Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

updating rear suspension

i would like some input on what brand spring plate bushings and trailing arm bushings i should use for my turbo that i use on the street only but drive to and from work on windy road usually as fast as traffic will permit. i am going to try this project myself...the front end rebuild cost me a fortune...i used hd bilsteins on front ...sports werent available at the time ...can i use sports on the rear? thanx in advance....kevin
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
'89 930

Hey Kevin,
I believe your options are somewhat limited on the rear for bushings for a street only ride. The spring plate bushing replacements are available in the neatrix bushing and the Elephant Racing polybronze, both of which don't squeak. There is also a poly-graphite bushing, but they may be hard to fit-up and typically squeak. The neatrix are inexpensive and closer to the original rubber you are replacing. If you are doing it yourself, you should probably invest in the polybronze, and perhaps the ER adjustable spring plate, which will make installation easier especially when indexing them to your torsion bar and setting ride height. A torsion bar upgrade may also be a good decision. You might want to call Chuck over at Elephant and look at his site or review his applications. Or, of course, do your searches, tons of material here on all of these issues.

I am going thru the same process, but I have opted to do the coil overs, which replaces the shocks and torsion bars at the same time. Different spring rates are easy and cheap to buy different springs (revalving may be another question) and adjusting ride height is also made easy. As far as your application, I think sports in the rear would be fine, you can mix and match the rears vs. the fronts as long as they match side to side. And I think HD's are the same thing as sports. Maybe someone else could chime in here.

just my $.02, good luck with it/ Tony

Last edited by 1topcat; 05-23-2008 at 05:21 AM..
Old 05-23-2008, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
HD and Sport shocks are not the same. IIRC the sports are stiffer and are for stiffer springs/bars.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Tony, are you reinforcing the shock towers for coil overs?
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
suspension upgrades

My .02 cents worth;

Started with a stock '83 Euro 930, then went with poly-graphite bushings front & rear, 23mm/31mm hollow torsion bars, sport bilsteins front & rear, 22mm front & rear Tarret adj. sways, wevo weld-on rear sway bar mounts, front strut brace, wevo semi-solid rear motor mounts, lowered the car 2" below Euro spec.
Still has stock rear spring plates.
I drive the car on the street and it...IS...my daily driver.
Yes, the bushings squeak a little when you are just barely rolling over bumps, other than that I can't hear them.
Yes, the ride is stiff, and I do avoid as many bumps and dips as I can, but overall it is tolerable. the trade off for when the long skinny pedal is mashed makes up for it!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sexy car...you are in the weeds man.

JP
89 targa black betty
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Full quack = great stance!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Full Quack, I see your specs above and Im curious how does it handle. I have tortion front and coil over rear, Im not quite that low and my I noticed my car to be much heavier steering as it went lower in the front end.

Last edited by Gumba11; 05-29-2008 at 01:06 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

HD front/Sport rear is a great combination.
PB bushings too -
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Chris, did your steering get heavier due to more camber when it got lowered?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Nathan,
Did you compensate the lowering of the front end with a bump steer modification? I lowered the front on mine plus wider tires. The steering effort did go up because of that. Adding a bump steer mod did cut down on the turning effort, but it is still higher because of the tire widths.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-01-2008, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
'87 3.4 930

fill quack, sweet stance. What size wheels and tires are you running? Did you roll the fender lips. Hats off to a fellow daily driver.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have the Weltmeister adj. spring plates on, they come with the harder "plastic" bushings. Supposedly better handling (less mush) but noise. I have heard no noise however. My meachanic is a fanatic fitting things. If it is a lil' tight he's in there w/ sandpaper and if it is loose...back to the manufacturer. I think this is why my entire suspension is relatively quiet, proper fitting.

I avoided Weltmeister for my sways and some other stuff, but the spring plate/bushing combo is fine and reasonably priced. They also sell just the bushings.

http://www.weltmeister.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=372

1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 06-01-2008 at 06:46 AM..
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Gumball & drvinc,
I did fail to note in my parts added list, that I also installed a full tie-rod end "RSR" Brand bump steer kit. Just adding spacers to the rack would not have been any where near enough compensation for how low I put the car.
My only complaint with handling is that the car is a little twitchy between 85-115mph, tends to really want to follow side-to-side undulations in the road surface. Above 115 or below 85 not so much of an issue. As far as heavy steering effort is concerned, with the Tarret sway bars, I can adjust the feel from real loose quick turn in(over steer) to heavy slow turn in(under steer). You may find that you need to go with adjustable sways to help dial in your preference. Stock bars are very limiting and easily overwhelmed if pushed hard.
Tire and wheel sizes are 17 x 8.5 fronts with 255-40's, rears are 18 x 11 with 295-40's. I did not roll the fender lips, clearance is not an issue with proper offset and a careful stagger of the rim halves. The rims are Fikse's and are 3-piece construction.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks full quack. Nathan, Im not sure if its a camber issue. Sounds to me like I need to install a bump steer kit for sure and maybe then go a little lower. I love the look of full quacks whip! Very sexy!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Dave, my black 3.2 carrera did get heavier but I also went with more camber at the same time. I didn't mess with the bump steer. I'm guessing at my height rack spacers would be fine but I didn't bother. I'll have to take a look at the arms some time. My drive is gravel and not dead level...

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: