Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
E-85 sippin drunk

I love when the UPS man shows up..new parts!!!!

Well, I have not been on the boards in awhile.... kinda took a couple of months off from the car, and tended to other stuff, but now back on it hard..

I am going to be making my own headers. I have ordered and received the CNC flanges that bolt to the heads, and Monday I will order the collecters from Burns Stainless.. them the SS tubing, and hopefully have the headers completed with in a month or so... This turbo is the Garrett GT-35r dual BB cartridge with the Tial cast SS turbine housing, instead of it being cast iron.... weight savings close to 40 % from a normal turbo... it is very light... Enjoy the pics... B

Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

"Weight savings" on a turbocharger. Hm.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Alright!
Kudos to you for doing it right.
It is nice to see somthing other than "check out my really cool 80's mods I'm doing to my car in the year 2008..."
Can I say I'm jealous of your turbo?
I went with a turbonetics unit closer to a 30R size. It's inbetween though as it is a t4 framed turbo with a custom compressor. Don't want to jack your thread so I'll share details later once things come back form the coaters. The tial hot housing has really done well since inception - this correlates with the engineering behind it.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

GT35R with Tial turbine housing and what appears to be a Forced Performance machined anti-surge compressor housing???? If you bought it from FP what not anty up for the HTA compressor?? Night and day difference between the standard and HTA compressors in spool and flow. Interesting though The Tial housings are nice and sure as sh%t make turbo removal so much easier for maintenance.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
"Weight savings" on a turbocharger. Hm.
Why not? His car has carbon fiber everything, he's removing weight from the most aft position on the car and taking weight strain off the header (although I think he's going to use some sort of support). I think its a pretty good idea.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
My brother finally bought the turbo

I have waited almost 6 years to see this day. Now, let's hope it doesn't take him that long to get the thing running.

He He. had to bust your ba//s. Glad you are finally making big progress. This thing is going to be sweet. Maybe I'll come to GA. for the inaugural run.

Bry
Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Adam, While I will go with ForcedPerformance for my Tial W/G and BOV, I chose to deal directly with Tial on the turbo. I like to V-band clamp design, and since I am building my own headers, it was a no brainer.

As far the weight savings go, that was not the only reason, although it is one of them. I also like the fuctionality of the V-band design... Even though I know I wont be taking this thing off every weekend, it is still nice to know that in Two years, I won't have to dear with any of those pesky four corroded bolts ( turbo to headers)
I will be using a brace to take the remaining weight of the turbo from resting on the headers... and the other reason, ... I liked the way it looks, and it is something different. Hell I know racers who spend thousands of dollars just to save a few pounds... the cost of this turbo with the new SS housing was actually cheaper that the factory turbo from Garrett!

E-man, I would love to hear about your turbo..and see some pics...

Bryan, I will take you up on your offer...might even have a nice cold Oberon sitting here waiting for ya!!!!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice project....

I tried checking Tial's website for a SS turbo but could not find pricing. What is the ball park price ? You can Pm me if you like.

Thanks
BMW R75/7
Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
Adam, While I will go with ForcedPerformance for my Tial W/G and BOV, I chose to deal directly with Tial on the turbo. I like to V-band clamp design, and since I am building my own headers, it was a no brainer.

It's funny you say that because right after I posted that there I did have a brain fart and remember that FP and Tial share a similar machining for their compressor housings. DOH!

One other nice feature about the Tial turbine housing is that the stainless tends to retain heat a little bit more than your typical nickel-cast iron housing. helps with spool a tad and keeps some of the heat from radiating into the compressor backing plate.

Now if Tial would only get off their lazy ass and make a twin scroll version of that housing you have now. I'd pay good money for one immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman maire View Post
Nice project....

I tried checking Tial's website for a SS turbo but could not find pricing. What is the ball park price ? You can Pm me if you like.

Thanks
When you can find them in stock they typically sell for about $250 for a bare housing depending on the source and demand at the time. They're still a pretty hot item right now and Tial has a consistently difficult time keeping up with production.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
How much weight did you lose with the special housing?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: