW I loved Sopranos hehe.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I voted for # 3 since the red car is mine
Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

btw... I used thickened epoxy, you can drill that back out easily enough if you'd want to go back.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I voted to keep them, yet do like some lightweight designs. Wondering what is the consensus, when the rear bumper is replaced with FG/CF; what can happen, an accident maybe, but isn't the rear cross member is right there.

Regards,
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BReyes View Post
I voted to keep them, yet do like some lightweight designs. Wondering what is the consensus, when the rear bumper is replaced with FG/CF; what can happen, an accident maybe, but isn't the rear cross member is right there.

Regards,
I know that in the big picture, you pays your money and you takes your chances..."real" (factory) bumper or not. I just like the idea of those impact shocks being attached to the hefty aluminum bumper over one of the fiber based bumpers. And this is coming from a guy that loves to remove shizzle in the name of weight savings, serviceability, and functionality...

Last edited by sand_man; 05-09-2008 at 06:31 AM..
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I need to paint my bolts as well. Just never got around to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4duke View Post
I plan to remove mine and the strips, just like rocket's above, but will rattlecan the bolt heads to match.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Wayah Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
It's going to be too hard to resist! Even if I would otherwise say --- keep it period correct.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Ok, I'll chime in for what it's worth. You do have another option and that is to go with the smaller EURO bumper extensions.
I personally dislike any rubber bumper extensions as well as the very attractive accordion bellows. My car needs paint, so when that gets done, I plan to remove all of the above (shove it into the attic for future resale) and replace the whole shoot'n match with a 1 piece fiberglass unit (front & rear).
However, I will not do the 90's update look, I like the lines of the older cars just not the necessary evils of the 5mph bumper crap.
So just because you take the stock stuff off, doesn't mean you ruin the resale. Just don't butcher the car up & stick to bolt on replacements & you can have the best of both worlds.
As a totally off the subject side note...I think Fuchs are fuch'n ugly...so that tells you how warped I am.
Yeah yeah I can hear it now....."some peoples kids, you buy em books & send em to school....& look what you get!"

Mark
I was right with you until you slammed the look of Fuchs.

OMFG!!!!!!!!

There is no wheel on earth nicer than a deep dish Fuch on a Porsche, IMO.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: