Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Grey Strosek 3,6 got some wet tarmac training time lately, some pictures by my fellows www.carfreaks.net. Actually driving slippery surface when wet is lots of fun and very educating when studying 911 handling. It is also very much safer to study in the closed track than in the middle of traffic

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Green Strosek has been succesfully kicking multiple semi slick races and track days. Victories, podiums and pole positions as result I'm forced to retire for the winter: one of the drive shaft joints gave up and also front fenders has some minor things to be fixed because of the last race, but overall result of the summer is very uplifting.
The performance development plans 2.-3 years before and such a time to work for the development really paid back with wonderful driving emotions during this summer. This car will be even better next summer and some other maniac Porsches will be built in our garage for the next summer to add the fun factor.
Fun to follow Reaper935:s project and see when it is running...
I keep this location informed about the becoming development.
Plenty more of new fiber coming from Strosek to our garage
Old 09-27-2008, 02:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

Sounds like you had some great fun! Hopefully one of these days we can arrange a meeting in Europe with our cars...You project has been an inspiration of all kinds.

Any plans so far on the rear diffuser and undertray?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, they belong to the development program of this winter. I'll keep you informed Also I wll need FIA GT2 specs rear wing with the diffusor:
the rear of the car gets very loose over 270km/h and because of capability (GPS-test result in summer in Germany) of 345km/h top speed, more grip is needed in the rear .
Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage

So it was proved I got this car done and tuned to easy to drive, even my lovely wife Tanja got the taste of fast run by driving it (because I broke a while ago the 915 gear box of the grey 964 RS she is usually driving...)

Pics from the last race of this season: Last race: 2 Pole Positions, 1 victory in the first start, everybody else lapped during the race before the victory lane The second start was a big failure for me, another drive shaft relaxed and gave up, so I didn't leave the start line... Easy win would have secured me the whole season overall Championship of Porsche Racing Club Finland (now I only got the 1st position of hte series of the fastest street car class ), but because I wanted to drive maximum for my own satisfaction, I suddenly dropped to the 4th in total. anyway lots of fun, a very fast track in the scale of Finland.

Anway, the seasons last photos:
And boys with their toys: for this season I ordered the tailor made MOMO driving suit with precise measures, but they still delivered it with stupid mid stomach body bump. Let see if I can get next year more narrow waist cut suit I do have some similar problems as Reaper930: I also try to do the car suit my body: and the body with a reasonable collection of very functional muscles doesn't look too catwalk-like after some (not even too many) nice food and comfortable life gaining few extra kilos... If winter goes as I'm dreaming, my car will be 20kg:s lighter next year with driver

Last edited by petri; 10-17-2008 at 03:14 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
So now building 4 x 928 cars for different purposes...

Last edited by petri; 10-17-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Finland has also a strong movement to complain about environmental noise of the race circuits, like I know somewhere else in Europe has happened. And also Nordschleife has regulations of 97dB for the cars as an average day. Some tracks in Europe and in Finland are begging 95 dB, so I'm redesigning the exhaust system. During the last races in Finland I had temproary silencer to pass, but here is the solution I'm going to build for the next season:
1 big centre silencer and 2 side silencers, something like Apex or so... and still with optional additional silencer to add. and if there is a race where catalysator is obligatory (like in Sweden), then side silencers can be changed temporarily to race-cats. Here some phososhop and sketch. Of course the diffusor which is under construction would fit better in this way...

Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Blackbird Pilot

That's awesome Petri! The diffuser is going to really finish the exhaust system well, can't wait to see it!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Photoshopped rear view with FIA GT2-size rear spoiler... .

Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Me like track days

On an aircooled, I can't see how a diffuser could possibly function properly.

1) Too much required open space under the engine which cannot be 'diffusered'
2) But hey it would look cool

;-)
Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
for some reason i though there had to be essentially zero suspension travel for ground effects to be truly effective ( i mean safe and have a HUGE impact)...

car looks great,
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Gee, I didn't think about that, Craig you're such a party pooper!!! JK bro, just logical IMO

Could you possibly vent the cooling air out above the diffuser, or will he have to transplant a watercooled motor in that beast??

BTW, Petri, that car is AWESOME. I love the 964 as well. Did you say 915 trans? Is it a 964 clone built on an early car??

I love the body color piece between the taillights on the 964!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your comments, I do like my cars quite much as well , even if my opinion isn't completely neutral...

Did you say air and oil cooled, Craig? My green runs now all the time below the lowest line temperatures only, doesn't matter if 25 lap race or whatever... and in our tests with the diffuser prototype only problem has been how to mount it so permanently, that it really stays attached: power of the air tunnel to rip it of from the car is enormous.
I have 3 huge oil coolers in front, bigger one in rear and also oil lines are all the way >1" inside diameter or larger. This is very important aspect when having front coolers: too small lines causes the oil pump cavitation and damage, even if you meters showes that the temperatures and pressures are ok.

Also the diffuser must be easily removable, because we need to go from Finland to Germany by ferry and getting a very low car to the ferry means always some special adjustments, like rip of the diffuser on front bumper or something. Mr. Chamberlain in UK has been ruling last few years their club racing (even over 996 GT2 FIA-cars with his own self built 935 replica, which has active suspension and downforce bottom plates.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blzeebubalub/2473556512/
http://flickr.com/photos/gregmarshall/828694202/
Everybody has been telling such a problem

Yes Facey, you are correct with that: the suspension movements must be in very small scale. My green has max 20mm. movement now in suspension, so it is quite hard should I say:
rear springs 800lbs
rear sway bar 34mm
front springs 650lbs
front sway bar 28mm
Therefore it should work well with the bottom plate system. Also I have only 65mm clearance beneath the side skirts and front splitter, but in the middle of the bottom I have 130mm, so I have a sort of tunnel effect in the middle of the car.

Something must be done: front is quite ok because of front splitter and side skirts: the fast part in the ring, Flugplatz I can now pull over the crest with 270km/h speed without jumping to the air (there is not too many cars in the world which can do this) and brake no sooner than just before the Schwedenkreutz (to 190km/h) to go in. But the rear is really dangerous now when accelerating through Schwedenkreutz to 240km/h before braking to tight right hander to 90km/h. Also next downhill section (Fuchsrohre) is terribly dangerous to go through the bottom over 260km/h if not a reasonable change in the downforce of my rear... I'm not aiming too much of the outlook but controlled speed and time.
If I really want to be faster than any modern 997 of my friends (and I really will be), the bottom plate technology is must.

rsrmike, in this thread I have in page 1 link to my other thread where is more specific draftings about the cooling and air routes in different situations, craig has seen them already, but doesn't believe I think .
Diffusor bottom plate plans for 911
Yes, my 964 rs replica is originally -77 car but everything has changed (engine, body, brakes, suspension, interior etc.) except the gear box. I already have 3 extra 915 gear boxes in my garage waiting for change, so it's not so big deal to fix grey one back to the street.

Last edited by petri; 11-14-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Me like track days

Post a few pics of the actual diffuser installed you speak of, curious.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Rear bumper is not finished yet, so the rough prototype diffuser has been tested without rear bumper. No ugly pics to this thread, in January I hope I have time enough to finish the rear part around the diffuser and new always under 95 dB exhaust system
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Now recreating 930 suitable track aero body part mould samples out of the already tested Strosek-fitting front bumper and side skirts. When these are ready, we can fabricate both long and short nose versions and side skirts for both 930 and Strosek Widebodies.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Before building any physical diffuser, I'd run it through CFD software. You can often find engineering students who have access to it, if you don't know anyone in the real word.

I suspect that due to the engine you won't be able to have a smooth enough transition through the diffuser to prevent flow separation and thus have no downforce effect.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Some enjoyable driving with green Strosek 911 during season 2009 in between building cars. Diffusor didn't make it for this season, but some serious lap times in the leaque of street tyres happened, partly thanks for the temporary rear wing which really made this car more stabile.

Hitting lap times in Finland

Competing with Toyo R888 semislicks against racing slick cars: no victory yet, but let see in next season after some development.

The usual stuff of Green Afterburner.

The trip to the ring with a result of multiple under 8 minutes BTG in traffic with 20-30 passes per lap, the best probably about 7.45

Car is about to perfect for the Nordschleife, but needs some development for the slow tracks in Finland. The length of the gears must be optimized as well as some suspension setup changes. And the bottom plate system.

Last edited by petri; 08-26-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage

Some nice pic of Green in the Green Hell

Hitting the speed in Nürburgring.

2 of 20 Porsches from Finland back in the line for the ferry. And my daughters race car.

Racing car for my justborn (in July) daughter.

First race driven in the rain, it was actually lots of fun.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

if you don't mind me asking what kind of times your running at Nordschleife??
that car is pretty freaking sick btw..!! kudos!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: