Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Launching a 930

I have been driving my 930 for a few weeks now and I'm having a great time so far.

I have gotten used to most of the quirks in the car but I can't seem to figure out a good method for a spirited launch from a dead stop. My clutch is a pretty smooth but I either seem to bog off the line or slip the clutch. I'm not looking to leave the light in a fury of tiresmoke but I would be nice to know that if something formidable lines up next to me that I'm not left waiting at the line, as it is now minivans get me up to about 15mph and then I go ripping by when the boost comes in.

Do you folks have any tips or is this just another side effect from the odd layout of our cars?

Clutch type and condition is unknown but it seems healthy, rear tires are 315-35-17.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
My fail safe method is to sneek up on them on the HWY at around 70 mph, then toast them all the way to 140 mph... NEVER smoke the tires our machines just aren't made for it.. Plus I hate the smell of burning clutch
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
My fail safe method is to sneek up on them on the HWY at around 70 mph, then toast them all the way to 140 mph... NEVER smoke the tires our machines just aren't made for it.. Plus I hate the smell of burning clutch

That is too funny!

76 911S
81 911SC
66 912 V8
70 914
930 project car
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
In Detroit, I like to sneak up on them at 140mph and smoke them all the way to 165mph!
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I like that I'm slow off the line. Makes em think they are going to beat a Porsche 911 turbo. Then the boost kicks in and their smile moves to my face as I easily blow on by.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Pretty much what I figured, I have toyed around a little bit but my wallet isn't fat enough for a full on side step of the clutch at 4500rpm. I guess I'll just have to get them from a roll.

What got me thinking about this is when I was at a friends house the other day and one of my antagonist buddies was trying to get myself, a '99 Carrera C4, and an EVO IX to run, all I could think to myself was "these guys are going to roast me off the line, but wait till I hit second gear!" it never happened so that day is still to come.

One other quick question, do you guys fall out of boost between 1st and 2nd gear? I usually shift around 6100rpm and there is a little delay before the boost hits again in second, is this normal?

I have a 4-speed.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I like that I'm slow off the line. Makes em think they are going to beat a Porsche 911 turbo. Then the boost kicks in and their smile moves to my face as I easily blow on by.
How I do it, too! Another fave is to time the wastegate opening as you are cruising by an open window or a convertible with the top down!!! Scares the brown out of 'em!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Pretty much what I figured, I have toyed around a little bit but my wallet isn't fat enough for a full on side step of the clutch at 4500rpm. I guess I'll just have to get them from a roll.

What got me thinking about this is when I was at a friends house the other day and one of my antagonist buddies was trying to get myself, a '99 Carrera C4, and an EVO IX to run, all I could think to myself was "these guys are going to roast me off the line, but wait till I hit second gear!" it never happened so that day is still to come.

One other quick question, do you guys fall out of boost between 1st and 2nd gear? I usually shift around 6100rpm and there is a little delay before the boost hits again in second, is this normal?

I have a 4-speed.
Yes it drops out slightly, but it is less of an issue if you upgrade the turbo to a K27 or K27s and some headers.
These cars are not drag cars, the typical yahoo in Detroit with his muscle car mentality thinks he is so cool when he smokes you from a dead stop. BFD....avoid those situations if possible, it is better for your ego and your wallet. Plus shifting the Porsche tranny takes time and you will loose ground between shifts too.
Now get him on your own turf like a race track or the highway where you have some boost already on tap and make him cry. That is if he shows up there.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

930 Clutch's are expensive. Slow off the line let the boost do the work. The clutch smell= $$$.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Yep...nice and slow with the 4-speed! You gotta have "the feel"...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Just say "NO" to ham-fisted shifting!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Personally, I don't like wheel hop. You can brake an arm/axel. Not worth it. Just be in 2nd gear in a roll and your good to go....Forget about 1st, waste of time...
Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You can combat wheel hop with stiffer shocks and/or t-bars.

There are many ways to reduce the off-line bog, none of them cheap.
- Install a lower gear R&P
- Install lower gears in the 4spd
- Add headers, replace turbo, and tune tune tune.
- Go EFI and tune tune tune.

and my personal favorite for those under 350HP:
- swap the V8 truck tranny for a 915.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Have done it.....converted my 82sc into 3.3turbo & building up the 915. tranny. Still got wheel hop. I still say its not worth it.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

you've bought the wrong car if you want to drag race off the line, nothing about our cars is designed for that type of driving, (clutch, turbo, trany).
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

You can lessen the turbo lag when shifting to 2nd gear by switching to a C2 blow off/recirculation valve and the big rubber elbow hose with a boss molded into it for mounting the new diverter valve.

It reacts faster than the stock one and if you get rid of the intermediate manifold and use a long neck intercooler or fab a spacer to use with a shortneck one there's a little less air volume to compress to rebuild boost pressure.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Drag starts are hard on things, no doubt about that.
The goal is to get the car off the line without abusing the clutch and then stick it. For that to work you need low gears and optimal throttle response.

My SC had wheel hop as well which cost me a tranny at the drag strip. You can eleminate that problem with the right shocks and springs. The problem then becomes wheel spin and over-revving the engine. Choose your poison.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
If you wanna drag race, buy a Ford Rustang, abuse it and then throw it away.
Repeat as necessary.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Drag starts are hard on things, no doubt about that.
The goal is to get the car off the line without abusing the clutch and then stick it. For that to work you need low gears and optimal throttle response.

My SC had wheel hop as well which cost me a tranny at the drag strip. You can eleminate that problem with the right shocks and springs. The problem then becomes wheel spin and over-revving the engine. Choose your poison.
so just for the record Bryan,, how long did it take you to give up the drag strip habit ?? LOL
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
Might be time to replace your BOV. The POS one that came from the factory has the life expectancy of a humming bird. When operating properly, when the butterfly on the TB shuts the BOV vents the intake between the TB and the compressor and allows the turbo to freewheel with no resistance. End result is that your able to get back into the boost sooner.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: