Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Is Brad Penn racing oil dino or syn???? thanx

I have read you guys talking about Brad Penn green racing oil.. the sites I checked didnt say it was synthetic but then again didnt say it was Dino grade..I dont run syn in my car and want to make sure it isnt syn....thanx
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It's partial synthetic.

Why don't you run synthetic in your 930?
Mobil 1 is factory recommended.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Haha View Post
It's partial synthetic.

Why don't you run synthetic in your 930?
Mobil 1 is factory recommended.
Ok, everybody duck! Incoming!

Oh Haha,
Take a gander at this thread. It's quite interesting but a little long on the tooth......
Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils

Last edited by WERK I; 05-10-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: The link would help
Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've been through that thread since the beginning.

I'm not sure what you were getting at. His question was about the Brad Penn being synthetic or not.

I run Brad Penn in my SC but I've not seen much a of a difference from Castrol that I had been running. I chose to go with the BP based on what I read here on Pelican. While not a turbo, I still felt that it was/is the right oil for my application.

I know several 930 owners that run the mobil 1.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2008, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Sorry, didn't mean to rain on anybody's parade here, but......

The Mobil 1 Syn is not really recommended for flat tappet engines since the oil had been reformulated. Mobil reformulated the oil for cat equipped engines since the concentrations of Zinc in their previous blend had an adverse effect on the life of the cats. Recently, Mobil has again reformulated the oil stating they have increased the levels of Zinc for our type of engines, but the jury is still out on that. The Mobil 1 Syn for motorcycle engines, according to cnavarro has the best levels of Zinc from Mobil's line of synthetic oil. It's expensive and that's why he suggested the synthetic blend of Brad Penn....lower cost.

I had used the Mobil 1 for quite a while on my engine before I rebuilt it. I did notice increased scuffing and accelerated wear on the lobes. My $.02, I won't use it any longer because of that.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I understand what you were gatting at now, Dave. Thanks for clarifying it.

Wayne
Old 05-10-2008, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

What are people's thoughts on running BP in a turbo? I am all for it in an N/A motor but am not sure about running it in a turbo. I'm currently running Red Line but have thought about switching. Just not sure about temps the turbo generates.

Todd
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My thoughts are that a full synthetic has a higher flash point than any dino oil so it will be alot less likely to turn to carbon or coke in the extreme heat of the turbo housing.
Partial synthetic means absolutely nothing... it's 100% marketing because they could put one drop of synthetic in a quart of dino oil and call it partial synthetic and what is that supposed to do? BFD.
Even if it was 50% synthetic, the other 50% of dino oil can still turn to coke or carbon...

I'm not a scientist though, but I have had clogged cam spray bars ($$$ ouch>cams and rockers) from carbonized oil particles origonating from the turbo housing so I will only use full synthetic oil.

Because of that you couldn't pay me to use Brad Penn or any dino oil in a 930.
...and I do let it idle for a while after driving it to cool off the turbo housing.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
My thoughts are that a full synthetic has a higher flash point than any dino oil so it will be alot less likely to turn to carbon or coke in the extreme heat of the turbo housing.
Partial synthetic means absolutely nothing... it's 100% marketing because they could put one drop of synthetic in a quart of dino oil and call it partial synthetic and what is that supposed to do? BFD.
Even if it was 50% synthetic, the other 50% of dino oil can still turn to coke or carbon...

I'm not a scientist though, but I have had clogged cam spray bars ($$$ ouch>cams and rockers) from carbonized oil particles origonating from the turbo housing so I will only use full synthetic oil.

Because of that you couldn't pay me to use Brad Penn or any dino oil in a 930.
...and I do let it idle for a while after driving it to cool off the turbo housing.
I guess if we lived in a perfect world, the ideal solution would be to run pure syn oil for the turbo in its own oil circuit. Circulate its oil through its own oil cooler and tank. I guess the savings in using dino oil for the engine versus syn might pay for this mod in what, 10 years?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I called the Porsche dealership and I asked them what oil they'd use in my 930 for an oil change and they said Mobile 1. Yet it isn't on Porsche's approved list but that's what they use? But obviously that's not the best choice.

So JFairman and Werk-I - What oil are you guys using? Not trying to be a smartazz, but I'm lazy. There I said it. I don't want to read pages and pages of debates and opinions, just say it. As Sam Kinison said 'SAY IT, SAY IT'.....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

lol...
Royal Purple is in there now, and I have the Mobil one V twin 20w50 motorcycle oil for the next change.
It's around $8.50/quart at Walmart.

Jim
Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Brad Penn in mine...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-13-2008, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
So JFairman and Werk-I - What oil are you guys using? Not trying to be a smartazz, but I'm lazy. There I said it. I don't want to read pages and pages of debates and opinions, just say it. As Sam Kinison said 'SAY IT, SAY IT'.....
Valvoline Racing VR-1 20-50W. For now, it's working very well, but I have been extremely careful about allowing the turbo to cool down before shutting off the engine. I did try Castrol Syntec Full Syn with a can of Crane Cams Prelube, but the combination of the two did not blend well and the oil became too foamy. Lesson learned; Do not blend additives into your oil!

Eventually, I will be using a synthetic once all this dust settles.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Remember that the original 930 was designed and ran on Dino oil (didn't it?) so it stands to reason that a good grade Dino oil should be ok for the car now, without guaranteed coking the oil.
I think your question regards the reformulation of the modern oils by removing the ZDDP (zinc) protection with negative effects on cam lobes and rockers which is a separate issue from coking which is heat/temp related.
I think it is pretty cost prohibitive to spend 13 quarts at $6.50 a pop for synthetic oil, my bet is run Castrol 20W50 at $2.00 quart and change it more often than you would in a normally aspirated car, let the turbo cool down by running it easy the last few miles before you stop and idle it for a minute or 2 before shuttign down.
Until I see some real testing data posted on the forum of back to back testing on real 930 engines and valve trains, it is all opinion and speculation in my book.
This debate will never end.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
So thanks all for discussing the issue..

One of my concerns was centered around the rubber seals ...

I have read that syn effects the rubber seals which had grown up with Dino oil...

I didnt see anyone who spoke of this concern... does changing a car from Dino to syn really effect the rubber seals?

My car is leak free and I want to ensure it stays that way.
2014 X3 2.8 white
"What goes around comes around..."
Old 05-15-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: