Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Low boost turbo on a stock 3.2 Carrera

Anyone running a low boost blow through turbo system on a stock motor 3.2?

My goal is 300rwhp at no more than 7 lbs of boost.

I plan on a raising rate fuel pressure reg.

At 5 to 7 lbs dose the timing have to be pulled back?

Can the stock chip possibly work?

Any recommendations or help appreciated.

Thx
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quite a few guys on this board have done the 3.2 turbo conversion. If you do a search on promotive (they do a kit) here and you will find lots of references. A 3.2 is a good candidate for the conversion but you cannot use a stock chip.

There a plenty of examples of a turbo'ed 3.2 but you if you stick with your stock pistons (9.5:1 compression) you have to run low boost, special chip, intercooler etc if you want 300rwhp. Guys who have done this seem very happy with it, but i think these are for street applications. Not sure if anyone who has done a low end turbo conversion actually tracks their cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am running just .5bar, the power hike is incredible, proto claim 360hp at .5bar and 400hp at .7. At .5 you don't need an intercooler, over this you do. Jerry got 321rwhp with just .6bar, Merv got the claimed 400hp at .7bar.

You do need a chip and rising rate regulator like the BEGI or the non adjustable Proto unit.

I have no fear of tracking the car as many have and do track turbo 3.2s, an Australian boosted 3.2 (pacecars) has over 20,000 rally and track kms on it on top of it's original 70,000 and still hasn't been opened since the conversion (all stock internals).

Do some research and go for it, you wont regret it.

http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/911descr.htm
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Welcome! I am smack dab in the middle of the project you're alluding to. Check it out here:

Top End Rebuild and Turbo Project underway
Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Spence88....was that boosted track 3.2 from pacecars toorak?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yep Don built it, great guy by the way.

It raced Porsche Cup back in the day along with all the rallies.

It was actually supercharged, running I think .5bar and made 350hp.

The case has never been opened!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yep agree Don is a good guy...I've had my car with him for quite a while.

I read you conversion project with quite a deal of interest. Would love to do it to mine but unfortunately i have a 930/20 motor which has the 10.3:1 pistons. Also I have a bit of trouble getting my head around high compression pistons no intercooler and no problems long term. I think i need to become a believer
Old 06-05-2008, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well we should meet up sometime and you can take it for a spin, it'll make you believe! I live in St.Kilda and work in Windsor.

Unfortunetly high comp?! Never head that before, those models are the most desirable! Hang on 88, high compression? Import?

Anyway, my car will be intercooled in the next few months when I get around to it, just had so much work on. I'm swapping the AFM for MAP and frabricating an intercooler plus a lot of other stuff.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Spence 88.....Yep...its a ex UK car. Been here since the early 90's so you say that it is naturalised and now has Australian citizenship.

Would be interested to checking out your car for sure. I am in middle park so I am just around the corner.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Spence,

Are you going to shoe the IC in under the stock deck, how big and where. I spent a lot of time looking under there and there is not that much room.

K
Old 06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

DYB - sounds good, I'll PM you my number

911s - once you remove the AFM there's a bit of room, if you remove the condensor there's a fair bit... Belly condensor would be better anyway IMO. I've seen some really nice solutions, the best was 2 small intercoolers either side. I'm not sure which way I'll go yet but a local shop is up for the challenge of getting someting of decent size in there. I really dont want to mount the wing, though it is tempting.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I have seen custom fitted intercoolers that work under Burzels. You must cut the middle to put a bend/fold in the intercooler to wrap around the motor. I think a little sectioning/trimming of the edges of the collector and intake sheetmetal is necessary. The red RSR IROC car that was in Excellence a while back did this.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Cheers Fliegar I'll have to find some [pics of this red IROC, do you know which issue? Did it have a Carrera intake as these take up more headspace than CIS?
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
930 Burzel

The red car is explained here: FS: 930 RSR Excellece Featured Show Winner, 1st $45K

This white car is more outrageous and belongs to Bryan Beaumont. He vented the rear valance for more cooling.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

thanks heaps, I've seen that white one before, both are 930 engines so they dont have the AFM in the way but that's no big deal once I have MAP, I will be doing someting like the bottom one.

Cheers!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I likey the white one. A turbo narrow body ducky.

The chamber between the cores is interesting. One of the issues with a long IC core is that when the air cools it slows down. With the added chamber it may be effective at reducing back pressure inherent in that design.

I wonder if that was the thinking or if it was just a way to bend the IC over the motor.

I want one.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
I think it was mostly to bend the intercooler around the motor. Maybe you can PM him? It is really cool

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hi,

I "bent" the intercooler on Bryan's old 911 for 3 reasons:
1. My old source for the core I used to use in this application went out of business and I had to use larger cores (better in the end)
2. Get said bigger cores to fit inside Ducktail while working around the CIS (no relocation of CIS at all)
3. I thought it would look cool, a different way to get more cooling capacity,kinda 993 Turbo-ish. Make people scratch their heads, glance and it and think, "Huh? What's going on there?"

There's room to do this with the Carrera intake manifold, too, and there's plenty of room for the AFM if you use that. Pressure sensing is superior, but more costly. If you try long distance tuning with Protomotive, invest in an Innovate LM-1 and give him full datalogs. Otherwise, modern programmable ECU that's open, no proprietary code.

The rear valence venting was for cosmetics (RS/race car style) but mostly function: get heat out so the fiberglass bumper wouldn't melt away, relieve air pressure that builds up in back of car, and look cool. Slow going with air saws and die grinders, but not difficult.

A really fun car, one I would like to own.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone running a low boost blow through turbo system on a stock motor 3.2?

I was one of the first ones to have one installed

My goal is 300rwhp at no more than 7 lbs of boost.

We did 327rwhp

I plan on a raising rate fuel pressure reg.

protomotive fuel pressure regulator

At 5 to 7 lbs dose the timing have to be pulled back?

@.5 bar non adjustable boost with protomotive custom chip, your factory ECU has a range of settings that you can use but you wont need to touch them at that stage

Can the stock chip possibly work?

possibly not

Any recommendations or help appreciated.

you welcome
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Criss,

I love that car! A turbo Duckie is inspirational.
Nice work and thanks for the info.

There may be more room on a 930 motor with the low profile manifold.

Do you think this could work with a Carrera 3.2 ? Stock hood or duck on a 3.2 when retaining the condenser and A/C?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: