Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2-2.5 Bar Boost (34 lbs.) estimated at 500 HP,

'81 930 slantnose on ebay. Running at 2 to 2.5 Bar Boost (34 lbs.) estimated at 500 HP.

I'm speechless!
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Infidel

Maybe they are talking in absolute pressures, so 1.0bar is atmosphere, making the max boost in this case actually 1.5bar as we would read it. Still sounds high though, what else was done to cope with those boost levels?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I think I saw that ebay ad yesterday. Don't believe everything the owner says. 2-2.5 bar on a CIS engine? Also, the engine appears to be stock except for add ons? I'd say no thanks (don't like to deal with dishonest sellers or sellers that claim unrealistic hp, etc).
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbo 13b guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
Maybe they are talking in absolute pressures, so 1.0bar is atmosphere, making the max boost in this case actually 1.5bar as we would read it. Still sounds high though, what else was done to cope with those boost levels?
Nobody would word it like that. I come from the Mitsubishi world where regularly we see fast Evos, Eclipses, VR-4s etc etc run +-40 psi.

You have to have very hevy duty head studs and a headgasket and NO KNOCK tune. Bottom end wouldn't necessarily need to be built but it wouldn't last trmendously long without it.

So as far as the pressure goes that doesnt really impress me, it doesn't mean much if the tune isnt spot on. I dont know how the tune would be spot on with that injection though.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Nobody would word it like that. I come from the Mitsubishi world where regularly we see fast Evos, Eclipses, VR-4s etc etc run +-40 psi.

You have to have very hevy duty head studs and a headgasket and NO KNOCK tune. Bottom end wouldn't necessarily need to be built but it wouldn't last trmendously long without it.

So as far as the pressure goes that doesnt really impress me, it doesn't mean much if the tune isnt spot on. I dont know how the tune would be spot on with that injection though.

I agree completely, i was just wondering if there was another explanation, anyone even admitting to running anything over 1.2bar on an aircooled porsche engine would need to explain what he had done to allow it to be done safely. To be honest on the older 3.3ltr engines anything over 1.0bar would be considered dangerous, and to do it on CIS would be plain stupid.
Maybe he got his facts mixed up, there are plenty of people out there with tuned motors that know very little about the actual engine, he may have thought the boost levels were that high but in reality they might be way lower.
Is there a link to the car so we can all have a look??
Old 06-06-2008, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
I think I saw that ebay ad yesterday. Don't believe everything the owner says. 2-2.5 bar on a CIS engine? Also, the engine appears to be stock except for add ons? I'd say no thanks (don't like to deal with dishonest sellers or sellers that claim unrealistic hp, etc).
Heh, when I got my car it had a knob on it that would do that also! I'm sure it would make that much HP also.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

2 bars????? I want to see that WOT , it'll probably be the only one for that engine...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
for what is worth, our car runs

3.2 turbo- 17 psi low boost, 36 psi high boost on 116 fuel, at 14psi I was told the engine will let go, all of them were very wrong, build it right and it will hold

somewhere I have a video that shows the boost gauge, an old video but you get the picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwrdRyclmog

Last edited by juan ruiz; 06-07-2008 at 06:25 AM..
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Awesome, there is always something to learn. Congrats...
Old 06-07-2008, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: