Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

EGT's

I've seen it posted many times, that observing the EGT's is an important part of the tuning process.

What are the temperatures we need to stay within?
What does a typical EGT curve look like?
What does a common lousy EGT curve look like?

Thanks....
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Most important stuff in my book is keeping AFR in check while running recomended ignition timing. That usually keeps EGT's within margins per definition.

It's when you start fiddling with EFI (by delaying ignition to spool turbo, anti-lag and like) that monitoring EGT's comes handy. 930 headers are long so they keep EGT's at turbo low. It's hard to say what EGT's are OK as it varies from turbo to turbo and depends on how long headers you run but I personally wouldn't dare run hotter than ~870-ish deg. C at head exhaust port, aircooled heads and all.

Actually, I wouldn't run heads hotter than 220 deg. C (alloy goes soft) and TIT much more than 870 deg. C. (those old turbos usually don't like it).

There are OEM cars that run 950 deg. C TIT but they are watercooled (both turbo and heads).

But generally, I find AFR's and ingition first priority. EGT's usually take care of themseves with typical plain-vanilla 930 compontent (OEM headers, CIS, 0.7-1.0 bar of boost etc.)

If you start doing custom work and piling up the power, EGT might be worth looking at.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

My EGT's, as measured on an engine dyno during break in and initial tuning, were 1475 F, 6200 rpm, 12.0 - 12.2 AFR. That was measured about 2" from the exhaust port on all 6 holes on my EFI conversion.

I don't think tuning these cars with an EGT (even as a reference) is all that helpful. AFR's and torque (timing) on the dyno are more effective.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Thanks guys, that's the info I was looking for.

If anyone else wants to add anything......
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: