Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Doug Siegel

anyone have an extra fuel head?

I've been trying to tune my Leask WUR while using both an RPM solenoid valve and IA modified fuel head. The head is giving me way too much fuel. I can't tune it out. When I went to a 1 bar spring, I was told that I needed a modified fuel head. I should have tried tuning the car with the existing fuel head. I didn't. I sent it to IA. It is gone forever.

Anyone have an extra head to lend for a couple of days.

Or, can anyone tell me how to decrease the fuel flow from the modified head? I'm guessing that the little T screws on top of the head have nothing to do with the modification.

Thanks!!!!!
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have the exact same issue and experience. So I'm listening....

With the boost signal removed from Brians WUR and the threshold adjustment all the way in and the boost enrichment part tapped in quite aways, like around 1/8" to raise the boost enrichment control pressure it is still too rich in the midrange.

I have 10:1 for AFR around 4500rpm full throttle and it goes to 12.5:1 around 6000rpm.

I wish I could have my origonal fuel head back too.
I'm sick of removing the WUR and diddleing with it now and just drive it the way it is.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yep, always check AFRs first. Hindsight ;-)

What chip is in the RPM switch? Mine required 5,200 - pretty high.
I have the IA fuel head - needed it for fuel above 5,200 -
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I made my own vacuum solenoid set up in the boost signal>WUR circut using the summit racing digital rpm switch and a bosch vacuum solenoid that is programmable so it doesn't use pills or chips, and it cost half what the MSD switch goes for.
It works perfectly.

Have it programmed to ground the vacuum solenoid @ 4500rpm using a relay.
I also wired a tiny light in parallel with it up on the side of the center console next to the LC-1 status led so I can see that it is working.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yep, that'll work - way to go.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Craig,
As a result of recent post where you mentioned a 5200 chip, I bought one. I haven't used it yet because ultimately, I am way too rich on boost below even 4000 rpm. My warm pressure is fine for cruise, but boost is too rich.

JF,
Stephen at IA said that he would adjust the fuel head. If I can't find a stock one to play with, I will have to send it to IA.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)

Last edited by dsiegel360; 05-31-2008 at 09:34 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Seems like you could find someone to swap with you. Of course, I have the IA head, so I'm no help...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post

JF,
Stephen at IA said that he would adjust the fuel head. If I can't find a stock one to play with, I will have to send it to IA.
This is good to know. Before I got my Leaske WUR and solenoid, I was a freaking fuel tanker with the IA head; my car ran eye-watering rich! Things have improved tremendously. The HFS turbo, and being able to dial in a touch more boost has helped use some of the fuel. But I think it could be a tad better. Did Stephen say how he adjusts it?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

HUGE mistake many make - buying the fuel head 1st. Never do it.

Always: 1) the Adj WUR 2) RPM switch 3)check AFRs on dyno - then if needed 4) the IA head.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Sandman,
Stephen didn't say how he adjusts the head.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

There is a system fuel pressure regulator in the fuel head. Maybe lowering the system pressure with that will help or maybe that would screw up the control pressures...
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
There is a system fuel pressure regulator in the fuel head. Maybe lowering the system pressure with that will help or maybe that would screw up the control pressures...
If you are referring to the shims, I have removed all of mine.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
HUGE mistake many make - buying the fuel head 1st. Never do it.

Always: 1) the Adj WUR 2) RPM switch 3)check AFRs on dyno - then if needed 4) the IA head.
I agree with this advice...NOW! However, when you've got the engine out (easy access), and you've changed the cams, bumped up the displacement, and the CR, and you don't have a Euro fuel head...you ASS-U-ME you will be running on the lean side. Not to mention, you get a few experts telling you that it's good insurance!!! I think a Black Euro fuel dizzy would have done the trick for me. We'll see, I've just bumped up my warm control pressures...
Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thats what I was thinking of but only read that they exist in a post here...

How many shims were in there on your's, and more importanly what system pressure are you running?

Did it lean your's out by removing the shims?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
What I have seen is you don't need a fuel head mod until you breach 375WHP. You do need to bump the system pressure to 90psi at that level.
But I'm just the guy who doesn't use an RPM switch.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Thats what I was thinking of but only read that they exist in a post here...

How many shims were in there on your's, and more importanly what system pressure are you running?

Did it lean your's out by removing the shims?
Before removing the sims, the needle on my CIS gauge was burried (pegged). I'm sure it was over 100. Now it's at just under 90. And I think it did help.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

I have this problem also in the turbo SC. However, Prior to getting the IA head and Leask stuff, I did all of the precautionary stuff to determine what I needed. I had a homemade adjustable WUR, no IA head, and couldn't get AFR's below 13.5, this with fairly low control pressure. So, I opted for the IA head...they said they could get me ONE POINT lower on AFR. Just so happens I got three points lower. That is a big difference, and as Doug any almost everyone else here says, it can barely be tuned out. It is pig rich before the solenoid control comes in.

I was working on this problem last week, but got sidetracked installing more oil coolers.

There must be a simple way to lower the volume into the head.
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
With the IA fuel distributor mods, do they recommend any kind of fuel pressure regulation feeding the fuel system? Is there a fuel system pressure spec they provide?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Doug Siegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
With the IA fuel distributor mods, do they recommend any kind of fuel pressure regulation feeding the fuel system? Is there a fuel system pressure spec they provide?
Nope. They just send the head with a couple words on installation.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
There are no set parameters for any equipment once you mod the engine. That is the problem. There are only starting points. All aftermarket performance parts should list those starting points (not optimal for use above/below xx HP or with xx component) or at least they should find out what the application is an recommend the correct complementary product.

Most setups are unique and will require unique tuning of the components chosen. Below a certain threshold you will not be able to tune out a pig rich modded fuel head. That exact threshold depends on the engine mods shuch as the type of turbo, headers, heads, etc. Even your head stud choice affects fueling. The fuel system should be modified to support the engine, not the other way around.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: