Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

For A Split Second Considered This Car...Your Thoughts? Pics!

Guys - I have been tracking this car on and off for the past 1+ year. I finally called Park Place in Bellvue, WA and spoke to them, very friendly and courteous. The car only has one previous owner who sadly died of Leukemia and Park Place is handling the sale of this person's car collection. He ordered the car with the Purple on Purple special colors, which really to me does not bother me too badly, but it is certainly an acquired taste.

The car was built by Bob Halcomb and there is over $100,000 in receipts that come with the car, so the car has been well built, it has 2K miles on the new high dollar build.

The car is as quick as a Carrera GT according to Park Place, and is one of the fastest cars they have had in their possession, nothing from Lamborghini can even touch it. They mentioned that this car is not a "take your lady to dinner" car, strictly drive it to the track blow everything away and drive it back home - NOT really "a street car". Car has a welded in 1/2 cage, and comes with the factory purple leather seats, another set of wheels and a bunch of spare parts.

740WHP is a sexxy amount of horsepower..evil grin! For the street on pump gas it would have to be dialed back and the springs on the coilovers changes to a softer rate for the street.

They are asking $49,900K which is a good deal considering the amount of $$$ spent on it, this is their lowest price they can go. They had it for sale a year ago for $70K. I am with the affluence on the West coast, that someone has not scooped it up?

So what do your fellas think?

To some degree I regret buying my bone stock but very clean '89 as the price of upgrades has been a slippery slope but definitely a good learning tool for working on the car. If I was in the market today, I would have bought a car where someone has spent the big $$ on the upgrades and the car tastefully and carefully modified - sounds like a vulture approach but that is the reality of this hobby.

Regards - Yasin
Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Yasin,

That car was listed on e-bay maybe a couple of months ago and somebody linked either the e-bay page or Park Place's web page on this forum with a couple of pictures. We thought at the time that maybe somebody could buy it for about
$45k or less. Guess we were wrong based upon your discussion with Park Place.

While I like the exterior color, I don't think I could handle the interior without getting it changed over to black or something else that corresponds a little less wildly with the exterior. I think the general consensus on this forum was pretty much the same as mine with many people dissenting on the exterior color, as well.

I think it's a pretty cool car, though. What do you think of the interior color? Good luck!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Exterior yes. Interior no.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've been watching that car for some time as well, simply out of curiosity.
The drivetrain and body are nice, the color combo is atrocious.
If the car is not streetable they need to get rid of the interior and complete the build. I would go the other way with it and bring it back to street. Changing out the dash is a major pain but that interior color would have to go.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
There's a whole discussion in these pages somewhere...can't remember who posted....maybe Craig?????
Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I rmember this car...Purple Haze All through my Brain! or maybe.....Purple Rain...Purple Rain....

Ok if you're a huge Hendrix fan I suppose, or maybe the wife likes Prince????

Honestly, the color wouldn't stop me, new rugs are a must IMHO. As others have said the puple exterior is fine, but the interior is a lil'...Pimp Daddy. Seriously it wouldn't be much coin to get some black RS door panels, a rug and a dash cap. That would leave it only with purple accents. Seems like I could deal with it after some pretty easy and inexpensive changes.
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

When you put foot will you time to be looking at the interior colour? After driving it awhile it will probably grow on you and then if you like it who cares what others think. If you get hassled you race for pinks, besides the interior would deserve a place of honour in the interior thread - no one has posted it there yet. I guess that honour is being left for the new owner!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There is a reason it has not sold, maby many reasons. The engine bay scares me a little as well. The sound deadening is falling down, the intercooler is all scratched up and the install looks like a hack job carving up to fit the intercooler.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Over on Rennlist someone put eyeballs on this car and said it was "cosmetically challenged" as in rough paint and interior.
If there's one thing I hate it's cloth racing buckets in a leather interior and nothing matches.
Dane was also considering this car a few months ago but decided it was too risky from a financial standpoint, I believe.
IMO, Jeffery Harrison's coral red 964 would be a more sensible buy for most as it has far less than 750 hp with which one could hurt themselves with.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Mechanical prowess? She *potentially* has it it all! I just can't get beyond the APPALLING color...thumbs down for me... WTF?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-11-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I have to agree with Rarly (Brian), the engine compartment alone is no where near the level of a $30K 930.
I look at it and assume the car was terribly abused and possibly the claims are only that.
So what is the value of an organized stack of 930 performance parts? It has no factory race pedigree. This one should be stripped down and sold in pieces.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Good gosh, look at how instead of properly fitting the intercooler piping they hacked up the body of the car on the right. That is beyond "shotty" work and no doubt the rest of the car was built along those lines.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP View Post
Good gosh, look at how instead of properly fitting the intercooler piping they hacked up the body of the car on the right. That is beyond "shotty" work and no doubt the rest of the car was built along those lines.
GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Turbo 13b guy

Yeah at first glance its stunning but for 50k, that engine bay is horrible. Anodize the IC or something. Why did they notch the car to fit the piping? Seem half thought out.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

"...I'd hit if there was more room for my Signature Axe..."

Last edited by sand_man; 05-12-2008 at 06:16 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
To some degree I regret buying my bone stock but very clean '89 as the price of upgrades has been a slippery slope but definitely a good learning tool for working on the car. If I was in the market today, I would have bought a car where someone has spent the big $$ on the upgrades and the car tastefully and carefully modified - sounds like a vulture approach but that is the reality of this hobby.
Hey Yasin-

An interesting point you make there. I keep finding myself being tempted by those feelings of "regret" regarding buying a clean stocker when for what seems to be near to the same $ I couldashouldawoulda gotten someone else's abandoned build up and been wayway ahead of the game.

Everytime I feel those thoughts tho I try to remind mesself the inevitable realities of those situations. First is, building your own "whatever" is just that - your OWN. More importantly tho, remember why someone would build one up - to beat the bag out of. A clean stocker's more assured to be, well, clean.

DIY'ing your own ensures you'll have what you want the way you want it and that it'll be solid and fresh. No unanswered questions, finding things done weird (like that I/C install ^here^), you'll have all the OE parts to hold on to, etc.

Just my useless $0.02.

Agreed on the color here - could live with Purple Haze exterior but the interior is barfinducingly treacherous - *RALPH*.

Good luck...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 05-12-2008 at 07:33 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm sure it's fast, but there's no way they spent $100k on it.

If someone cames in to my shop looking to drop that kind of money, well I would chain the customer to the floor before I let them leave with the engine bay looking that way. Chipped intercooler and the badly deteriorating sound pad would have been FIXED.

A $3000 engine build you would cutout the body. Someone capable of a $100k build would certainly have the skills and imagination to do a little TIG welding on the intercooler pipe rather than taking a hack saw to the car! Not only that but I would bet they'd have too much pride to let that put of their shop that way.
1996 993 RS Replica
2008 Yamaha R6
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Looks aside, assuming the 740rwhp is true I actually don't think the $100,000 spent claim is impossible (if it includes the cost of the car plus modifications), in fact it probably is accurate. I am basing this assumption on expenditures I have had with my own car when doing some modifications on it. And I don't have anywhere near 740rwhp.

My concern with this car would be the maintenance cost of it. My guess is that this car is the local race shops dream come true since it would most likely be there very often after track events. My local race shop has cars like that, 850rwhp, 760rwhp etc., several really high power cars, and they always appear there after some race - always the same cars. In fact I think that's how these guys stay in business.

As I mentioned on RL, I'd keep the one you have, you have a beautiful car. If you have the extra $$$ , add a nice dual purpose DD/ Track car like a 996TT to your garage.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am all for a nice modded 930, as long as it is a solid and reliable street car as well. Just not wealthy enough to afford the high end maintenance needs and costs of a highly modified track car.

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51

Last edited by oms930; 05-12-2008 at 07:21 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If I had the money to burn I would buy it, I think the exterior color is beautiful. The interior is odd, (chocolate, saddle brown, or black leather would look far better) but it's so tacky and obnoxious I love it!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Have to agree with ZLP. IF the Patent defects are so obvious what about the Latent ones.

I am surprised that Porsche would even allow that interior to be made! THats why it has 750hp so no one can catch it and look inside.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: