Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Jeff - what did JB Racing quote you on the distributor?
Old 06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
Jeff - what did JB Racing quote you on the distributor?
It's $1,500 for the distributor which includes the cap, rotor, and mounting clamp/bracket. Mike's plug wires are $380.00, and I like them because he uses two different colors to denote top plugs and bottom plugs. I'd probably sell my Clewett wires with my Electromotive kit.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

And I think I was wrong (misunderstood) about how Mike triggeres the CDI box. I think he uses one magnetic pickup out of the dizzy to split the signal to two CDI boxes then into the two coils. He keeps the other magnetic pickup as a spare, in case of a failure.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Well gang, the goods have been ordered. I went with the JB Racing 12 point distributor, and will be triggering the tried and true MSD 6AL boxes (two of them). Looks like I'll be selling my Electromotive XDi kit soon...

Stay tuned...more to follow!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'd like to see how you cope with the plumbing of the turbo to the IC when you do it.
Good luck!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I'd like to see how you cope with the plumbing of the turbo to the IC when you do it.
Good luck!
Yes it's gonna be tight. The 965 factory silicone boost pipe, might have some "give" in it. We'll see! It's bitter sweet: I love the looks of the big 12 point dizzy, but it's hard to beat how cleaned-up having my Electromotive coil packs on the shock tower makes things. Oh well, it's all a compromise. The dizzy will be in my hands tomorrow, and the MSD coils and CDI boxes will be here Friday.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My dad's V12 Jaguar dizzy cap looked cool when I was a kid
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Well UPS just delivered the bling! I'm speechless! The JB Racing dizzy is a thing of mechanical beauty!!! I'm beyond impressed with the attention to detail and the install intructions are top notch!! In fact, I've decided that it's too pretty to use, so I plan to have it made into a necklace that I can appreciate every day! It might even make a nice tie-pin or broach!

The only other time I had an experience as positive as this one, was in dealing with Neil Harvey of Performance Developments. At any rate, Mike Bruns, despite all of the things he and his shop must be dabbling in, took the time to personally answer any and all of my questions...and for those of you who know me, there were some stooopid questions. And when I placed the order, he shipped it within the hour and sent tracking info immediately!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

The JB Racing distibuter with dual MSD 6al and duel MSD blaster coils is the setup on my 1979 930 just finished in April. We could have gone with electromotive, but I like the retro feel of no computers. Mounted the 2 boxes on the firewall, and the 2 coils in the CDI box's spot. One lead will fire both units. We did have to massage things a bit to get it to fit, it is a large dist. cap. We used these 22deg hoses, and that got us around the dist. on the way to the intercooler. http://www.turbohoses.com/22degree.htm I am using the Blown6 965 intercooler. I set the 6al rev limit at 7000. Be careful installing the cap. If you don't come down straight you could break the rotor, it has that funky second story. Next I'm gonna put in some switches so I can turn one or both units off; see if their working and cheap anti-theft. So far this setup is great.

Last edited by turbodog; 06-18-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
The JB Racing distibuter with duel MSD 6al and duel MSD blaster coils is the setup on my 1979 930 just finished in April. We could have gone with electromotive, but I like the retro feel of no computers. Mounted the 2 boxes on the firewall, and the 2 coils in the CDI box's spot. One lead will fire both units. We did have to massage things a bit to get it to fit, it is a large dist. cap. We used these 22deg hoses, and that got us around the dist. on the way to the intercooler. http://www.turbohoses.com/22degree.htm I am using the Blown6 965 intercooler. I set the 6al rev limit at 7000. Be careful installing the cap. If you don't come down straight you could break the rotor, it has that funky second story. Next I'm gonna put in some switches so I can turn one or both units off; see if their working and cheap anti-theft. So far this setup is great.
Thanks for the info. I've got a factory 965 intercooler and boost pipe, so we'll see with a test fit just how close it will all be.

I'm just curious, what did you end with for timing?

I'm on Electromotive right now, and have been taking several timing readings. Because my current system has a MAP sensor, the timing can be quickly retarded as boost increases. My at idle timing is 24 degrees. Cruising, no boost, it varies between 27 and 30 degrees. WOT, full boost, I'm quickly down to 22 to 20 degrees.

So I had Mike lock down the advance and I'll just set the total timing to 22 degrees. We both think this should be fine, and eventually I'll be able to dial it in a dyno.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Thanks for the info. I've got a factory 965 intercooler and boost pipe, so we'll see with a test fit just how close it will all be.

I'm just curious, what did you end with for timing?

I'm on Electromotive right now, and have been taking several timing readings. Because my current system has a MAP sensor, the timing can be quickly retarded as boost increases. My at idle timing is 24 degrees. Cruising, no boost, it varies between 27 and 30 degrees. WOT, full boost, I'm quickly down to 22 to 20 degrees.

So I had Mike lock down the advance and I'll just set the total timing to 22 degrees. We both think this should be fine, and eventually I'll be able to dial it in a dyno.
Sand_man,
I surprised you're running that much advance at idle. Doesn't your engine start hard?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Sand_man,
I surprised you're running that much advance at idle. Doesn't your engine start hard?
No, it starts right up, cold or warm, it fires immediately.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Well UPS just delivered the MSD goodies! Being that mine is a daily driver, I hate to dive into these matters unless I'm 100% confident that I can finish the job without unforeseen delays. However, I'm seriously thinking about tearing into it this weekend. To simplify things, I'll probably leave the Clewett crank pulley on until I get it all working, and then switch it out next week for the factory pulley.

I started looking into the fitment of this big balla dizzy cap, and it's gonna be oh so close!!! I have a feeling that as I get into it for real, I'll be begging the Porsche gods for "just a c_nt hair more"! To which I expect a bolt of lightning to strike me dead! If it proves to be too much for the 965 boost hose, I still have my home-grown pipe, which might be another option.

I will mount the CDI boxes in between the shocks (where I have my Electromotive DFUs) and will place the Blaster SS coils where the old CDI box used to be.

Last edited by sand_man; 06-19-2008 at 07:36 AM..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

parts installed

Well gang, the deed is done. I finished the install early this morning, and it started on the first try. Everything was pretty straight forward and I only ran into one hiccup: interference with the left side fan ducting. Even though I have the later style sheet metal that wraps around the dizzy, as I tried to dial my timing in, the dizzy body hit the ducting and wouldn't allow me to turn it any further. The JB Racing dizzy has three slight "ears" around it for the cap to screw into, and this created some clearence problems. Needless to say, my German/Irish/Lebanese Catholic temper took over and I went Bruce Lee on that MOTHER F_CKER!!! After taking a sawzall and hammer to the sheet metal, I was able to create just enough room for the dizzy body to turn. Being that I no longer have heat, I have a proper block-off on order from Pelican...my current ducting is no longer pretty!

I was even able to use my factory 965 boost pipe, without modification.

Being that the JB Racing spark plug wires come extra long to aid with wire routing, the cap ends are unterminated, so you can cut them to length. Mike Bruns supplies the boots and connectors. So after about the first five wires, I soon became an expert in the art of spark plug termination! The bottom wires are black, the top wires are red...same for the coil wires.

To keep it simple, I have the advance locked out in my dizzy and have my total timing dialed in based on lots of experience with my Electromotive settings. To be conservative, I'm running 20 degrees total until I can finally reach a dyno.

How does it run? If I thought that my car was easy to start with Electromotive, now all I have to do is breath on the ignition key and it fires!!! Just stare it and it will start and run, even cold! It also idles smoother. The car feels to have more torque and the acceleration is crisper and a tad quicker on the low end of the tach; from a stand still up to about 3,500/4,000 RPMs. It just seems to pull steadier and with greater authority. Above 3,500 RPMs, I really don't notice much difference, and this is where a dyno would reveal what's going on. I expect things to further improve by increasing my spark plug gaps, but I just ran out of time for that, so I'm still running the smaller inductive ignition plug gaps.

Though I'm thrilled with this JB Racing setup, I will say that the Electromotive XDi is an excellent "turn-key" alternative that has plenty going for it. It served me well, and never once let me down. I've just always lusted after the big ignition distributor, and as I already mentioned earlier, Mike Bruns and JB Racing are a class act that exceeded all expectations!

I'll post pictures soon...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! Now post the damn pictures
Old 06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Good job!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Jeff, you are in picture debt. Shame on you.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4duke View Post
Jeff, you are in picture debt. Shame on you.
It appears that way! I'm such a tease! Soon...I promise!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Jeff,

Without stirring up old dirty water, I see your conversion has made some differences. I bet when the engine is under load it will make a further difference.

My only comment is the proof is there for all to find. I have alweays maintained that CDI is better than Inductive for power reasons and especially for these engines.

Those that say that F1 uses Inductive systems have not seen a FI system. We have to use 14VDC as a power source. They use power level enough to light a whole city. Big diffrence and to compare theirs to what we know is nothing close.

CDI does make a huge difference on these engines and that is all I have ever wanted to get across. I am glad you have seen a difference as well. Its no coincidence that the best Porsche engine builders use CDI over Inductive when given the choice.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Also, their cars are not turbo'd. I'm thinking that makes a big difference?

Last edited by NathanUK; 07-12-2008 at 05:04 AM..
Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: