Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Spark Plug Pics

Has anyone taken pics of their plugs that clearly shows a good color burn?

Thx
Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

A couple of you have PM'd me asking what I am looking for - good question. I am fine tuning my EFI converted car by trying to read the plugs. I was hoping someone had pictures of good examples of plugs showing a good tune. Yes, I am using my AFR's as a guideline, but AFR's alone don't tell me what's going on inside the combustion chamber - plugs can.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Don, I can take some of mine but the problem with mine are the very large injectors. I like the porcelin to be mocha brown which I have now but I do have a bit of sooth on the exposed metal. This is a problem not being able to trim the large injectors down at idle low enough. I have my injectors at idle down to .250 ms which is the lowest the injector can be fired. I can tune the ms lower but the injector can't fire that low. If this will help give me a day or so.
The mocha brown is rich to many but on a high output turbo engine it is a safety factor in my book.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

That would be great - thanks.

Last weekend, I took a 200 mile trip for the day with AFR's primarily in the high 13's and the plugs were light tan with the grounding strap nearly clean. I considered this too lean. I richened the AFR's to show generally low 13's (in normal around town driving) and now have a dark or mocha color (the metal case of the plug is black now). My idle is 1.80ms using Siemens Mototron 60lb injectors which gives me 13.8AFR.

I'll take some pics to show what they look like now.

I would also be interested to know what you think the gap should be on a wasted spark system, spark plug.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

No problem Don,
One problem you will see is if you go too big on the gap on boosted cars, the boost can and will actually blow the spark out. So even though the larger gaps give a better spark even with enhancers the spark can be extinguised. I run twin 300+ DFI boxs on my car and found on theNGK BKR9EIX plugs the .030 gap might have been too much @1.1-1.2 bar. The motor was acting as if it was lean popping. I had a set of Bosch W4CS which are 1 range hotter than the NGK's. I gapped them at .025 instead of .030 and haven't had the problem since. I was thinking of possibly trying the NGK's again with the gaps closed up to .025 just to see if it was the plugs heat range or the .005 gap difference.
For your wasted spark I would stay at .020-.025. Even with the enhancer boxes the larger recommended gap seems to be too much.
I'm using the siemens 1000cc injectors, they just don't like under .250. I am at low 13 to mid 13 at idle and cruise and in the 11's on boost. It isn't thay big a deal the only way it would become a problem is if I couldn't get it to idle without loading up. I have a good idle @ 850 RPM and a steady MAP reading. that is all anyone could ask for.
On a side note at what RPM are your EVO cams falling off?
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Here are two shots of the same plug with different lighting. The ceramic insulator is dark tan as well as the grounding electrode. The gap on all 12 is .028. The cams plateau at 6200 and you could argue they stop at a shade over 6000. Why do you ask?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Slantnose from HELL

Heat range is good the strap is perfect, no excessive discoloration heat at the apex. Looks good, a little fat (rich) but we knew that. I'd say it is acceptable and safe.

I was wondering what the 964 crank did to your powerband. With the 3.3 crank they are done at 6500, Dave's motor has the same poweband as you and are done at 6K. His motor is more exagerant as his turbos are too small.

I think the next go around I will try a set of Jerry Woods GE60's or GE80's. less intake centerline and a little more lift.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: