Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Which Rotor with MSD6?

Anyone have advice on which Rotor works best with MSD6?

Was poking around today and found that my stock 930 rotor had at one time become so hot as to apparently boil/melt the epoxy-like material running the length of the metal conductor. Thanks in advance.

EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I've used both the rev-limiting and the non-rev-limiting rotors with out problems with my MSD6AL.

If you have the MSD6AL, you don't need the rev-limiting rotor.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

356-930 suggested I dig out the wire that fits between the center of the rotor and the end, solder in a thicker copper wire and use expoxy to fill in around the copper. It's worked fine. Never have to replace the rotor again.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
The rev limiting rotors fail due to the heat. Use a non limiting one.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
rotors and fuel pumps

I like the "Dig out the epoxy, replace wire with thicker wire and re-epoxy." Sounds like a common sense fix. Thanks

ALSO: Nathan: I am re-evaluating my fuel pump thoughts and may have been way off in left field - but, then again that is one stimulating thing about learning how the 930 works. Lots to explore. I suspend my conclusions since so many on the board have said their systems are different and that I have erred. Still searching for how the fuel pumps work as well as the meaning of life.

EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e p slick View Post
I like the "Dig out the epoxy, replace wire with thicker wire and re-epoxy."
EPS
12-awg size wire is perfect. Most homes are wired with 12-awg solid copper Romex. Just strip a piece out, cut to length, solder and epoxy.
What is being cut out/replaced is a resistor (thus the heat) readily eaten/destroyed by an MSD ignition system. The solid wire replacement will generate immeasurable heat.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

so much heat it can't be measured.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: