Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Large Member

Garage
a/c removal

Morning gentz-

Being in temperate CT and a wind in the hair kinda guy - and considering my a/c seems to only propegate tepid air - I'm thinking I'm gonna yank the system and shelve it.

I almost started just disconnecting things last night, but being a Pollock I figured I'd F something up and better ask you experts first.

Any pitfalls / suggestions / tips? Looked pretty straightforward. Do I need to purge the system first or just crack a line and start removing stuff? OK to also gank the condenser I assume?

I did remove the wiper motor since the PO had already removed the blade, both now on shelf, and devised a nifty plug for it. Course managed to nick the paint with the motor shaft as it dropped down - I rule.

Also considering ganking ET Phone Home CHMSL (3rd brake light - different than 3rd input), I noted someone referenced that here the other day with a War of The Worlds comment heh heh. What remains after removal? Some sorta hole right? What plug method I wonder? Allen's looked like a beoch to access - do I have to remove the lid to do such? If so I may pass we'll see.

Anywho... any input appreciated TIA!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

My AC was cold for about two weeks after I first brought home the car...after that, the R12 ran dry. After dealing with the headaches of working around the compressor and/or having to leave it on the passenger side rear fender, wrapped in a blacket, whenever I needed to move it out of the way...I decided to ditch it!!

I'm told it might be against the law to just crack open the system without evacuating it first...use your judgment there. It's also harmful to the environment...as if this entire beast of a car isn't harmful...better leave that one for the Off Topic forum. Mine had next to no pressure in it. I removed the compressor and the tail condensor. Often the compressor pedastal is used as a muffler/exhaust mounting point...so that can stay. Where the AC lines enter the fire wall at each corner, I just cut them and shoved a plug in each line. If I plan to ever have AC again, I'll be upgrading to new barrier hoses. I left everything else in tact (front condensor, evaporator, etc.)
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

You might also need to consider blocking off the tail, where the condensor once was. I never bothered.

As for the third brake light, I have purchased an inside mount the sticks to the inside of the rear window. It's made by Hella and has LEDs. works very well, but I have tinted glass, so it's probably not as bright is it could be. I'll post a picture, later. I bought it from Daniel Stern Lighting...an excellent resource!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks Jeff!

Do I have to cut the lines or can I just leave them in there tied up out of the way?

Why fill the condensor area of the wing? Won't the airflow provide air to the airbox and general cooling to the motor? Box is right there. And do I have to remove lid to get to bolts? If not, how? Edumucate me puhleeze I'm thick 8-).

Agreed on Daniel Stern products, great stuff great resource. But did ET leave an unsightly gaping hole?

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Here's a link to the light I bought:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
It's the model 37 Hella Third Brake Lamp:

Once the light was stuck in place, I tucked the wires along side the window rubber down to the lower corner (driver side) of the rear window. There is a grommit there that I think the rear defrost wires go through. That hole goes into the engine compartment and there i just used the same wires that the cyclops was using. You might need to remove the rear speaker panel.

When you remove the Cyclops there are three holes: two smaller ones and a larger one in the middle. I found some plugs at Ace hardware and just painted them to match the body.

Last edited by sand_man; 05-09-2008 at 09:02 AM..
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Thanks Jeff!

Do I have to cut the lines or can I just leave them in there tied up out of the way?

Why fill the condensor area of the wing? Won't the airflow provide air to the airbox and general cooling to the motor? Box is right there. And do I have to remove lid to get to bolts? If not, how? Edumucate me puhleeze I'm thick 8-).
You might be able to tie up the hoses, or fold them out of the way...I guess I was fearful of someting hitting the fan.

I've heard it said that you improve the airflow to the intercooler by blocking the passenger side of the tail. Maybe design the block off so that the air box is still getting some freash air...partial block off? I don't know. I left it open.

You can remove the tail condensor without having to remove the tail. You will see the fasteners.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
When I bought my '83 it had full a/c including a massive aftermarket condenser mounted on the bellypan. The car had been sitting for 3 years prior to my purchase, so the system had only minuscule refrigerant still in it. Since I live in the Seattle area I opted to remove the entire shoot'n match.
I unbolted and removed everything with NO cutting of anything, simply took an entire evening and carefully extracted ever component. This even included taking out the small condenser core inside the small box that resides inside the smugglers cubby hole. I retained the core housing and the internal fan so that I could still have additional air flow on those muggy days.
I had to make a small cover plate for the front condensers fresh air inlet that is behind the front bumper, and another slightly larger plate to fill the hole where the front condenser was. Simply bought some nice 1/8" thick black plastic and cut out the needed covers, used the factory screw holes to attach, a little clear silicone, and all is done.
My total system components weighed in at 53 !/2 lbs., although the massive underbelly condenser was a big contributor to all that weight.
Furthermore the big a/c lines do not really go thru the firewall, they simply pass behind the rear shock top towers and are sealed around the sheet metal with foam strips, you do not have to cut them to get them out, just a lot of patients and swearing gets the job done.
Mark
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Furthermore the big a/c lines do not really go thru the firewall, they simply pass behind the rear shock top towers and are sealed around the sheet metal with foam strips, you do not have to cut them to get them out, just a lot of patients and swearing gets the job done.
Mark
Yes that's what I mean...up where the shocks attach. I knew up front that I was only removing some of the componets...that's why I just cut the lines there.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
When I bought my '83 it had full a/c including a massive aftermarket condenser mounted on the bellypan. The car had been sitting for 3 years prior to my purchase, so the system had only minuscule refrigerant still in it. Since I live in the Seattle area I opted to remove the entire shoot'n match.
I unbolted and removed everything with NO cutting of anything, simply took an entire evening and carefully extracted ever component. This even included taking out the small condenser core inside the small box that resides inside the smugglers cubby hole. I retained the core housing and the internal fan so that I could still have additional air flow on those muggy days.
I had to make a small cover plate for the front condensers fresh air inlet that is behind the front bumper, and another slightly larger plate to fill the hole where the front condenser was. Simply bought some nice 1/8" thick black plastic and cut out the needed covers, used the factory screw holes to attach, a little clear silicone, and all is done.
My total system components weighed in at 53 !/2 lbs., although the massive underbelly condenser was a big contributor to all that weight.
Mark
I did exactly the same thing, including keeping the front fan for some cabin air circulation if I get stuck at a stop light and need something to keep the heat down.

The only difference is that I used aluminum instead of plastic to cover all the holes in the front trunk, and sealed them with fiberglass glue.

My AC was more like 75 lbs, but it had two condensors and a sort of safety grille under the front of the car.

I got some lightweight aluminum crank/fan pulleys from Richard Clewett. I think not having the parasitic drag of a AC unit made a difference in how fast my engine spins up. The car felt different for sure, in a subtle way.

While I was at it, I removed every single piece of my windshield washing system and also installed a lightweight Deka battery. Now I have a huge amount of open space in my front trunk, instead of a cluttered mess since I don't carry the spare tire either.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Great, thanks for all the replies guys appreciate the guidance. I'll get on it tonight! I'll have to see how far "forward" I want to go with the "-ectomy", I'm not sure what / where those front bits are you're referring to will have to looky.

Jeff, when I asked about removing the rear lid it was in reference to the CHMSL - what - you cannot read my mind???!!!??? Geesh 8-). The bolts looked tucked WAY up under the lid's upper lip.

Tx again.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post

Jeff, when I asked about removing the rear lid it was in reference to the CHMSL - what - you cannot read my mind???!!!??? Geesh 8-). The bolts looked tucked WAY up under the lid's upper lip.

Tx again.
LOL!!! Gotcha...sorry about the confusion. You should be able to reach the evil eye without having to remove the tail.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Alrighty... compressor / condenser removal... total joke. Lines? Arf. WHoever said alot of swearing was right - oy.

Sooooo... all's out, except where the 2 lines run up the steering rack in the high center of the car. WTF? Neither my 5yr old nor 3yr olds' tiny little mits could even ever hope to endeavor to reach up their.

I'm kinda pissed. Spent all that time trying to do it "right" (not cutting), only to realize I'm guessing I'm likely going to have to cut them @ the rack there.

Bueller?

Good news is the weight savings. All that stuff sure adds up. Not to mention the friggin BOULDERS and metric tons of gravel them lines were hiding along the sills / wheel wells. I bet I lost 5lbs in stones alone! Carazy.

F'n A - 2:22 a.m. - time to sleep.

Tx again for any thoughts.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

If you unscrew the lines from the evaporator, and have the large sheet metal cover under the steering rack removed they slide right out. No reason to cut them.
A few adel clamps to remove here and there and patch the screw holes in the pan where they were with a dab of silicone and you're done.
It's dirty under there, safety glasses help, but the job is really easy.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks - I think I have everything disconnected - LF driver fender well 'thingy', front / center condenser 'thingy', etc. Have the center cover under the rack off.

So I can just pull on those 2 lines that run up past the rack and they're free? Pardon me ignoramus...

Tx again.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: