Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pistons

Does anyone have any pics that compare the 3.3 Euro and USA versions of pistons. Here are mine and I am trying to figure out what they are. I have all three books open right now and can't find anything with such a short skirt so I am hoping someone has some other pics.
Thanks in advance!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I believe the Row versus the USA pistons are the same. Ruf used short skirted pistons in their 3.4l conversions. Have you measured the bores of your cylinders. Maybe...............98's?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave,
This is out of a factory 930 slope also. Appears they are stock pistons. Oh well, guess the books are only a starting point... nothing like hands on experience!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
What is the engine number? You can find it on the casting as shown in the photo below.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-09-2008, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The only marking I could find said 67F0091. That was on the 4/5/6 side by the fan strap mount. The top of the crankcase said 7207 on each half. That mean anything?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
The 67F0091 is the engine serial number. If you look at the photo I provided, you will see "930/66" in the one o'clock position from the oil sender. This is the engine type. Once you find the engine type, you can go to the Porsche PET parts list and find the proper pistons/cylinders for your engine........
That is if you have the stock pistons and cylinders for your engine. I don't believe Porsche ever put short skirted pistons in any of their engines. Special Wishes or otherwise. That's why I recommend you check the cylinder bore size and make sure it's a 97 mm cylinder bore.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ah ha... as soon as I get home this week I will find the number you are talking about and check the bore size. I think everything is pretty stock though from what I can tell so far. I finally got all the carbon off and am trying to find info about polishing the piston tops. I am wondering if anyone has ever tore down a motor with polished pistons to see if there was actually less carbon buildup or if it is just another form of snake oil that allows us to spend more time with the insides of our motors
Old 06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
You may be pleasantly surprised by some of the pieces on and in the engine. The cams, IC, IC down pipe, turbo mount, turbocharger are some of the pieces unique to the Special Wishes cars. The PET comes in very handy cataloging those parts.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

most of my stuff seems to be pretty stock. I am currently trying to research the specs of the SE version of the motor that could be ordered. Upgrading would allow me to stay in scca stock class. I have to figure out cams, other internals and turbo/IC that were used. Unfortunately there does not seem to be much info other then being 330bhp vs 285bhp. I am assuming cams and turbo/IC contribute the most with a 1.0 bar spring. If you have any info it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
There should be some number stamping on the end of the camshafts that will give the Part # for the cam profile. The turbocharger will have the blue and silver data plate which will give you the KKK turbo profile. The IC will either be the 965 IC or the standard 930 style IC.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: