Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Which RarleyL8 muffler?

Hi all.

I need a new muffler to go with my other upgrades and wonder if anyone has any experience of RarleyL8 mufflers. I'm torn between the single exit (left side) and the centre zork style muffler. How do they sound? Do they enhance the 930 experience?

Thanks.

Robert.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

You should definitely contact him directly! RarlyL8 is a regular contributor and resource to these boards! He will take care of you. Just explain your needs and he'll walk you through the rest...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hey Robert,
The sound is the same or very similar for both due to similar overall tailpipe lengths.
The real decision is aesthetics.
With the stock exit you change nothing and have an appearance that looks stock, as intended.
With the central exit you have a few options; below the valance vs through the valance, stubby waste gate pipe vs 934 pipe. Both work with the Zork as well. You can also install a custom valance that completes the look and eliminates the stock exit hole.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Robert-

Like Sandman said - Brian is a well respected and valued contributor here. I've seen nothing but posts RANTING about his craftsmanship, service, and end-result product. Telling to me was seeing the cars people were putting 'his' systems on - higher end 930s, DP's, etc. Discerning owners apparently are in the know.

He ships *mine*... uh... TODAY! _WOOT_!!! 8-)

Thanks Brian!!!

Good luck - hope that helps...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I went with Brianís Zork/934 WG! Itís loud but demands respect/resentment from fellow motorists/neighbors.
Quality of the pipe and welds is top notch; itís really just how loud you want the car. Brian does make a muffled Zork now days.

You will get a lot of lookers asking what the small pipe is for if you go the 934 WG way.
Wife tells me I am hard of hearing anyway so itís a zero sum game for meÖhuh

Noting else sounds better than a Zork IMHO!

Good luck Robert!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Thank you very much guys.

I think cl8ton has convinced me about the zork.
Gotta wait till pay day and I'll put my order Brians way.

Thanks again.

Robert.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The zork is VERY loud. I have thick skin and still got tired of hearing it. For me the center exit muffled exhaust was perfect.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930LDR View Post
The zork is VERY loud. I have thick skin and still got tired of hearing it...
I agree. And this is coming from a guy who used to run "stinger", open pipe exhausts on all is air-cooled VW engines. At idle and at higher speeds, the zork is tolerable, but when you're starting out in first gear, just getting under way (no boost), the car actually sounds broken. Almost tractor like. It gets better as the RPMs increase. I dunno, I keep it around for kicks, but the novelty always wears off, and I soon find myself removing it. I have the passenger side exit RarlyL8 with the matching driver side wastegate exhaust.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
I nearly went with ^that^ Jeff. Brian convinced me to go dual outlet seeing as I have a huge concern about having both tips align *dead_nuts_even* - huge pet peeve of mine. He said best way to achieve was the true dual outlet approach.

Was supposed to go on tonight but that failed to materialize. Possibly tomorrow lunchtime, dunno - Father's Day plans intervening, trying to tackle durning their naptime muwhahhaahaa. Wish me luck I'll need it!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 06-13-2008, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
At idle and at higher speeds, the zork is tolerable, but when you're starting out in first gear, just getting under way (no boost), the car actually sounds broken. Almost tractor like.
I had a US customs agent tell me that I should really take my car in for servicing, as it sounds sickly. I had to shut it off in order to even speak with him, and of course a small backfire pop came out. However, on the highway, going from 70mph to 130 in a flash, the sound is addictive (or through tunnels). It's also a great wife repellant (good thing?).

Rob
Old 06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
So most people are saying Zork is too loud.

I looked at Rarly website and I see the centre exit muffler and it looks HOT.

I bought my headers off e-bay and I think their GSF with heat.
Will the Rarly centre exit fit on these?
They fitted straight on my engine with no hammering and look pretty much like b&b's.

Anyone tried?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a shot of my project in progress.
I think the headers are GSF?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
headers on their own.

Anyone recognise these?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
They do look like GSF but his design has been ripped off and cheap copies are out there.
Post a link to the seller, he does sell on ebay too.

Any muffler can fit any headers as the turbo is always located in the same place and the muffler bolts on to the turbo.
Of course the wastegate pipe is a different story as it is part of the headers.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 06-14-2008 at 08:57 AM..
Old 06-14-2008, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The same group of Chinese children make all of those headers.
Fitment can be a freaking nightmare.

Do not move the turbo to accommodate headers that don't fit.

I cannot emphasize that statement enough.
If the headers don't line up with the turbo then cut or bend them and fix the problem. Nothing will line up if you move the turbo.

Also, check the inside welds on those exchangers for potential turbo shrapnel. A flexible drill hone or a few lengths of chain dragging through the pipes should clean it up.

Unfortunately the Zork is not neighbor friendly. It also does not have a good tone until you are underway or spooling, then it is wonderful!

Yes my center outlet muffler will fit any KKK/T3 style turbo. The system is very adjustable to help accommodate aftermarket headers, turbos and some bumpers.

Beautiful engine, what all have you done?

Last edited by RarlyL8; 06-14-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Old 06-14-2008, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks RarlyL8

My idea was two fold.

1) I wanted to make sure the engine was as it should be before any mods.

2) The mods could be reversed fairly easily if I ever wanted to restore the car back to original.

I've had the bottom end rebuilt with new crank bearings. The rods have new bearings and ARP rod bolts. Head studs are 993. I bought a set of 97mm pistons and barrels with less than 13000 miles on them which were beautiful and very straight, and they've had new rings.
I've tidied up the ports on the heads for smoother flow and polished the exhaust ports and new in/ex guides fitted. The head faces have been skimmed slightly to make sure of a good seal and maybe raise the compression ever so slightly. I'm also removing the air injection so the holes have been plugged.
The cams have been changed to 964 C2 cams and I've installed the Chinese sweatshop headers. This is all being done on a very tight budget and I couldn't afford better headers.
Thats about it so far.

I've got a iA K27 HyFlow turbo and a TiAL 46mm wastegate with 0.6bar spring as I'm toying with the idea of an EVC boost controller. I've also got the springs for 1.0bar if I don't go EVC. I have a 965 Turbo2 intercooler which I'm planning to fit and I'm looking for tips on how to do this at the moment because I haven't got a clue but sand_man has helped me a fair bit with this so far.
Finally the cherry will be one of your beautiful mufflers.

Thanks for your interest RarlyL8.

Robert.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Forgot to mention I've done the hydraulic chain tensioner upgrade.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks RarlyL8

My idea was two fold.

1) I wanted to make sure the engine was as it should be before any mods.

2) The mods could be reversed fairly easily if I ever wanted to restore the car back to original.

I've had the bottom end rebuilt with new crank bearings. The rods have new bearings and ARP rod bolts. Head studs are 993. I bought a set of 97mm pistons and barrels with less than 13000 miles on them which were beautiful and very straight, and they've had new rings.
I've tidied up the ports on the heads for smoother flow and polished the exhaust ports and new in/ex guides fitted. The head faces have been skimmed slightly to make sure of a good seal and maybe raise the compression ever so slightly. I'm also removing the air injection so the holes have been plugged.
The cams have been changed to 964 C2 cams and I've installed the Chinese sweatshop headers. This is all being done on a very tight budget and I couldn't afford better headers.
Thats about it so far.

I've got a iA K27 HyFlow turbo and a TiAL 46mm wastegate with 0.6bar spring as I'm toying with the idea of an EVC boost controller. I've also got the springs for 1.0bar if I don't go EVC. I have a 965 Turbo2 intercooler which I'm planning to fit and I'm looking for tips on how to do this at the moment because I haven't got a clue but sand_man has helped me a fair bit with this so far.
Finally the cherry will be one of your beautiful mufflers.

Thanks for your interest RarlyL8.

Robert.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Wow, you have a more broad version of a tight budget than I do, ha!

With the mods you have listed your engine will be capable of 400WHP @ 1.0bar. That is a huge increase over stock.
It is unfortunate for the US that the world economy is where it is right now. In most instances we have no options but to buy from China if we have any hope of affording the things we want/need.

As for the C2T, I have a factory up-pipe that I can sell you if interested. That solves most of your installation issues.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: