Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

84 930 wastegate "boot" & k27 seal issue?

hey guy's,anyone know where to find a new replacement silicone boot for a stock wastegate.mine has at the edge or more-so the fold some minor daylight showing and i suppose that is where my boost leak is occurring? also in my 84 euro engine transplant should i also check for the earlier mentioned article about smoke occurring on the drivers side exhaust (esp. under acceleration). i have taken the k-27 11/11 off. i thought it might be the seals,since the history of it is unknown. the shaft has minimal play. an important issue that might help in the diagnosis of a more knowledgeable turbo expert is that i found oil in the cool side or intake pipe leading to the i/c. it went as far up as the base of the i/c connection pipe. no oil was apparent on either side of the turbo itself? any insight would greatly appreciated, esp.before i send it off for repair. thanks again for a great board to share with enthusiast , regards george
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

1. You are asking about replacement wastegate membrane, right? If "daylight" is showing trough cracks, yes it should be replaced. I don't know if Wayne carries it. If not, I believe Andial should have it.

2. There is always some oil in the intake. Most of it comes from crankcase ventilation. If shaft play is not excessive and turbo doesn't spew blue smoke on accelleration/overrun I would keep it for a while.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

turbo /wg boot

thank's for the reply all the way from sweden. a new boot is already in hand and will go in very soon.will test it with air pressure about 15-16 pounds or a little over a bar since there is a 1.0 spring implanted.hopefully this will restore the boost. the turbo has very little if not minimal play to speak of. i did read on the forum about several issues that could contribute to some smoking under acceleration. one being that a 9mm steel ball bearing that lives just under the pressure switch. they said to check to see if there is one in place,if not then this could increase pressure adding excessive pressure to the turbo oiling system thus the intake pipe coated with oil up to the i/c base flange. second is the crankcase ventilation. i have a large stainless braided line that goes from the rear outlet (just by the loop hook) or the pressure switch itself over to the filler oil neck. just a continuous line. there is, just next to the oil fill cap a small neck that i put a k/n filter that i have ran for many years on my old retired sc 3.0 without any problems. do i need a break in the braided line to properly vent the crankcase? could this be causing what appears to be excessive pressure, or the extra oil in the i/c intake as well some smoke just on the drivers side exhaust while under acceleration? i am vexed at this point. i hope for enlightenment from some of the gifted such as yourself. thank you very much for your time and sharing of knowledge, george
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Post some pics.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-14-2008, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hello George!

Yes, overfilling the turbo oil drain canister will let the oil pressure rise, overpower the camshaft driven scavenge pump and push oil trough bearings. Oil will seep both ways and coat the cold side in oil mist and make turbine burn it into blue smoke. In OEM design there is also a breather hose, allowing the hot vapor to be sucked up by engine and burned.

If you suspect BB check valve is missing, it might be the real reason of you smoke problem.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Smile turbo oiling issue

thanks for the information. we are attempting to check for the stainless 9mm ball to see if it exist's or not. regardless it sound's according to you that it (the large stainless line for oil breathing needs to have a vent of some sort. that will happen this week also. i do have several small k&n crankcase filters available that hopefully one would work. in your knowledge would you think that this would be adequate to lower the pressure? i do run a header system with the upgraded corresponding oil dump tank(cannister). thank's again for your expertise goran.
best regards george
Old 06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

George:

Usability of breather hose from turbo oil sump is somewhat debated issue as amount of oil running trough turbos CHRA (the middle part where bearings are) varies depending on turbo choice. While most other cars don't have dedicated scavenge pump for turbocharger, 911 has a lowly slung turbo that cannot use gravity to drain it's oil into crankcase and depends on separat pump to drain this small sump. Breather hose makes sure that pressure above oil line is equalized and that eventual fumes and steam are vented.

I personally believe that a breather hose should be used on 911...if it vents into intake or small filter isn't too important, as long as it vents to atmosphere.

Best regards,
Goran
Old 06-16-2008, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Both the B&B and the GHL drip tanks are not vented.

What would be the benefit if they were Goran?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Both the B&B and the GHL drip tanks are not vented.

What would be the benefit if they were Goran?
Frankly, I don't really know for sure...but if oil flow overpowers the scavenge pump with breather hose, the oil would climb the hose and start to gush from it's opening while still keeping relativly low pressure in canister. If there is no breather, there is a posibility that oil pressure would build up and find it's way out trough turbo bearings in more dramatic way.

Garrett's (and especially BB's) need less oil so this is probably less of an issue.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I guess your right!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up oil breather/k27 issue

thanks for all the great info. guys. found out through this forum the research into the 9mm stainless ball just below the oil pressure switch" was missing". replaced it with the slightly larger 10.5mm this i feel was the culprit in my oil misting of the intake pipe up to the i/c coupler. it all makes since. will will get the k27 back soon and be able to test it and the car for any previous problems. hopefully the brief run without the ball did not tax the turbo or it's seals. if so then a rebuild may be the next step. here's to confidence in a simple but important fix. thank's to all who lended a very helpful hand in my troubleshooting. you are a great bunch ! best regards and hopeful , george
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: