Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

spoiled by turbo power?

Just curious if anyone else feels that owning a turbo powered car has spoiled them from returning to normally aspirated roots? Especially one as raw as our beloved 930.

The reason I ask, is that a few months ago when I was in FL visiting my family, I got to drive my father's new (new to him) Triumph TR6. The TR6 sounded incredible, just like I remembered. The shifting was tight, the steering was tight, the suspension was tight, it was great having the top down, BUT boy did I miss that visceral power of my 930. Things happen so fast in my car. I'm always amazed at how quickly the tach needle sweeps. It's just brutal! In the TR, the power was much more slow to build. I'm not calling it slow, just missing some of that excitement, that I've grown to love. Different. The white knuckles weren't there. Don't get me wrong, I know full well that these cars are miles a part - this is an apple to banana comparison - I know that. However, before I entered the turbo world, cars like this TR6 were all I really knew. My roots are in early German and British "sports cars". These cars used to thrill me. Before I began sharing a bed with my 930 mistress, this TR6 would have owned me. Now, not so much. I appreciate it, like I do most cars, but some of the lust has worn off.

I used to think I'd keep my 930 until the right Austin Healey 3000 MKII (or even a minty 100-4) came around. A nice, "early" BMW 2002 TI is on my short list, as is another 356C. I'd love to do a long-hood 911 hot-rod. And I always wanted a fully restored Alfa GTV, too, and a nice 993 was always on the list. However, I fear that I'll never be able to walk away from the boost bong. Cars I would have given a limb to own in the past, now seem to pale in comparison.

I know we've got some deep pockets on this board, that have owned some pretty fine machinery over the years...how does your turbo addiction compare to other cars you've owned? Do you find that you miss that little whistle when you're tooling around in something normally aspirated?

I don't think I can look back...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 06-04-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Ideally, I guess I'd have a collection...some times it sucks to be poor!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I hate to say it Sand_man...but you are right...the boost bong is a VERY hard addiction to drop!! This is my drug... One of the good things is that even though I feel that the 930's are one of the top boosted cars to own.... you can get into cheaper cars...that although they are not on the same level of performance of a 930...they are still just as fun.... Subaru WRX, Neon RT... And I am not avocating rice here people...just the fact that for ALOT less money...you can have some fun...

Of couse I would always pick the 930 over the crowd, but with a simple turbo and fuel injector change, the WRX comes very close to 400 HP...and has all wheel drive...nice package...
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

...and to be clear, I'm opening this up to all turbo powered cars! Doesn't have to be a 930 - or a Porsche for that matter. Just looking for your experiences and insight.

The car I had right before my 930 was a highly modified 2002 VW GTI VR6. I had just finished sourcing all of the parts for a turbo conversion...would have been a VR6T. As I was under the car getting ready to remove the oil pan so that I could tap an oil return line from the turbo, it struck me that this was the wrong car for me. I was sinking boat loads into this car, and no matter what I did, it was still a MKIV VW Golf!!!!! I needed a different platform. Enter the 930...

Last edited by sand_man; 06-04-2008 at 10:49 AM..
Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i have a 78 930 stripped to 2300 pounds with 425 rwhp and things can happen rather quickly, but my daily driver is a 585 chp 71 911 which i prefer. it is much more predictable when accelerating...and gets the job done in a more subtle manner. used to drive healeys in my youger days but they really are not very quick in stock trim...much like the tr6. i also have a 99 z3 m coupe with most all dinan mods including being supercharged but it pales in comparison to the porsches in the power department. they are small cars but are really heavy at about 3100 pounds. lots of fun to drive and very modern when compared to either of the porsches. so i get to drive sort of a mixed bag, but for me, at the end of the day, when the dart all aluminum 434 sbc roller motor gets going it is hard to beat for my old hotrodding tastes!!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From the first time I saw a 930 nothing has compared to it in my eyes. It was the late 70s and there was no way I could have one. That didn't stop me from dreaming about owning one someday. As I got older I thought just owning a Porsche that my wife and I would enjoy would take the place of getting a 930. Nov. 07 I bought a nice 2000 996 cab., we love the car and its just like new, only 3000 miles, not even broke in yet. I still want a 930, so the 996 will be something my wife and I can enjoy and the 930 will be fulfilling a dream. So now I search for a 930.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin7310948 View Post
585 chp 71 911
Christamighty!!!! What the hell is making that? Would love some pix!
1965 Karman Ghia-Class winner 2007 Carrera Panamericana/Ducati 900ss/GhezziBrian STW
D-Zug Produkte/D-Zug.com
Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm Hooked......

I loved my Targa.....and the exhaust note, the linear power, it was more fun in some ways....but I am SO hooked on the turbo....I can drive it around calmly, but whenever I want it, that 'hit' is available, and I don't think I can give that up.....
K27 7200, Tial 46mm WG with straight pipe, Fabspeed Exhaust,B&B halfbay IC, Wevo mounts, Rennline floorboards, Rennline goodies, Optima mount, Elephant finned oil lines, widemouth cooler, high speed fan.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I was sinking boat loads into this car, and no matter what I did, it was still a MKIV VW Golf!!!!! I needed a different platform. Enter the 930...

Exactly as I found w/the audi quattro(4000 and 90 quattros). I too spent tons on these to get awsome power. Real fun cars to drive and they killed most average cars out there. Stealthy. But......in the end, i decided I didn't get the respect visually that I wanted. So I got a 911. Now I want the power again which I'm doing with a 930 plant. Seems to be the right idea.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As some of you know I have been looking for a 911 for a few months. I have driven a variety of cars and all natuarally aspirated until this week. My fisrt 930 ride. OH MY GOD! The rest seem boring now! I am spoiled already and i do not even own one. Now unlike some memebers here, I only get one car, and even though I will drive it a lot, if I am limited to one it will be a 930.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hautions11 View Post
As some of you know I have been looking for a 911 for a few months. I have driven a variety of cars and all natuarally aspirated until this week. My fisrt 930 ride. OH MY GOD! The rest seem boring now! I am spoiled already and i do not even own one. Now unlike some memebers here, I only get one car, and even though I will drive it a lot, if I am limited to one it will be a 930.
I get one car, also. And because I can be easily bored, I had to have something I wouldn't tire of...and it had to go like stink!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I owned a '89 930 3.4l (Ruf BTR kit installed in the US) and a '97 993tt - at the same time!! Circumstances (family, financial, stock market (or losses thereof)) forced me to sell both of them - yes, it was very sad.

I thought I could "get by" with a 2005 WRX STi. There is absolutely NO comparison between the STi and the 930 IMHO. I sold the STi less than 4 months after its purchase.

Fast forward to now - Circumstances (family, financial) allowed me to rekindle the passion for the 930 and buy one - another '89 930, but this time a cab. I'll admit I even toyed with buying a 996tt or a GT3. But I couldn't do it - I had to have another '89 930.

Yeah, I promised to post pictures a couple of weeks ago - I've taken the pix, I just need to find the time to post them.

For me - 930 or nothing!

Dan

Current ride
'89 930 cab (#584 out of a production run of 600)

Former rides
'97 993tt
'89 930 3.4l (Ruf BTR kit installed in the US)
'86 Carrera

'05 WRX STi
Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

Awesome post, Dan.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Turbo cars are just so much fun and the 930 is fun SQUARED! I drove a 993 C4S a few days ago and it is a beautiful car, but when I pounded the gas really nothing remarkable happened. Yes it accelerated, but in a very calm, controlled manner....and yes I was bored.

I am ruined for life. It's like all the years I spent dating super models...it's just hard to go back to the girl next door.

1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 06-04-2008 at 06:33 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Good question Jeff. I think you nailed it with your mention of only having one car. If that's the case - yes - the hits off the boostbong are hard to walk away from. Vehicular Bonghits are quite addictive.

I came out of some fun N/A stuff, e28 ///M5 then MB 2.3-16, then got into my first turbo'd car, an //S6 - K24 pushing 22psi. When that ran its 5yr course I got into my //S8 and sure I def. miss the boost. There's simply nothing like that donkeypunch to the kidneys from forced induction. While 11:1 compression spun up to 7250 via 40v with roller cam followers is gigglerific, hearing and feeling all the WRCesq sounds of boost building then exploding - well - that's tough to replace.

_HOWEVER_

I've found the key to be one *must* have more than 1 car. Unfortunately.

As logistically and financially annoying as it is, one car couldn't work for me. Biggest factor is auto vs. stick, but then add in turbo vs. N/A. So, have a few of this a few of that 8-). I need to haul 3 kids, traverse 12" of snow, swap with wife, and be able to sport a WOT triple digit smile at the same time - so there's no 'good' way to do it.

It sucks, but, it's worth the grins. Find yerself a coupla more cars 8-).

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Good question Jeff. I think you nailed it with your mention of only having one car. If that's the case - yes - the hits off the boostbong are hard to walk away from. Vehicular Bonghits are quite addictive.

I came out of some fun N/A stuff, e28 ///M5 then MB 2.3-16, then got into my first turbo'd car, an //S6 - K24 pushing 22psi. When that ran its 5yr course I got into my //S8 and sure I def. miss the boost. There's simply nothing like that donkeypunch to the kidneys from forced induction. While 11:1 compression spun up to 7250 via 40v with roller cam followers is gigglerific, hearing and feeling all the WRCesq sounds of boost building then exploding - well - that's tough to replace.

_HOWEVER_

I've found the key to be one *must* have more than 1 car. Unfortunately.

As logistically and financially annoying as it is, one car couldn't work for me. Biggest factor is auto vs. stick, but then add in turbo vs. N/A. So, have a few of this a few of that 8-). I need to haul 3 kids, traverse 12" of snow, swap with wife, and be able to sport a WOT triple digit smile at the same time - so there's no 'good' way to do it.

It sucks, but, it's worth the grins. Find yerself a coupla more cars 8-).
I've been telling wifey this for some time, now! My oldest is 10 years old and after watching an old BMW 2002 track car, humping around VIR last year during a club event, he is really smitten by them. HHHMMM, maybe I can take the father/son project car angle for the 2002...then a father/daughter project Alfa GTV. Yes...it's all coming togther! Then I need more kids...
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

boost....my anti drug

Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sandman-
you're absolutely right. the 930 raw machine outstrips any excitement generated by the quaintness of any of my rides... 71-240Z, 76-TR6, 74-GTV-2000 and even the 53-MGTD, although I still smile alot when I drive the TD. and the 930 has been more raw machine than the 70-GS-455, 69-Z28 & 68-427 and 67-289 mustang.

I will say that the 89-951 was probably the most balanced of all the cars I've ever owned and would probably still have it now except I wanted more power and boost.

a sickness I've come to enjoy...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

So True

A good hit of boost and your never going to me the same!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth - Steve McQueen
американский
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT930 View Post
So True

A good hit of boost and your never going to me the same!
Being an Exotic car dealer since 1974 ( and a hobbyist for 15 years before that ) I have had the opportunity to own or have consigned in my inventory some performance cars that approach 7 figures. I prefer the 930 to own over anything I have ever driven and hopefully will always be able to afford own one. Some of the twin turbos I have owned like the RX7, Supra& Nissan from the early 90s were somewhat exciting in their time but are history as the 930 Turbo extrodinar continues to be the only one to really hold my interest over the years. Sand_man.... the car poor people are those that either are not aware of the 930 attributes or those who do not have a 930 (yet)

Last edited by voitureltd; 06-05-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: