Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 Starting Issue

Hello,

Recently I have noticed a starting issue with my 1987 930. So far so good, as it's always started. Most of the time when I turn the key it starts right away. Lately, ( 1 out of 4 or 5 starts ), It turns over a few times and then starts but sputters like it running out of fuel. If I slowly rev it up a bit it appears to struggle to gain RPM's but it does finally get there and smooths out. I think this is the start of something and don't want to get caught on a road trip somewhere and have it not start at all. Any ideas ?

Robert
Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Question

Does it do it only when it's cold, or no matter what temperature it is? This answer can narrow it down.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
start

Consider dying accumulator and non-checking check valve at outlet of front pump.
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 05-10-2008, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I"m thinking WUR ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
930 Turbo

same thing happened to me. check your exhaust. bracket to my heat exchange came loose. fixed my problem.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Hmm.. A lot of good suggestions. This starting issue appears while warm or hot, but never from dead cold. It sometimes just keeps turning over and finally fires, but sputters like it's running out of fuel for a minute or so. In regards to the "dying" accumulator and non-checking check valve, how can you check these ? What is WUR ?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
I am having a similar problem with my '85 930 except only when cold.
When I start cold, it always gets going after 2-3 seconds of cranking but only when I actually back off the starter. The engine sputters into life at really low revs and then settles down to a normal idle after a few more seconds.
I have jumped the two fuel pump relays (terminals 30 and 87) a few times over the past few days to see what happens and it starts instantaneously so it seems my problem is fuel pressure related - accumulator??
However, what really confuses me is why the tacho needle flickers around at about 4000rpm while the engine is cranking. This seems to point to an electrical glitch.
Anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
when my battery is low it acts like that, it's amazing what the speed of cranking has on the engines ability to start..
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAmand View Post
Hmm.. A lot of good suggestions. This starting issue appears while warm or hot, but never from dead cold. It sometimes just keeps turning over and finally fires, but sputters like it's running out of fuel for a minute or so. In regards to the "dying" accumulator and non-checking check valve, how can you check these ? What is WUR ?

Thanks,
Robert
Warm Up Regulator - fret not I had to ask the same noob Q a few months back.

Telling ya, boot it to the floor while cranking then feather through the misfire when it catches, and Paul's yer buddy 8-). Mine's been perfectly liveable since learning the secret handshake...

Good luck!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My problem has now gotten worse. :-(

While driving around today, my car kept dying. I would go to start it, and it would just crank and crank over. Finally after a minute or two it would start and then either die shortly after, or let me drive it another block or two but die again. Anyone have any ideas ?
Much appreciated....
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Oh you def. gots another issue going on there. I'm guessing FP on way out but I'll let the more edumucated others here guide you more appropriately. Sorry to hear, good luck.

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

It would be a good idea to figure out if you have fuel or ignition problems. I would start with the ignition system.

When you turn on the ignition can you hear the high pitched whine from the CDI unit?

Regards

Steve
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, when the key is on you can hear the CDI, as well as the fuel pumps. But, that is right now. When it happened, all I could think about is getting it moved off of the road. I re-seated the fuel relays and purchased 2 new ones, but haven't installed them yet ( I'm waiting for this to happen again before swapping the relays out ). I would have thought that if one of the relays was removed that the car it would stall. However, this isn't the case. The car will still run, but you have to feather the throttle to keep it going.

I have taken the car out for a couple of short runs and the problem hasn't happened again. I have to admit I'm very nervous at this point to go on a road trip. Where I live I'm on my own as there is virtually no support for these older cars and I'm not a mechanic...
Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: