Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red face How much engine oil do you consume?

No not orally.........your Pcar I mean.
My 930 had the engine rebuilt some 10,000 miles ago. The latest oil change was approx. 5,000 miles ago. I didn't perform the change, but I can only assume the correct quantity was used.
When I checked the oil level last week, it needed topping up using a whole 3.5 litres. (sorry I dunno what that is in imperial measurement)
This seems like a bloody lot of oil used for 5000 miles.
What do you think? How much do you guys use?
The oil WAS checked at full operating temperature on level ground.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscott View Post
No not orally.........your Pcar I mean.
My 930 had the engine rebuilt some 10,000 miles ago. The latest oil change was approx. 5,000 miles ago. I didn't perform the change, but I can only assume the correct quantity was used.
When I checked the oil level last week, it needed topping up using a whole 3.5 litres. (sorry I dunno what that is in imperial measurement)
This seems like a bloody lot of oil used for 5000 miles.
What do you think? How much do you guys use?
The oil WAS checked at full operating temperature on level ground.
Thanks for your help.
Did you check the oil after the engine was at operating temp? The oil you added is almost 4 quarts and you should never let it get that low.
14 535i M Sport
Old 05-26-2008, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As I said, it was checked at full operating temp. on level ground. Your right about letting it get so low, believe me I was shocked when I inspected it. Certainly was never my intention, I just didn't expect it to use so much.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A litre per 1000-1500miles is not excessive, necessarily. Indeed the P drivers handbook says this is the expected consumption. Lesson? Check & top up every 1000-1500 miles.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I find the much-maligned oil level gauge works very well for a general indication of how much oil is in the system, should I sit at a stop light on the level for 30 seconds or more with the oil hot.

I never fill right up, because I'm concerned with it puking out the excess should I run boost for a few miles. So I fill half-way up the stick @ 180-190 degrees and keep an eye on the level, and check it on the stick when it's around the red mark at a hot idle.

I've also noticed that oil (and fuel) consumption is much higher if you tend to do short-ish journeys (10 miles) than if you always run 30-50 miles or more. Guess the proportion of time the motor is fully-warmed in each journey is that much shorter - and that puff of blue smoke on startup is coming from somewhere too...

There's entire belief systems growing up around about how frequently you should change the oil. Many people would already have changed it before 5,000 miles on a car where the turbo shares oil with the motor. Especially if you let the level drop very low (the remaining oil had to work that much harder).

Somewhat counter-intuitively, I seem to recall Charles Navarro (LN Engineering) saying in one of the incredibly long oil threads on the 911 forum that engine wear levels are highest when oil is "worn out" and when it's first added - so changing too frequently may not be a good idea either.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I find the much-maligned oil level gauge works very well for a general indication of how much oil is in the system, should I sit at a stop light on the level for 30 seconds or more with the oil hot.

I never fill right up, because I'm concerned with it puking out the excess should I run boost for a few miles. So I fill half-way up the stick @ 180-190 degrees and keep an eye on the level, and check it on the stick when it's around the red mark at a hot idle.

I've also noticed that oil (and fuel) consumption is much higher if you tend to do short-ish journeys (10 miles) than if you always run 30-50 miles or more. Guess the proportion of time the motor is fully-warmed in each journey is that much shorter - and that puff of blue smoke on startup is coming from somewhere too...

There's entire belief systems growing up around about how frequently you should change the oil. Many people would already have changed it before 5,000 miles on a car where the turbo shares oil with the motor. Especially if you let the level drop very low (the remaining oil had to work that much harder).

Somewhat counter-intuitively, I seem to recall Charles Navarro (LN Engineering) saying in one of the incredibly long oil threads on the 911 forum that engine wear levels are highest when oil is "worn out" and when it's first added - so changing too frequently may not be a good idea either.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Mine would use a similar amount to yours although I've learned to check frequently. Short trips do seem to be the killer.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Too much!
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for your imput guys.
I think the lesson is to check the oil level on a more regular basis. I'm about to drop the oil and refill with Redline for the first time. Maybe the short trips are contributing to the consumption.
Cheers!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I recently read "somewhere" that the turbo scavenger oil pump dosen't work well below 3000rpm. So if you leave the car idling before switching it off (like me opening garage doors etc) the oil seeps through the turbo seals overnight and blows out the exhaust when you start up next time.
Mine usually blows smoke/oil on startup but on the rare occasion that I have remembered to give it a bit of a rev before I shut it down there appears to be less oil blowing out on startup.
I need to do this a few more times to be sure.
Does anyone else subscribe to this theory?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Air cooled 911s don't use oil, they leak oil.
I saw a picture of a re-capture system once that pumps the pooled oil back into the engine. That would solve your problem and you'd never have to check the level again.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I saw a picture of a re-capture system once that pumps the pooled oil back into the engine. That would solve your problem and you'd never have to check the level again.
Hey I made it to lucky 13,000 miles on my engine rebuild without leaking a drop!!! Now I've noticed that just this morning, my chain housing covers are beginning to weep ever so slightly!!!!! NEVER FAILS!!!!!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Yeah, That was designed for HD motorcycles, so they could stop using their helmets as oil catch cans.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
I recently read "somewhere" that the turbo scavenger oil pump dosen't work well below 3000rpm. So if you leave the car idling before switching it off (like me opening garage doors etc) the oil seeps through the turbo seals overnight and blows out the exhaust when you start up next time.
Mine usually blows smoke/oil on startup but on the rare occasion that I have remembered to give it a bit of a rev before I shut it down there appears to be less oil blowing out on startup.
I need to do this a few more times to be sure.
Does anyone else subscribe to this theory?
That's an interesting theory. Mine also blows a plume of blue smoke on startup, and yes it is also left to idle for a while I open the garage door.
You're in Oz, Darkhorse......where.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm in Melbourne. I really should take the time to have a look at the plumbing to see whether the theory is feasible.
Of course the other way to look at this is that we're always getting a top up of fresh oil, which can't be a bad thing.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

LOL. Not a bad thing to top up, but it just cost me a frag under $300 to strart a fresh with Redline and that's at a cheaper rate than retail off Ebay.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. Your turbo is bone cold when you start the car, the oil would be fluid, not smoke.
Mine blows a puff of smoke immediately on startup after it has sat for several days to a week. I believe that is caused by oil seeping by the rings and pooling at the bottom of the horrizontal cylinders over time.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Another observation from someone who drives their car 12 months out of the year: I hardly have any smoke on start-up during the Winter months. However, during the Summer months I get a small puff every morning (maybe every other morning). It clears up quickly. I wonder if it has something to do with the oil thinning as it reaches a more optimal (hot) temperature from the previous day's drive, and possibly finding it's way into/past some other areas.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 06-01-2008 at 08:46 AM..
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
It's been said before that the rings rotate on the pistons as time goes by.

Can anyone confirm this?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I'm sure the rings do rotate, but when they are installed on the pistons, they should be done so with each ring gap located at a different place around the piston, so that the gaps aren't lined up with each other. I guess it's possible (anything is) that at some point, maybe all of the gaps find themselves lined up....but I think it's doubtful.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: