Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
EFI guys... What plug u usin?

I did a search, and found a thread where a lot of you seem to like the BOSCH W4CS, and some the NGK, but no consensus. Should i run a 'hotter' or 'colder' plug for EFI? What gap are you EFI guys running? Thanks
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-24-2008, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well I would have to get back to you.. My old tec2 is was running W4CS but with the new DTA system we have changed to NGK do to the coils I'm running. Wayne is south fl is doing all the work.
Will soon have my old tec2 for sale for cheap..
Old 05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've run Champion C63YC in at least 6 electromotive twin plugged turbos for nearly 10 years now with zero problems.

Oddly enough, I removed a set today w/ nearly 40,000 miles on them from a built '89 running 1 bar, other than a slightly rounded center electrode and some oil fouling, they were fine.

The "Racing" plug is the only plug to use from Champion.
Any lesser plug from them will almost certainly spit it's guts out inside your engine.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I ran the NGK "9s" in my car. The Champions are good for big cylinder pressure because they have a thicker ground strap and are less likely to turn into a "glow-plug" under extreme temps. Thats one of the things that scares me about the Denso iridiums with their tiny little electrodes- much easier to get hot due to the lack of surface area.

All of my friends that run spray in there big blocks run Champions for the above reasons.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting, this is the first i'm really hearing about the Champs, but am new to the Turbo forum. 930gt, just curious as to what 'The Man' Bello uses . Are plugs in the water cooled turbos compleletly diff than our air-cooled?
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well Juice, I have been sworn to secrecy, but I will tell you that his plugs are not anything exotic. I couldn't tell you the diffrence between the air cooled and water cooled plugs, the only diffrence that I could imagine is that the heat range may be diffrent due to the coil on plug configuration (COP is up-wards of 100,000 volts). I wish there was a way to set one up on our style cars.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

NGK B8EGV are good for most track-trashing. 9:s for extreme boost/lean ratios.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I have the COP solution for our cars. I already had Hargett make valve covers to mount and hold the COPs. Accel DFI makes an ignition controller that can do ANY configuration 12 plug, wasted spark, coil near plug. What ever you want, it can do it.

NGK BKR8EIX Iriduims 5/8 hex (5/8 is nice when you have twin plug, gives a little more room)
NGK B8EGV 13/16 hex
NGK B8EVX Platinums 13/16 hex

As Goran stated these would probably be your best choice. Unless you are over 1.4 the 8's are fine.

And pay attention to what rsrmike stated "ONLY CHAMPION RACING PLUGS" your local parts house will more than likely NOT have these in stock.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This is my COP set up. Wayne in south Fl can build you the same set-up..

This is my web page not Wayne's..
http://www.kmmotorsport.com/kmmotorsport/965_Project.html
Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

What kind of ignition are you running? I use a wasted spark system, dual plug Bosch coil system and use NGK BR9ES. I've had to reduce the gap to about .025 to get a good idle. If your motor has a lot of modifications, choosing a plug is a bit trickier than asking everyone what they use.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
If your motor has a lot of modifications, choosing a plug is a bit trickier than asking everyone what they use.
Don, Tec1. I'm learning quick from input that this is the case, but still needed a starting point from which to move forward. Bought some NGK8s over the weekend and gapped at .30, as this week we're dyno tuning with a fuel pump that actually pumps. Might try the Bosch's as well when we start tweeking, just to see is there is a difference. Curious myself as to if there is any. Thanks guys
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: