Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Car dies at stop lights

My car starting to die at stop lights today unless I kept my foot on the throttle a little. I suppose I could adjust my idle up a little but I don't know why all the sudden this started to happen. Any ideas?
50k:Lindren Green:B&B Dual Out Pipes:K27:965 I/C: --SOLD!!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

So you're saying the idle is dropping to the point of shut down? Is it hunting while doing this or is it simply dropping? Does the engine start popping? Try to describe exactly what happens from normal running to shutdown.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's wierd it doesn't happen at every stop but probably happened 4-5 times when I went for a 45 minute ride. It doesn't make any popping noises or surges just idles down till it dies. It is sorta like when you try to shut off a motorcyle or snowmobile by turning on the choke. But if I have my foot on the gas just the slightest it is fine. It never had any problem like this before, so I don;t think that just adjusting the idle screw is the right way to fix it..
Old 05-11-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Sounds like possibly the air meter switch is bad or needs adjustment if that's possible. The switch is there to shut off the fuel pumps in the event of an accident (ignition on but engine off). It opens or closes (I can't remember which) when air is flowing past the meter plate and this lets the pumps run. If you had an accident and the engine shut off there would be no air flow past the meter plate and so the pumps would stop. It seems as if the sensor is sometimes thinking there is no air flow but as you press the accelerator a little it overcomes the open/closed (whichever it is) condition and allows it to keep running.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

sounds like an airleak somewhere. had the same problem with my 3.3t, checked all the hoses but everything was tightened and in good condition. took the intercooler off finally just to discover that the throttle body o-ring was damaged. the car ran flawless while rolling, problem only occured at idle. also noticed that when i touched the throttle just slightly the car wont shut down. raising the idle wont help here at all. check all the hoses and if nothing helps take off the intercooler and inspect the o-ring.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thanks will check that out.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dholling13
Sounds like the infamous orange o-ring that is seated on the throttle body where the intercooler connects.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cool I have a new spare of that one too I can check with.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Sounds like possibly the air meter switch is bad or needs adjustment if that's possible. The switch is there to shut off the fuel pumps in the event of an accident (ignition on but engine off). It opens or closes (I can't remember which) when air is flowing past the meter plate and this lets the pumps run. If you had an accident and the engine shut off there would be no air flow past the meter plate and so the pumps would stop. It seems as if the sensor is sometimes thinking there is no air flow but as you press the accelerator a little it overcomes the open/closed (whichever it is) condition and allows it to keep running.

Ok Update took the intercooler on and off to check the oring. Still having the problem. It does not do it when its cold on after it is warmed up, also it won't do it in gear. It dies when I push in the clutch coming to a stop sign only it seems. Any other ideas? Can I check that air flow switch some how?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I wonder if it's possible that your WUR (Warm Up Regulator) is out of spec? There is a spec for the cold pressure, the warm pressure, and full thottle enrichment pressure. I wonder if the warm pressure is out of wack? You would need a CIS pressure gauge to check it...the gauge is good to have anyway.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

sandman, thanks for the idea. i will try to get a cis gauge so i can check that
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Update-

Today I put on a new orange o ring even though I thought the one I have on was good. Started car, let idle for 5-10 mins and it was fine. Took it for a drive and it seemed good, thought it was fixed, then it started happening again when I got off the freeway. Pushed the clutch in to downshift on the off ramp and it died. Also I noticed that the ecu box underneath the seat clicks at the moment or right before it dies. When I got home I let it idle in nuetral for a bit and it was ok, little lower idle rpm then i remember it having before but it didn't die out right away like when I put the clutch in to stop. I wasn't able to find cis gauge today.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

You don't have an ECU in your car, I believe that is the O2 sensor module.

--clutch-monkey
Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The Lambda/O2 loop functions only at idle. This could be your culprit.
An off-spec lean idle would cause the engine to die.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The Lambda/O2 loop functions only at idle. This could be your culprit.
An off-spec lean idle would cause the engine to die.
So are you saying that 02 electric box could be bad? I didnt even think my car had a 02 sensor, i will have to go look.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: