Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I am looking for a 930 turbo also, and have a list of what I want and what is a deal breaker. There are lots of 930's out there and most are selling for 911 prices. I don't know when and if I will sell it, but I don't want things like salvage titles, grey market cars, high miles or lots mods to effect resale, insurance or someone trying to arrange bank financing. Now I may find a high milage, grey market, salvage title car with lots of mods and fall in love with it and buy it. I am taking my time and waiting for the right car to come along.

Last edited by Hobby Logger; 06-03-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Good input Logger. One of my mistakes yesterday was taking my wife and daughter. They were both, buy it buy it!!!!!!!!! That is hard to resist. It was a real nice car, but I have heard a lot of "it is a buyers market right now, so I am being patient. Thi s seller has the car on ebay and i always wait until those auctions end and then have a serious discussion. Personally I do not need perfection, but I can not stand a real project at this point in my life either. Take a deep breath and keep looking for more cars. I agree with the earlier commnet, the search is still part of the journey.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

One of the things that I'm concerned about is I see alot talk on these forums about how much money people put into these cars after they buy them. I ask my self the question, how much money will I be comfortable putting in to this car over the time I own it. When the right car comes along I will know it in my gut, nobody will have to tell me.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby Logger View Post
One of the things that I'm concerned about is I see alot talk on these forums about how much money people put into these cars after they buy them. I ask my self the question, how much money will I be comfortable putting in to this car over the time I own it. When the right car comes along I will know it in my gut, nobody will have to tell me.
You may be at the point of over-researching the car. I did the same thing and I actually picked up the phone twice to call the seller of my car to tell him I was going to back out, luckily I never dialed the number.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and now I can't imagine being without the car. What you need to keep in mind is that everyone who has issues or is just a natural tinkerer will post on these forums, the people that your not hearing from on a regular basis are the hundreds of owners who are enjoying their cars with normal maintenance and minimal issues.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
You may be at the point of over-researching the car. I did the same thing and I actually picked up the phone twice to call the seller of my car to tell him I was going to back out, luckily I never dialed the number.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and now I can't imagine being without the car. What you need to keep in mind is that everyone who has issues or is just a natural tinkerer will post on these forums, the people that your not hearing from on a regular basis are the hundreds of owners who are enjoying their cars with normal maintenance and minimal issues.
I agree with you. Its not life or death its a car for pleasure use only.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

back wheel

Here is the only pic I could find. Has a slight view of the lug nut and counter bore. looks 1/2" deep. Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Looks like a 9.

JR
Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hello Haution11,
You stated that there are not too many 930's to pick from where you are at. Soooo...look a little further away from home! Hell I bought a Ducati motorcycle from New York, took a trip to Indiana for a Spartan trailer, went to Canada for a rare Suzuki, and I live in the Seattle area.
Look around and find the one that floats your boat, and make a road trip out of getting it home...life's an adventure...loosen up and have some fun while buying one!
I'd say, be aware of the negatives, but don't put blinders on because of them!
Just my .02 cents worth.
Mark
Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Thanks Mark. I flew to San Francisco a few years ago with my oldest son and bought , believe it or not a Pontiac Mini Van. Drove it the Northern route back to Indy and we had the time of our lives. Love to find a long distance one but it is harder to get a good feel for the car when it is farther away. Someone here listed a S.F. car with 150K + miles on it. I love the color combo etc, but it is tough thinking about a rebuilt but high mileage car, especially in driving it 2200 miles home. I would love to do it though. I am still thinking about the high mileage car as an option. Lived in Kent south of Seattle for 11 years as well. Still have 2 sisters there. Find me a car and sounds like one hell of a road trip with now my gearhead youngest daughter.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I agree with Full Quack...I live in Calgary and bought my 930 in North Carolina.

Get the car you want, if you settle for something else because its close and kinda what you want you will regret it. I think there are enough good guys on this forum that would be glad to swing by and have a look at a car if it is in their neck of the woods.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Update on the test drive car. Ended yesterday on Ebay with only 3 bids and $20k. That is his 2nd auction. No bids on his first $30k auction. That helps my lower price offer I want to make. There is a clean 86 with a few less milles and some nice bolt on mods that has a day to go that is already up to $27k. It appears the fire and title are a pretty strong deterrent for people. The seller told me his reserve was $30k and in my mind that is way too high. I am still in the mid 20's.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
One more point from a fellow Hoosier, the "Guards Red" looks wrong. I've painted a lot of guards red over the years and this mix doesn't have the depth of red it should have. Light and camera can play tricks but this one is pale. I had this same shade in a lacquer spray job I did on a Corvette years ago.

I'm in the market also. The color and the title turned me off when I saw it on ebay. $20K tops and that won't get this one. Unless you are 75 years old and in that case the car will outlive you, the title issue will burn you.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Thanks Copbait. He bought this car partailly done strictly to sell, and a lot of people told him what a 930 was worth. He has done a nice job, but his expectation is high. It all depends on what he really has in the car. Where is Chesterfield???
Old 06-08-2008, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

You know, if the damage was in the trunk and there is no sign of it now, the title problem wouldn't bother me. At the end of the day, the motor and gearbox condition is far more important. The paint may be fine, as guard's red tends to photograph on the orange side in bright sunlight.

I'd say get a PPI and buy it.

JR
Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

One more Ebay auction ended. in the last day he listed it for $26k no reserve and no one bid. I am calling on Friday and thinking about $24k. PPI by Farmer in Indy. The car is nice but I will not chase it. What are some thoughts out there on a clean mechanically sound car that runs and feels really nice?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hautions11 View Post
I am calling on Friday and thinking about $24k. PPI by Farmer in Indy. What are some thoughts out there on a clean mechanically sound car that runs and feels really nice?
Sounds like the bases are covered... what other thoughts? Get in the water!!
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

One way to back into it: get your one and only number/offer on the table, if he takes it, it was meant to be. If he asks for one penny more, walk away, and enjoy some more of the journey. Don't force it...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Use the title issue(s) to your advantage...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Agreed Sand Man. By the way the color in the Pics is awful. The car is the perfect guards red but the pics are a horrible depiction. I believe that is one of the other reasons it is sitting. Seeing it in person was a lot different.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Update. I have been patient and the car is now down to $22,500. That is more in the range that I tought was reasonable. I talked to the seller today and want to make an offer lower then that, or get him to throw in the correct 245/40 rear tires rather then the current 215's. During the process of selling the car, he has added a 1 bar WG spring and MSD ignition parts. I have heard on this board a 1 bar spring without other mods, (fuel/IC) there are serious reliability issues. Comments. Do I ask the seller to remove it? Thoughts?? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: