Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Hey Yasin-

An interesting point you make there. I keep finding myself being tempted by those feelings of "regret" regarding buying a clean stocker when for what seems to be near to the same $ I couldashouldawoulda gotten someone else's abandoned build up and been wayway ahead of the game.

Everytime I feel those thoughts tho I try to remind mesself the inevitable realities of those situations. First is, building your own "whatever" is just that - your OWN. More importantly tho, remember why someone would build one up - to beat the bag out of. A clean stocker's more assured to be, well, clean.

DIY'ing your own ensures you'll have what you want the way you want it and that it'll be solid and fresh. No unanswered questions, finding things done weird (like that I/C install ^here^), you'll have all the OE parts to hold on to, etc.

Just my useless $0.02.

Agreed on the color here - could live with Purple Haze exterior but the interior is barfinducingly treacherous - *RALPH*.

Good luck...
I think we all are going to kick ourselves a little for buying a 930 when the market was at it's peak, but I thought about this a lot and what I believe is that I probably would not have the guts to buy a 930 in this current economy, so it is better that I just went ahead and got one when I did. If I had 30K just waiting to be spent nowadays, I would be seriously considering an economy vehicle as a second car, not a gas guzzler. It is clear that gas can hit $5 in the blink of an eye.

Gas is VERY VERY underpriced right now compared to a barrel of oil. EXTREMELY underpriced. In fact, contrary to what certain clueless politicians will claim, gas refiners are losing a huge amount of money right now because their cost of oil is huge and their profit on gasoline is next to nothing. This can ONLY mean higher gas prices to come.

Anyway, I bought a 930 when I was feeling good about the economy and now I don't feel good about the economy. I am doing fine, but at some point we are all in this together.

Furthermore, I bought a 930 which is spotless clean, no rust, nothing in the car overlooked. It may not turn out to be the best 930 deal out there but it feels like MINE. So I still like mine even if there are a ton of deals out there with more to hit the market as soon as gas sets some new all time records.

Timing is everything.

I don't believe that anybody is going to buy this purple car anytime soon.

Last edited by DDDD; 05-12-2008 at 11:00 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Yasin,

I too looked at this car some time ago. My 930 was mothballed and I began to get the itch! It's been for sale for roughly two years or so now. The color combo would surely take some getting used to. Frankly, I like the exterior but the interior I think would be pretty hot in grey!

Oddly enough I have a friend who passed away, that had recently restored his 86 930 and in doing so went with this exact color combo. His car was done to a full concours level however and I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to tell that it was not original color. It's got the grunt too as it has a 600hp twin turbo motor in it w/coil-overs and on & on. This color I understand was a special order supposedly available in Europe only.

BTW, the color is called Amethyst. And his car is also still for sale... his widow wants too much for the car, although it is very well thought-out and is in true pristine condition!

Anyway, I think this car hasn't sold for a number of reasons as many have mentioned...

- It's a bit tatty and rough around the edges.
- It's obvious what it was used for question is how well was it maintained?
- Again, the color combo is a bit tough on the eyes..
- Lot's of people are scared of buying someone else's modded Turbo, regardless of who did the build.
- They're asking a lot of money for a car that leaves a lot of unanswered questions in a down market..

Agree also where someone mentioned about the $100k build.. don't fool yourself, it's not unheard of! Big hp numbers equal big cash outlay!! A lot depends on who did the work and who supplied all the parts and weather this guy just opened his check book and paid full retail!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 05-12-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Put it on EBay with NO RESERVE. Let the market tell you what it's worth. You've heard what informed buyers think its worth short of investing more time and money into it.

I'll start the bidding right now - I'll give you $20K.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The amount of money spent on a build means very little.
You've heard of the P-tax. Overinflated parts costs and huge labor bills are little more than bragging rights for some. May not apply in this case but as a buyer that is what I would assume after seeing this shaggy looking engine.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Guys – I really enjoyed reading your replies and feedback. All of you make great points. Strangely enough I totally totally missed the huge hunk ,missing from the right side engine opening until I took another closer look. That *REALLY* does spoil it for me and makes the car look pi$$ poor. The paint flaking off the intercooler I could live with, (even the sorry engine pad) and I could do some amazing things with that intercooler if it were in my possession including re-tigging that inlet so it did not hit the car.

The interior is definitely KRAZEEEE and unique and time would be the one to tell if you could live with it or find it hideous. Converting the interior to black or saddle (my favorite P-car interior) would be big $$$.

I am surprised (and disappointed) that as long as Park Place has had this car (more than 1 year), they did not give the car more curb appeal by smoothing that engine opening that had been butchered and color-matched it and also polishing or anodizing that intercooler.

I am sure that the car has $100K in receipts…it adds up quickly:
EFI - $10,000
Bob Halcomb Headers - $3,500-$4,000
Two brand new turbos - $2,500
Custom Halcomb Intercooler - $3,000
Forged Pistons & Rods - $5,000
Starting with a 3.6L motor - $8,000 (used)
You are already accelerating (pardon the pun!) on $35K with ease and you have not even considered the build time, machining, assembly etc etc

Anyway great discussion and contributions by all. Who knows what this car’s destiny is…we’ll see as this is a small community.

In the meantime where are my keys…its 80F outside and I have not driven my car in 6weeks!

Ciao – Yasin

P.S: Paul I remember your buddy’s purple 930 that his widow is trying to sell. Amazing car but asking a high price, really needs to be the perfect buyer for that beast, with deep pockets.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

That car at that price is a gift and to niggle about the small stuff is silly for what you`re getting.lf it was silver you could add another $10,000.00 on the price and nobody would blink. The interior could be changed out easily if the eggplant gets to you but it`s a babe magnet the way it sits..
Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Yasin,

I agree with you about my buddy's 930. Such a shame for that car to sit, although it does get started and/or driven at least once a month or so.

Shoud be interesting to see what happens to both these cars over the long haul.

Enjoy your drive!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The most sensible thing to do with this car is just go ahead and strip it down to race. Then you can chuck the interior, lighten the car up a bit and not worry about the paint job or the physically assaulted engine compartment. Need fit? Use crowbar.

However, a lot of weekend racers are likely to start with a cheaper car, I would think?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

P.S: Paul I remember your buddy’s purple 930 that his widow is trying to sell. Amazing car but asking a high price, really needs to be the perfect buyer for that beast, with deep pockets.[/QUOTE]

Can you email me some info on this car and some pictures?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
P.S: Paul I remember your buddy’s purple 930 that his widow is trying to sell. Amazing car but asking a high price, really needs to be the perfect buyer for that beast, with deep pockets.

Can you email me some info on this car and some pictures?[/QUOTE]

Rory,

Will email you some info & pics later tonight when I can access.

Paul
RGruppe #180
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Here is Paul's buddy's car...it is amazing (understatement)..

FS: Modified 1986 930 Twin Turbo

Yasin
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

"...now THAT is what I'm talkin' 'bout! The Artist says he wouldn't kick that one out of bed for eating crackers! Hell I might even leave my Trojans off for this beast..."

Seriously, that is insane!!! Much better!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Large Member

Garage
GrrrAPE APE GrrAPE APE

8-)

Dude *seriously* liked purple. Wow.

Crazy build! Interesting coil pack placement.

Ida mebbe gone in a different direction than the grapefruit shooter exhaust sticking out sideways tho heh heh. Listen to me critiquing that gem - OK STFU'ing here now! 8-)

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Yasin.. that would be the Purple People Eater alright! I was looking for that post but somehow couldn't find it... thanks!

sand_man: You are too funny dude! I wouldn't kick that thang outta bed either.. but I don't go no-where without my "jim-hat!"

krasuskyp: I'm with ya, I never did like the exhaust either.. if you look closely, you can see where it begins to split to mate to each housing. It was quiet and that's what he was looking for, though if he was still around I'm sure he'd had changed it or something by now.

- Again, color is factory Porsche Euro option Amethyst

- Front spoiler is DP,,

-Custom "cat-eye" painted headlight covers are removable.. has fact H4s underneath.

- coil pack placement was because he wanted it away from the engine heat etc..

- Car has Electromotive Tec lll EFI.. mainley because it was relatively easy to use.. He was more than ready/capable of buying Motec if the TEC lll wasn't up to the job.

- Side windows are plexi w/Naca ducts that feed air to the filters/engine comp

- Turbos are a custom/specific build for this car by Turbonetics waste gates from them too..

- Headers/HEs are by Kenny McNiel.. the same guy who prototyped GHL, and the brand that looks similar to GHL

- Interior is all leather.. including the padding on the cage..

- If you look closely at the engine case you'll see t's polished.. it's that shiney on the inside too!

- Shuffle pinned, boat tailed, oil pump mod, crank oiling mod (drilled), coated pistons on tops and sides, Carrello, raceware etc.. and on and on...

** If I recall correctly the car only has roughly 6k miles on it and since the build..

Yeah, I know.. it's over the top... but it runs like a raped Grape Ape!!!
RGruppe #180
Old 05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Me like track days

Geez, enough guessing The car is right by my home.
I've checked it out last year, read everything on the car. 1" thick folder.

Paint and interior are in nice shape
Engine build is 100% function, not beauty Things are very well done, just not beautified.
49K is a decent buy for what this beast is.
740+ "RWHP"......no. This is flywheel HP. Not that it isn't enough or anything......
Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Me like track days

Thread on this car:
739 RWHP! 965
Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
How come, after viewing that car, I somehow feel like chewing bubble gum?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: