Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
On Board Fire System

I started installing a fire system in my car this weekend, even though i have a hand held
extinguisher in the car, i felt i was cheap insurance if my car ever did have a fire.
To much time and $ spent to stand there and watch it burn to death if the engine ever caught on fire. I at least want to have a good chance of saving it.

I have an ignition cutoff switch on the dash and will put a fuel pump switch in also.

Anyone else put in an on board fire system in there car.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400

Last edited by iamchappy; 05-19-2008 at 05:01 AM..
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think this is a great idea. Looks like you did a really nice job installing the system. What gas did you end up using? I was looking at a few systems and couldn't decide whether to go with halon or that other new gas (can't remember the name now).
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I went with the AFFF foam, I have 6 nozzles to position, I have 1 thats going under the fuel tank directed at the fitting and lines going down the center tunnel of the car. 2 will be under the engine
and 3 on top directed at the pump, filter and accumulator and the fuel distributor and WUR.
I have the handheld which is Halon that i could use in the cabin if need be. I think i would rather blast my interior full of Halon over foam.

With our fuel pressures exceeding 100 psi you never know when something could spring a leak.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Excellant idea, how much did it cost and how long to install it ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It was $300 and i am working on it right now, i dont think it will take more than a few hours to install it.
I purchased the Spa unit but i may have wished to go with the ESS
system which is easily refillable and looks to be a better quality unit.
http://www.*****************.com/product_p/essfire-2.3-liter-kit.htm

I purchased it at Pegasus:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/advcat.asp?CategoryID=FIRESYSTEMS

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

What locations/how many do the exit nozzles dump to?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Me like track days

Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
I went with the AFFF foam, I have 6 nozzles to position, I have 1 thats going under the fuel tank directed at the fitting and lines going down the center tunnel of the car. 2 will be under the engine
and 3 on top directed at the pump, filter and accumulator and the fuel distributor and WUR.
I have the handheld which is Halon that i could use in the cabin if need be. I think i would rather blast my interior full of Halon over foam.

With our fuel pressures exceeding 100 psi you never know when something could spring a leak.

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Remember

I was really concerned about fire also, I just installed a Safecraft 10lb. Halon, one nozzle in the passenger compartment and two in the motor, one on each side.
I ran aluminum hard lines inside the tunnel all the way to each nozzle, the braided steel lines go to bulkhead adapters that are attached to the hard lines.
Here's a few pics.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The more heads you have, the faster its's going to empty. I would think about one nozzle in the engine bay, one in the front trunk at the gas tank and one in the passenger compartment. Or two in the engine compartment and one in the front trunk at the gas tank.

BTW. Lets see more pics of the car. The orange looks good.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It is a large and heavy (15LBS) 4L bottle that is designed to support 6 nozzles.
I wish my system ran 4AN fittings, The Spa system uses a decarbon tubing a sort of plastic coated aluminum tubing, with these cheesy pushon fittings and nozzles. Does not look very professional or heavy duty. Spa fire systems are rated high which surprises me considering their plumbing. I guess we shall see. Your Safecraft Halon system looks very nice.

Pictures of the car here:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=409227&referrerid=25537

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Beautiful car!

My 4L SPA system came with three heads. I suppose each mfg has their own ideas of what they can support. I was kind of surprised with the SPA fittings as well, but it was easy to install.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well done, Chap. I need to rig up something like that, as the peace of mind is priceless. i installed one for our Carrera Panamerica car last year, and i really wasnt that difficult. Chap, you car looks fantastic!! Get that puppy on the road!!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Well i have the system in, i ran out of cable clamps and i will have to wait till the engine is in to figure exactly where to aim the nozzles. I plan on making some light weight nozzle support brackets to finish it off.
I placed 3 nozzles on top and 2 on the bottom. I have one left that could go under the fuel tank at the fittings, but i may not use it.
I put some pressure on the shop to get the engine back together, i will now be a pest about it because i have seen this play out before, when the racing season starts the engine wont get done till October, they have already started racing the past two weekends. Once more he said it should be done in the next two weeks( he started telling me this in February).
My dash is full i am done with things to switch on and off. I have under the covered switches from left to right- LC-1 AF/R calibration button, tranny cooler pump, intercooler fans, boost retard, ignition kill, and fuel pump.

The pushon fittings and tubing worked smoothly and did make things very simple.

I hope i never have to use it, but glad it's there if i ever do

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Chappy:
That's the same setup I have in the 914 race tub. I have the smaller bottle, mounted where the glove compartment was. Three nozzles: fuel tank, between the seats and engine compartment.

As I set the 911 on fire three times last year (two welding, one turbo overflow issue), one can never have enough fire extinguisher!

Hope you never use it

Pat
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
This is something I would like to add to my 930.

Did you work out how long the system would work for with that size bottle and that many nozzles guys?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
The manufacturer will need to chime in for that info. I guess i'll know if i ever have to pull the handle.

Nathan, Spa is manufactured in the UK maybe worth a call to find out, let us know.....

87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: