Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Infidel

There is a far easier way of getting your pumps running without bridging relays etc. If you reach behind the fuel head there is a wire going to it, disconnect this and your fuel pumps will run with the ignition on. (If your pumps run anyway with the ignition on then now you know why)
Be sure to reconnect it because if you crash and your engine cuts out, your fuel pumps will still be running, if you've broken a fuel line in the crash then the rest is up to your imagination.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

hey jbl930, the pumps work just turning the key, behind the head there is a connector with a green plug it is plugged....not sure of which wire you are refering to but I see no other wires...I completely understand the idea. I assume it would also help not dump endless amounts of fuel while the engine is running normally...right
thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

ok...just spoke to witchhunter, and although they do not clean the bosch cis anymore, He was VERY helpful, and as Alan and others said the injectors should crack open at 45-50psi....mine are high 70's...no good.

so as it seems my flow is great, it is most probably the injectors....I will order some and chime back in if/when she starts....

Last edited by 930cabrioboy; 06-03-2008 at 08:34 AM..
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabrioboy View Post
hey jbl930, the pumps work just turning the key, behind the head there is a connector with a green plug it is plugged....not sure of which wire you are refering to but I see no other wires...I completely understand the idea. I assume it would also help not dump endless amounts of fuel while the engine is running normally...right
thanks
Not sure what colour the connector is, all i know is when you turn the key and air starts moving over the metering plate, the sensor that wire conects to allows the pumps to start running. If your pumps are running just with the key turned on then you have a bad sensor or possibly dodgy wiring to it.
It's dangerous to have the pumps running without the engine running in case you have an accident and you rupture a fuel line.
Having the pumps running without the engine running isn't pumping fuel into the engine as no air is moving over the plate, it's just a bad idea to keep it this way for reasons i have already stated. I picked my car up once from a service and wondered why the pumps ran as soon as i turned the key, i took it back and it took two seconds for them to reach behind and reconnect the lead and all was fine.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

There is a green plug at the back RH corner of the sensor plate area - your finger was pointing to it in an earlier pic. That controls the switch on the air plate that kicks the pump relays in - WHEN you engage the starter motor and it sucks air past the plate.
As stated by JBL - they should not be working with the key just turned to ON.
Mine were like that too - someone had hotwired the relay in the engine bay.
If you can see the socket, but no wire/plug, stick your hand down the back and feel around. There will be a loose harness/green plug somewhere down there.
Alan
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: