Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I'm not sure I followed this well or not. Did it run for a time with no ball in it? Maybe the seals were blown out and they aren't going to re-seat. Are you sure it's oil blowing past the Turbo seals and not elsewhere?
That's what I'm wondering. I've also heard that a little oil can make a lot of smoke. Has this turbo been rebuilt, before? If so, did it originally leak oil into the intercooler? If so, did you clean the intercooler out? I guess what I'm getting at, is there old oil in your intercooler, from a previous turbo failure?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

When mine blew past the seals it filled up the IC and the Intake runners QUICK.
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

smokey joe

OK ,.... the seals in the turbo is a possibility though the turbo has only had about 8k miles on it from new (upgrade from the original dl3z). It had no bearing ball in the feed line before I got the car so it was running with out one for maybe 5k miles. I dont know if the previous owner had the same problem but it has been doing this intermittently ever since I got the car (and is why I dont ever really drive it).

When I puled it apart the other day I cleaned out any oil in the turbo/intercooler. I have driven it around a few days since then and it only started smoking now. I dont believe oil is getting in any other way then the turbo. I have checked leakdown (all cylinders very good) and no smoke during deceleration/engine braking. Just starts blowing smoke intermittently and when warmed up and normal driving.

So , most likely it has to be one of three possibilities...

bad turbo seals
too much oil flow to turbo
insufficient return flow from turbo
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
When mine blew past the seals it filled up the IC and the Intake runners QUICK.
Yeah, when my 3LDZ went south, man there was oil all over the inside of that intercoooler!!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloVo View Post
OK ,.... the seals in the turbo is a possibility though the turbo has only had about 8k miles on it from new (upgrade from the original dl3z). It had no bearing ball in the feed line before I got the car so it was running with out one for maybe 5k miles. I dont know if the previous owner had the same problem but it has been doing this intermittently ever since I got the car (and is why I dont ever really drive it).

When I puled it apart the other day I cleaned out any oil in the turbo/intercooler. I have driven it around a few days since then and it only started smoking now. I dont believe oil is getting in any other way then the turbo. I have checked leakdown (all cylinders very good) and no smoke during deceleration/engine braking. Just starts blowing smoke intermittently and when warmed up and normal driving.

So , most likely it has to be one of three possibilities...

bad turbo seals
too much oil flow to turbo
insufficient return flow from turbo
Hi,
Good info.

Does it smoke when it's cold?

If so, you could immediately pull the cold side connector off and see if oil is in the intake. If not I would pull the muffler and see if it is in the hot housing outlet. Don't let it warm up, if it smokes imediately upon start, I would stop and check those inlet/outlet fittings. This should confirm Turbo if you still have a question about it.

Then Flow and scavenger troubleshooting. It's quite possible that running for 5K without the restrictor screwed up the ring seals in the Turbo and a rebuild is in your NEAR future. Ya gotta fix it, if you ain't drivin' the car because of it!

Luckily, when I put the ball back in mine the problem went away pretty quick. My Turbo was brand new though. Good luck!
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

smokes only when warmed up. Once in a while is will smoke on start up but only a few seconds.

I am wondering what would/could go bad in the return pump system. it has a small oil leak near the pump and Im thinking if it is somehow pulling any air there it might not draw enough oil out of the tank. With the original oil return reservoir it often smokes bad on left handed turns as the tank is much longer (towards the left side) then the aftermarket tank forcing the oil back up into the turbo.

thanks guys for your suggestions/discussion .... this is really driving me crazy ... and I am getting ready to unload the car and go back to turbo volvos.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloVo View Post
smokes only when warmed up. Once in a while is will smoke on start up but only a few seconds.

I am wondering what would/could go bad in the return pump system. it has a small oil leak near the pump and Im thinking if it is somehow pulling any air there it might not draw enough oil out of the tank. With the original oil return reservoir it often smokes bad on left handed turns as the tank is much longer (towards the left side) then the aftermarket tank forcing the oil back up into the turbo.

thanks guys for your suggestions/discussion .... this is really driving me crazy ... and I am getting ready to unload the car and go back to turbo volvos.
Looks like it is time for an INTERVENTION, cause if you're thinking of going from a 930 to a Volvo, we got some serious Emergent issues to work out here, before things get real ugly real fast! If I hear you say Prius, me and Sand_Man are going to show up, and we're bringin Marlin Perkins and Jim with us, and jim is going to have that big Azz Traquilizer gun with him. You know, the one he uses on the Elephants!! I'm starting to see Electro Convulsive therapy in your immediate future...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Ensure idle is set to about 950 rpm. Less can become an issue, the scavene pump may not keep up with flow through the turbo.

Ensure you have good, correct oil. xxW50. If it's old, change it. Thin, old, oil can flow through the turbo more easily overcoming the scavenge pump capacity at low rpms.

edit: errr,... different Jim above, but I'll join in.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Looks like it is time for an INTERVENTION, cause if you're thinking of going from a 930 to a Volvo, we got some serious Emergent issues to work out here, before things get real ugly real fast! If I hear you say Prius, me and Sand_Man are going to show up, and we're bringin Marlin Perkins and Jim with us, and jim is going to have that big Azz Traquilizer gun with him. You know, the one he uses on the Elephants!! I'm starting to see Electro Convulsive therapy in your immediate future...
But judging from his user name, I'm guessing these are NOT "stock" Volvo turbos...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

no volvos

sorry for posting volvo pictures on a porsche forum .... but the 300 ponies in this guy make people wonder what just went past them.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
"3" Give us a little history on the motor. Back in the late 80's a freind had a line on one of those twin cams with the intention of building it up. They were supposedly high output from the get go, given the era. I thought these old twin cams were only delivered in europe.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

slow volvos

in the late eighties early nineties the 16v came here NA in the b234f engine (I have heard porsche had a hand in the development of that motor or more so the head), but in europe mostly in Italy, volvo marketed the 16v turbo in the 740s and 940s. These were only 2 liter engines as Italy ( maybe other countries) have or had some tax laws on larger engines. The 16v heads are cheap to pick up as those volvos are getting old. People arent keeping up any maintainace so when the timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons. I used to live Sweden and was able find and bring over the intake and exhaust manifolds from the Italian motor. Modifying volvos is pretty common in sweden as they are everywhere. 400+ hp is common in this setup (volvo internals were pretty stout) and a few drag guys are pushing over 1000 hp from a 4 cylinder.

Last edited by NoSloVo; 06-27-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Old 06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

Make no apologies...for the most part, you are among "car guys"! That V-car is insane!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Wicked cool NoSloVo - never seen a Turbo put to the GLE 16v motor before. Dig the overall direction you went with that too.

Even got the somewhat hard to find OE firewall strut bars.

Thanks for sharing!

I cut my teeth in an '80 242GT - no turbo tho. Group 6 cam that idle'd @ like 250 and sounded like a popcorn popper, full IPD suspension, Hoosier Autocrossers, etc. Good times.

Ah, memories...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-28-2008, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: